Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
72jKjRT.jpg

Look at him during Witcher 2 development, clearly confirms that the original was the best game in the series.

Danikas

Arcane
Can you finish the game without killing anyone?

Yes. We have a completely nonlethal path throughout the whole game. Of course this is a dangerous, violent world, so you have to harm people sometimes. But you don't have to kill anybody. Any of the quests, street stories, open world content—you can go through the whole thing killing nobody. If you want to play like this—if you want to play for the achievement—sure thing. This is covered. This is one of the things that falls into freedom for me.

There was a story last year that mentioned you will have to kill some people. Was that changed based on feedback?

Yes. Last year you guys did these surveys for us. We looked at the feedback really thoroughly. There's a bunch of things we have improved based on that feedback. And we always look at what people say and what they think. Because when you're deep in something, you just don't see the forest for the trees. So yes, that was something we have changed. That has been in the design for quite some time, and it was in our heads as we were designing quests. Might be we have to redo a branch here and branch there. But then there was a moment where we were like, 'okay, we are committing to this. Let's make it, because we almost have it. Let's do it everywhere.' If the player wants to not kill anybody, they can do it. Some players will say 'this game is extremely violent'. But it doesn't have to be. You just can go in with nonlethal way and knock people down. You don't have to break legs, chop off heads or use the nanowire to slice people. You don't have to.

What options are there for nonlethal playthroughs?

Right now, every weapon and every cyberware has a nonlethal option. I think I can say everything. There's one thing: only weapons that are lethal by definition, so let's say you shoot someone with a bazooka in his face. You shoot his head off. That's typically lethal. So there are weapons that are so lethal that it can not go any way otherwise. But everything else actually has a nonlethal option. Pretty much every gun, pretty much every cyberware, you're able to use in a nonlethal way. You're able to knock them down, choke them, make them sleep and so on. There are ways not to kill them and spare them, like the way you could do with Sasquatch, the boss.

From interview with lead quest designer. Sounds like major fucking incline to me.

Last edited:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Would be better if its was reflected in quests and the story. If it had ingame consequences, not just an achievement.

Does this mean there is different ammo for most weapons like rubber bullets and similar?

There was a story last year that mentioned you will have to kill some people. Was that changed based on feedback?

Yes. Last year you guys did these surveys for us. We looked at the feedback really thoroughly. There's a bunch of things we have improved based on that feedback. And we always look at what people say and what they think. Because when you're deep in something, you just don't see the forest for the trees. So yes, that was something we have changed. That has been in the design for quite some time, and it was in our heads as we were designing quests. Might be we have to redo a branch here and branch there. But then there was a moment where we were like, 'okay, we are committing to this. Let's make it, because we almost have it. Let's do it everywhere.' If the player wants to not kill anybody, they can do it. Some players will say 'this game is extremely violent'. But it doesn't have to be. You just can go in with nonlethal way and knock people down. You don't have to break legs, chop off heads or use the nanowire to slice people. You don't have to.
I guess removing shitty leveled enemies and level-gating according to feedback wasn't something they cared about enough, on the other hand.

sullynathan

Arcane
I like how everyone ignored the RPS article saying the combat isn't good to focus on tranny shit.
Because his complaints are as vague as they can get.
Not to mention that if "good gunplay" was that much of an issue, most people here wouldn't love the original Deus Ex that much.
Like all the other vague shit about being to finish the game without killing that everyone is sucking up?

Arulan

Cipher
So we're getting Street Kid, Nomad, and Corporate for backgrounds, huh? I'd have liked to see more options such as Cop, Media, and Rockerboy, but if the reactivity is very strong then it may be worth the trade-off.

I think I'll go Nomad.

latest

Danikas

Arcane
Q: Will we be able to use the Militech spider robot and see what he can see?
A: Integral part of gameplay, but "too early to talk about it". Mentions again that game can be completed non-lethally. If you level to become Techie you can use and command Flathead (Militech spider robot). Has unique abilities and can be used to achieve things that other classes can't achieve.

Q: How different and unique can our characters be from a role-playing perspective? Will there be a morality system? Factions? Jobs or roles? Multiple endings? And how much can we affect the world state? Thanks!
A: Lifepath (nomad, corpo, street kid) defines how you start the game (gear, skills, connections...). Dialogue options tied to lifepaths. Story choices to ripple through whole game, decision made now can have effect on something you encounter e.g. 20h later. Endings crafted in similar way to TW3, multiple endings with variance in them

Q: We’ve seen some combat augmentations like the mantis blades, will we also see some augmentations that’ll have more non-combat uses?
A: Yes. For e.g. eye implants that translate foreign languages into player chosen language (seen in gameplay demo E3 2019). No others mentioned.

Q: Will players be able to go as hardcore with Cyberware as the Maelstrom gang, or will we be limited to simple augments?
A: Player can swap out most of his body for chrome (legs, arms, spine...), but can't go to Maelstrom level

Q: Will you be able to join other kinds of factions or gangs within the game that change your reputation within the world?
A: Non-answer. They kinda say that you wont join any gangs, but people like Jackie can join and follow you

Q: Is the game world related to Cyberpunk 2020?
A: Yes, continues P&P game story directly. 77 doesn't require you to know 20 lore, they will intro it to player

Q: Are you gonna be able to create your own characters/customize your character?
A: Appearance (hairstyle, skin color, facial structure, make up, cyberware...), augmentation (e.g. mantis blades) and clothing. They want to separate gear stats and gear looks from each other, still WIP how they want do it.

Q: Will there be mini-games or other types of activities to immerse yourself in Night City?
A: Yes. Hacking has its own mini-game, better you are more control and access you get. Car racing and boxing are in the game. Weapon range also is in.

Xeon

Augur
Maximilian Dood (big streamer) crew don't seem to have liked the demo.

They loved the first gameplay demo but seem to have found this demo pretty boring compared to that. I think they wanted more action type of gameplay instead of stealth and diplomacy type of stuff or something.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

They loved the first gameplay demo but seem to have found this demo pretty boring compared to that. I think they wanted more action type of gameplay instead of stealth and diplomacy type of stuff or something.
Popular streamer doesn't like it, I take this as positive news.

Yosharian

Arcane

Popular streamer doesn't like it, I take this as positive news.
Can't upvote this enough. Fuck most streamers and 'influencers'. Most of them are clueless idiots. Not all, but a lot of the popular ones.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I bet he is type of person who thinks that Nu-Doom is a great game.

Dodo1610

Arcane

The first demo really wasn't gameplay it was heavily scripted, anyone who thought that the final game would be like this simply lacks any understanding of video games. Aside from that most previews I read loved the presentation.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Not gonna lie, the E3 stuff got my sufficiently hyped for this game. I expect it to be quite a fun ride, like what nu-Deux Ex should have been, mixed with GTA and watch dogs, but good.

The presentation, visuals looks top notch, and the combat looks decent enough to not be annoying, who knows though. Keanu Reeves being fronted as the poster-boy makes sense, since Keanu basically has been in alot of sci-fi cyberpunky shit as others mentioned. It makes perfect sense to choose him.

2020 is looking to be a crazy year for rpgs. Who's gon' take the GOTY award, though?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
They want to separate gear stats and gear looks from each other
What the fuck this even means?

she is doing worldbuilding right.
you mean plastering "posters" of chicks with dicks all over the walls?
Where's that in Mike Pondsmith's worldbuilding P&P sourcebooks?

I bet he is type of person who thinks that Nu-Doom is a great game.
And why Doom is not a great game?
The timings & speed were ripped off from the original.

Perkel

Arcane
Witcher 3 already had an NVIDIA partnership. You can just not enable it. And CP2077 won't even have RTX GI, just reflections.

Game is still year away. Which means they will probably add more to it than just reflections. Especially since RTX doesn't require baking.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some people were starting to get anxiety from how combat and skills work together, so Miles Tost chimed in with a bit (it’s not much, but...):

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...077-at-e3-2019.11006239/page-26#post-11572450

Just skimming through the thread here after a long day of presentations and interviews, so please bear with me.

Guys, calm down, please. Enhancing your weapon skill through usage is still in and the increase in skill will affect your weapon handling.
Currently, we're also planning for that to affect animations, meaning for example that you will see your character reloading more smoothly as you become better. Things like these might change however, you know how it is.

And before you go out and wonder, if this system might not decrease your ability to freely switch to new weapon types: we are aware and are looking at different possibilities for catch-up mechanics. This game is about enabling you to do the things you want to do, and not taking those possibilities away by locking you in.

Hope that clears things up a bit. Always be nice to each other.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some people were starting to get anxiety from how combat and skills work together, so Miles Tost chimed in with a bit (it’s not much, but...):

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...077-at-e3-2019.11006239/page-26#post-11572450

Just skimming through the thread here after a long day of presentations and interviews, so please bear with me.

Guys, calm down, please. Enhancing your weapon skill through usage is still in and the increase in skill will affect your weapon handling.
Currently, we're also planning for that to affect animations, meaning for example that you will see your character reloading more smoothly as you become better. Things like these might change however, you know how it is.

And before you go out and wonder, if this system might not decrease your ability to freely switch to new weapon types: we are aware and are looking at different possibilities for catch-up mechanics. This game is about enabling you to do the things you want to do, and not taking those possibilities away by locking you in.

Hope that clears things up a bit. Always be nice to each other.

good! they are watering down the product to appeal to all the retards in search for quick gratification and who cannot commit to something from the start, not even in a videogame.

freely switch to a completly new weapon with barely any drawback whatsoever because catchup mechanics!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom