Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
My guess is that some of the quests will be decent and with multiple solutions, at least, but 80% will probably be "missions". We should have Witcher 3 as a reference of what this game will be, for good and ill. Personally, even if I am sure it's a great game for most people, couldn't play W3 for more than 3 hours before giving up on silly cutscenes, so I guess I am out of luck.

sullynathan

Arcane
Regarding Expansions, I never really understood why more "Open World" game companies don't do this. RockStar tried with "Episodes from Liberty City", but a game such as this if well received would be very suitable for telling 2-3 more "stories" of different characters and classes, whether that's a Judge Dredd-like Cop/Law Enforcer having to deal with the dregs of Night City, a Corpo having to set up deals and navigate a world of corporate intrigue and politics to come out alive and on top or a Cyberhacker/Trauma Team member with a lot of fitting missions and a mini-campaign around the respective job or whatever else with their own (shorter) content. They could even overlap the main campaign so there'd be opportunities for Player character Cameos and dead/otherwise dealt with popular characters reappearing.
Multiplayer & Microtransactions became so successful that R* gave up on Single Player expansions

Gerrard

Arcane
D9B-6HvXkAAeuSH.jpg
Bugatti's gonna sue.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Interviewer: How much do you deal with sexuality in 2077? As a European developer you’re likely to be a lot less puritanical about such things than an American company. They were implying last year that there is a lot of nudity in the game…

Lead Quest Designer: [laughs] Yes, a lot. But this is a game for mature players and the maturity is there in all kinds of ways, from the philosophical background of the game to the topics of the game, and also the sexuality is there as well. As a player you can pick the different body types for yourself, you can pick the different voice that you have. So you can… say you have a female voice but match it with a male body. And then you define how other characters perceive you. So basically, how they address you.

Interviewer: Do you mean pronouns?

Lead Quest Designer: It’s not exactly that but it gives you that effect. So you’re basically deciding how you define yourself. And in the game the romance and sexuality, it’s really present. Because we are sexual beings, that’s obvious.

Interviewer: It’s not obvious in games. There’s almost no sexuality in games.

Lead Quest Designer: We are CD Projekt, so it’s obvious to us. [laughs] Sexuality was very present in The Witcher games and I think here it’s even more present, but I think here we are a bit more mature because we are allowing the player to craft their own character a bit more. And also, in the customisation screen, if you want to have stronger female features on your male character you can do it. If you want to have male features on a female character you can do it. If you want to be a character that is less easy to define you can also do it. So it’s really up to the player as to what they want to do.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/17/cyberpunk-2077-preview-and-interview-i-just-love-my-work-9973737/

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
“Story goes first with everything”, but CD Projekt never had combat designers until Cyberpunk 2077

By Kirk McKeand, Monday, 17 June 2019 10:55 GMT

Traditionally in triple-A game development, a story was simply a thing to wrap around a series of events. In games such as Uncharted, the story would tie the set-pieces together. As our medium evolves, this is becoming an archaic way of working and writers are embedded on projects from the outset.

At The Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt Red, story is king. That’s how it was for The Witcher and that’s how it’s been for Cyberpunk 2077 as well.

“In our game, in our company, always story design, so the story goes first with everything,” lead quest designer Pawel Sasko explained during our E3 chat. “So the thing is that the quest designer and writer, they together figure out the story, the scenario. The quest designer writes the scenario, and then based on that we implement it.

“When it’s implemented our writers write the first dialogues and cinematic designers start making first scenes and so on. And we work together – quest designers, cinematic designers – to implement and make it perfect.”

From here a new key part of CD Projekt Red takes over: encounter and combat designers. These roles didn’t even exist at the Polish studio during development of The Witcher 3.

“In this game all those awesome playstyle sequences that we have seen, they’re mainly done by the encounter design team, and by the combat design team, so they’re looking into it – this is something we didn’t have to do in The Witcher, we didn’t even have the budget and the team and so on to do so,” Sasko said.

“Right now we have a separate team, a small one, that we’re working together with and they’re just adding ideas, implementing things, iterating, reviewing that part, just make sure that the combat feels good, that everything that happens just has correct rhythm and so on, because honestly it’s super easy to screw it up.”

Cyberpunk 2077 releases April 16, 2020. Cyberpunk 2077 will feature multiple endings, and you’ll be able to see the full extended E3 demo at PAX West. The entire game can be finished without killing anyone.
https://www.vg247.com/2019/06/17/cyberpunk-2077-combat-designers/

I look forward to watching this game on youtube.

McPlusle

Savant
some chucklefuck journo said:
In games such as Uncharted, the story would tie the set-pieces together. As our medium evolves, this is becoming an archaic way of working and writers are embedded on projects from the outset.
I vomited

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cyberpunk 2077 lets you collect a range of cars and motorcycles...
allows you to take any vehicle you can see in the game.
Each apartment you own also has a huge garage, allowing you to build up your collection...
It’s going to be plenty. And thing is that you can swap those cars, so you can decide okay that’s my main car.

So basically GTA

This game is becoming more of an RPG every day

In Might & Magic VII I had a huge castle, it let me to upgrade it with golems and allowed me to "collect" any schmuck from the street.
Do you dare to say that MM7 was not an RPG because of that?
Or you're too young to even know what MM7 is?

If Cyberpunk 2077 will not be a well defined RPG is because of all other reasons, not because it allows you to collect cars/weapons and store them in your crib.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
At this point this game is basically "See that mountain? You can climb it" + Keanu Reeves.

“Story goes first with everything”, but CD Projekt never had combat designers until Cyberpunk 2077

By Kirk McKeand, Monday, 17 June 2019 10:55 GMT

Traditionally in triple-A game development, a story was simply a thing to wrap around a series of events. In games such as Uncharted, the story would tie the set-pieces together. As our medium evolves, this is becoming an archaic way of working and writers are embedded on projects from the outset.

At The Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt Red, story is king. That’s how it was for The Witcher and that’s how it’s been for Cyberpunk 2077 as well.

“In our game, in our company, always story design, so the story goes first with everything,” lead quest designer Pawel Sasko explained during our E3 chat. “So the thing is that the quest designer and writer, they together figure out the story, the scenario. The quest designer writes the scenario, and then based on that we implement it.

“When it’s implemented our writers write the first dialogues and cinematic designers start making first scenes and so on. And we work together – quest designers, cinematic designers – to implement and make it perfect.”

From here a new key part of CD Projekt Red takes over: encounter and combat designers. These roles didn’t even exist at the Polish studio during development of The Witcher 3.

“In this game all those awesome playstyle sequences that we have seen, they’re mainly done by the encounter design team, and by the combat design team, so they’re looking into it – this is something we didn’t have to do in The Witcher, we didn’t even have the budget and the team and so on to do so,” Sasko said.

“Right now we have a separate team, a small one, that we’re working together with and they’re just adding ideas, implementing things, iterating, reviewing that part, just make sure that the combat feels good, that everything that happens just has correct rhythm and so on, because honestly it’s super easy to screw it up.”

Cyberpunk 2077 releases April 16, 2020. Cyberpunk 2077 will feature multiple endings, and you’ll be able to see the full extended E3 demo at PAX West. The entire game can be finished without killing anyone.
https://www.vg247.com/2019/06/17/cyberpunk-2077-combat-designers/
I look forward to watching this game on youtube.

They didn't have a combat designer for the Witcher games, that explains so much.

So basically Uncharted isn't even storyfag enough for them? Remind me again why I should be looking forward to this game.

The "them" that said that is whoever wrote the article, not the person they were interviewing.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess PJW probably earned himself some free games on GOG and a few barrels of Gwent cards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom