Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

KK1001

Arbiter
The Witcher 3's combat was unbearably bad, worse than Planescape Torment's in that while the latter was bad, it was at least banal instead of atrocious, mostly optional, and easy to get through.

That they have an encounter and combat team tells me that this game will already be better.

Codex Year of the Donut
The Witcher 3's combat was unbearably bad, worse than Planescape Torment's in that while the latter was bad, it was at least banal instead of atrocious, mostly optional, and easy to get through.

That they have an encounter and combat team tells me that this game will already be better.
Witcher 3's combat was nothing special but it wasn't horribly bad.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
It's great when a game allows for a pacifist run, but I hope they'll come up with something more interesting than "you can kill a guy with a bullet or knock him out with a tranquilizer dart". I mean, what's the point if there's no meaningful difference in gameplay? Probably the most satisfying pacifist (or near-pacifist) runs are in games that aren't necessarily designed for a non-lethal approach but which allow it due to the flexible mechanics and open-ended quest and level design, requiring the player to know the game and its mechanics very well and use a fair bit of creativity in order to be able to pull it off. Being a pacifist should be fucking hard and really put the player to the test.

TW3's combat was easy as hell, which also was its biggest flaw. I guess the same applies to PS:T too. Of course both games' combat had major issues, but being easy is probably the single greatest sin an RPG combat system can commit — not only does it make combat a complete waste of everyone's time but it also makes character development and itemization utterly pointless.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

[Going into RPG mechanics I saw a background system...] Yes you get to choose 3 lifepaths... it's how your character grew up... life paths are Nomad, Street Kid and Corporate.... Very vast (?) and different lifepaths.... interacting with people changes your dialogue options... [Since you are a level designer, how much can you explore the world?] You can roam the world freely without any constraints... We removed all loading screens... You can move around... seamlessly transition into buildings... Its kind of cool from a mechanical POV how you can traverse the world... we have a double jump, charge jump, sprinting, climbing and vehicles... you get to drive cars and own them, customize them (!)... [This is an RPG, let's speak about choice] We are adding a so-called "freedom of gameplay".... allows you not only to play a nonlinear branching story but a nonlinear branching gameplay (?)... you can play the game non-lethally or kill everybody... there's attribute points to spend... they affect your dialogue choices... [Is there anything I forgot to ask you? (?)] There is a small detail... Your weapon skills increase via usage... like in real life... as your skill increases the crosshair becomes smaller, the recoil reduces, the reload speed increases.... the animations become smoother, I think that's a wicked little detail... If you want to learn different weapons mid-game you can go train at the shooting range for example, you get a buff that increases your skill leveling speed...

The interviewer can barely string words together btw

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is it just me or CDPR is blabbing out a bit too much about how the game works? I mean the setting and aesthetics is already a bit too predictable as it is, leave at least the mechanics to be a surprise.

Quillon

Arcane
Is it just me or CDPR is blabbing out a bit too much about how the game works? I mean the setting and aesthetics is already a bit too predictable as it is, leave at least the mechanics to be a surprise.

so people can call it futuristic gta with more plausibility, right

Herumor

Scholar
They want to keep up the hype, though I have no idea how they plan to do that until April next year. Sure, the gameplay footage they're going to show at PAX West will help with that for a while, but what else can they do?

Quillon

Arcane
They want to keep up the hype, though I have no idea how they plan to do that until April next year. Sure, the gameplay footage they're going to show at PAX West will help with that for a while, but what else can they do?

If W3 is any indication, they'll make moar trailers, moar private showings, especially in closing months.

Gameplay at next pax, trailer at TGAs, private showing in SF after gdc, more trailers/gameplay vids in closing months(assuming game won't be delayed.)

Paul_cz

Arcane
So an interactive movie. Can't say that would be a surprise.

Because every storydriven game is interactive movie. Bloodlines - interactive movie. Deus Ex - interactive movie. Torment - interactive movie. You guys are embarassing.

They have very different marketing style than Rockstar. Rockstar releases one cinematic 2 minute trailer once per year or so, doesn't show any gameplay whatsoever, doesn't do almost any interviews whatsoever.
CDP does the exact opposite. I kinda wish they would go the Rockstar route but at the same time I like seeing development progress, so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
78114515.jpg

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
TW3's combat was easy as hell, which also was its biggest flaw. I guess the same applies to PS:T too. Of course both games' combat had major issues, but being easy is probably the single greatest sin an RPG combat system can commit — not only does it make combat a complete waste of everyone's time but it also makes character development and itemization utterly pointless.

Even if the game was more challenging with better encounter design the game systems would have still been trash. The horrible, bloated itemization and enemies whose power is dependent on the level is MMO inspired crap that has no place in single player games.

Level 50 dogs and nekkers coexisting with level 5 gargoyles and level 3 royal wyverns is some crappy ass world design. Or forging a legendary sword that turns out to be junk because you're overleveled when you receive it.

In that regard PST is miles ahead of Twitcher 3 or any other modern RPG.

Tigranes

Arcane
TW3 was a Hollywood blockbuster storyfag's orgasm trapped in a MMO architecture, trying vainly to achieve actually meaningful and entertaining gameplay - and occasionally doing so, usually in highly scripted moments.

I do think it was a good game and worth experiencing, but primarily as an insane man's concentration of everything EPIC into one swirling saga of riding your horse into wartfaced barons and tarty maidens.

I imagine Cyberpunk will ultimately be quite similar, though perhaps replace the MMO architecture with the "lots of systems and buttons and stuff, but ultimately none of them really matter and you just press A when you're told to" modern AAA design.

Prime Junta

Combat in Twitcher 3 was just fine.

It was the MMO mountains of leveled loot with the retardedly grindy crafting and treasure hunts that let it down.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Even if the game was more challenging with better encounter design the game systems would have still been trash. The horrible, bloated itemization and enemies whose power is dependent on the level is MMO inspired crap that has no place in single player games.

Level 50 dogs and nekkers coexisting with level 5 gargoyles and level 3 royal wyverns is some crappy ass world design. Or forging a legendary sword that turns out to be junk because you're overleveled when you receive it.

In that regard The Witcher 1 is miles ahead of its sequels :negative:

Few games can match it's simple but elegant and impactful itemization. You really appreciated equipment upgrades and some were connected to the story. Character development was not perfect due to the ARPG nature of the game and arbitrary split between six fighting styles... but still miles ahead of Witcher 2&3.

Regarding PST, its combat is cheesy AF & easy... but I found it quite fun.
Unlocking various OP abilities and butchering enemies with graphic animations. Some of those you had to earn or were exclusive to certain story choices.

Same combat category as Fallout 1 & 2 really, just different emphasis (there it was different weapons and crit gibs).

I enjoyed the combat both in PST and F1&2. In both cases it was a part of a marvelous package.

Last edited:

RaptorRex888

Learned

Few games can match it's simple but elegant and impactful itemization. You really appreciated equipment upgrades and some were connected to the story. Character development was not perfect due to the ARPG nature of the game and arbitrary split between six fighting styles... but still miles ahead of Witcher 2&3.

Regarding PST, its combat is cheesy AF & easy... but I found it quite fun.
Unlocking various OP abilities and butchering enemies with graphic animations. Some of those you had to earn or were exclusive to certain story choices.

Same combat category as Fallout 1 & 2 really, just different emphasis (there it was different weapons and crit gibs).

I enjoyed the combat both in PST and F1&2. In both cases it was a part of a marvelous package.
The biggest betrayal is what they did to the Cat potion in later games.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Few games can match it's simple but elegant and impactful itemization.

A bit too sparse, TW2 hit the balance just right in my book. I liked TW2 chardev the most too.

However TW1 had the best vibe, by far the most Sapkowski game ever. TW3 in comparison is hollywoodized and blockbusterized. That said it's the smartest, coolest and most tasteful Hollywood blockbuster in all gaming.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
TW2 itemization: Throw Aerondinght to the bin in the end of Chapter 1. :negative:
You can get it again in TW3 DLC

So it is a unique priceless artifact the Lady of the Lake Knights you with, then vendor trash replaced in the first random swmp area you find yourself in, then again... something (under a junk leveled loot system). :negative:

I salute the consequence and consistency...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom