Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

norolim

Arcane
While what you say is certainly true in our world, were not talking about the "real world" here, were talking about a science fiction (emphasis on the word "fiction" here) videogame
Ah, the best argument of them all. It's fickshun, so it doesn't have to make sense.

Häyhä

Arbiter
Verisimilitude.

Cultural verisimilitude vs. generic verisimilitude. It's plausible considering the genre and setting.

How they will implement it is a different issue and for the record, I agree with you, I don't care for the trend of inserting preachy, feministic identity politics in my entertainment, in fact it quite pisses me off. It will remain to be seen how it will be handled in the game, it might very well be the case of what you say.

Ah, the best argument of them all. It's fickshun, so it doesn't have to make sense.

Ah, the best way to debate someone, pick a single sentence and ignore the rest because you haven't got actual argument to disprove it. :)

Transhumanism, look it up.

Again, in a setting where people can literally transfer their conciousness into a full-cyborg body, it makes perfect sense and is a complete non-issue.

:dealwithit:

Last edited:

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron

Again, in a setting where people can literally transfer their conciousness into a full-cyborg body, it makes perfect sense and is a complete non-issue.

Absolutely correct, this is the interesting direction to take it. But while we can generally ponder what will and will not be incorporated into CP2077, there is absolutely no chance a straight-faced, adult exploration of transhumanism(aka the speculative endpoint of our species and history) will be present. This isn't exactly Philip Dick or Heinlein we're talking about. Women with cyborg penises is about as far as it goes, I think.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
And if you can get robot parts and cyborg dinks and ninja-fighting firmwares, and we've ascended past such peasant-level distinctions as human, female, male, etc., then why have an 'all-female' prostitute group to begin with? Eating cake and having it, is what this is.

Harthwain

Magister
And if you can get robot parts and cyborg dinks and ninja-fighting firmwares, and we've ascended past such peasant-level distinctions as human, female, male, etc., then why have an 'all-female' prostitute group to begin with? Eating cake and having it, is what this is.
Where did you get that information? All I can find is this:

Formed in 2076 after the death of Elizabeth “Lizzie” Borden, a strip club owner & ex-prostitute who treated her workers fairly and defended them from violent clients, The Mox refer to themselves as “those who protect working girls and guys” from violence and abuse.
Doesn't say anything about members being only women. It even states that it protects both "working girls and guys". So where is this "all-female prostitute group of strong women" claim coming from?

hilfazer

Scholar
I have a question to Cyberpunk experts (sorry if it was already answered):

How does the double jump work? Or is it a CDP Red's invention? In any case i'd like to know how it works.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Absolutely correct, this is the interesting direction to take it. But while we can generally ponder what will and will not be incorporated into CP2077, there is absolutely no chance a straight-faced, adult exploration of transhumanism(aka the speculative endpoint of our species and history) will be present. This isn't exactly Philip Dick or Heinlein we're talking about. Women with cyborg penises is about as far as it goes, I think.

Revelation of the method. Predictive programming. Lots of concepts at work. I just know that the future will behold humans trying to get a fucking SSD implanted into their skull, and their responsive quip will be, 'yeah bro, I saw it in Cyberpunk 2077. We all gotta get ready for the future.' The fact is the future is being written for you by creepy mother fuckers at a variety of institutions and power bases, most of whom we're not familiar with or give a shit about - just as it was with rock and roll, the counter culture, modern feminism, and a gazillion other social movements.

It can be difficult to nudge the needle forward with producers and philosophers. Consumers? Easier than tuning a sun dial in the shade. With predictive programming, I wouldn't worry about a Phillip K Dick or a Robert Heinlein (future vision), but rather the likes of Edward Bernays or Saul Alinsky (future actual).

Danikas

Arcane
Edward Bernays

"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, and our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of…. It is they who pull the wires that control the public mind."

From book called Propaganda published in 1928.

Machocruz

Arcane
Revelation of the method. Predictive programming. Lots of concepts at work. I just know that the future will behold humans trying to get a fucking SSD implanted into their skull, and their responsive quip will be, 'yeah bro, I saw it in Cyberpunk 2077. We all gotta get ready for the future.' The fact is the future is being written for you by creepy mother fuckers at a variety of institutions and power bases, most of whom we're not familiar with or give a shit about - just as it was with rock and roll, the counter culture, modern feminism, and a gazillion other social movements.

It can be difficult to nudge the needle forward with producers and philosophers. Consumers? Easier than tuning a sun dial in the shade. With predictive programming, I wouldn't worry about a Phillip K Dick or a Robert Heinlein (future vision), but rather the likes of Edward Bernays or Saul Alinsky (future actual).
Hey are you familiar with Alan Watt? Cuttingthroughthematrix . com?

Yosharian

Arcane
A few cyborg parts doesn't change your sex...

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Hey are you familiar with Alan Watt? Cuttingthroughthematrix . com?

I have a bunch of his old archived shows on disc. Probably buried under my bed somewhere with my silver tablets and spare HAM radio parts.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
were talking about a science fiction
"It's magic, I gotta explain shit" is not an excuse for bad writing, which this instance most undoubtedly is.

Events, characters, locations et al in a fictional world need to make a certain amount of sense for audiences to be able to suspend disbelief and get immersed into the story. You can't get immersed when you know something this stupid exists in the game (and is likely not the only instance) and know nobody dared criticize its inclusion internally, and will not criticize its existence externally, because they fear backlash from leftist nutjobs.

from the movie The Warriors to Sin City which I mentioned before
"Someone did something retarded before so it's okay for others to do the same retarded thing."

I'm pretty sure there have been quite a few female gangs in the real world as well.
You could at least try not to sabotage your own arguing position within the same post. There have never been all-female gangs IRL, for the simple reason that women make for poor muscle to protect your interest from other gangs.

Have there been female gang leaders? Yes, there have been a few rare examples of those, but they were universally nasty people, often worse than their male counterparts, usually out of necessity to prove they credibility in the criminal underworld - and were also particularly brutal to any woman there were unfortunate to fall under their thrall. No "fo da sisterhood" to be found here.

Besides, in a world with cybernetic full-body modification available quite commonly, the physical difference between males and females would be basically rendered indistinquishable when we're talking about CYBERNETIC BOOSTER GANGERS so there's also that.
All things being equal, why not just hire another male thug? Chances are it's far easier to improve his combat effectiveness with cybernetics than it is to do so for a woman, to say nothing about the hormonal, instinctual and psychological differences between men and women - as in, men are far better suited to the application of violence than women will ever be.

I really don't understand getting all up-in arms with a minor non-issue
It's just further proof that CDPR is pozzing the game up with leftist agenda pushing. Granted, it's a small issue in and of itself, but people are also well aware that it is not the only warning sign that there is something very rotten going on with 2077.

like this when there are probably quite a few real problems (shitty looking combat for example)
Are not allowed to mock the game for both the bad gameplay and the bad storytelling/world-building?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There's a difference between "suspension of disbelief" and "realism." A game like Cyberpunk needs the former, not so much the latter, in my opinion.

Häyhä

Arbiter
"It's magic, I gotta explain shit" is not an excuse for bad writing, which this instance most undoubtedly is.

Events, characters, locations et al in a fictional world need to make a certain amount of sense for audiences to be able to suspend disbelief and get immersed into the story. You can't get immersed when you know something this stupid exists in the game (and is likely not the only instance) and know nobody dared criticize its inclusion internally, and will not criticize its existence externally, because they fear backlash from leftist nutjobs.

That's a lot of presumptions there, but little facts. It's doubtful you know anything about the actual development of the game and what was or wasn't criticized. Neither do you know how the actual finished storyline regarding The Moxes is written so for now it's more of presumptions and not facts. If you're mentally incabable of picturing a gang (all-female or mixed sexes, to be fair we don't even know if they are all-female, all we have is a name and gang sign) that's providing protection for prostitutes then that's really your personal problem which doesn't really concern nor interest me.

You could at least try not to sabotage your own arguing position within the same post. There have never been all-female gangs IRL

Looks like you're wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_gangs_in_the_United_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukeban

Female gang members can function in one of three capacities, as theorized and defined by Walter Miller: independently functioning units, coed gangs, and female auxiliaries to male gangs.[1] Independently functioning units are all-female gangs that operate under their own gang colors and name, without oversight from existing male gangs. Coed gangs possess both male and female members. Most leadership positions are held by males, although Taylor notes that positions and power held by female members varies from gang to gang, and are often dependent on the gang's structure, most notably whether or not it operates for profit.[1] Female auxiliary gangs adopt the symbols of and modify the name of an existing male gang, but operate semi-autonomously. They act in the interests of the male gang, but control member initiation and internal affairs of the group.

There's nothing inherently unrealistic about either an all-female gang or a gang that's protecting prostitutes, especially considering the setting of Cyberpunk 2077. It will all depend how those subjects are handled in the actual game, they can be handled well, or they can be handled extremely poorly.

All things being equal, why not just hire another male thug? Chances are it's far easier to improve his combat effectiveness with cybernetics than it is to do so for a woman, to say nothing about the hormonal, instinctual and psychological differences between men and women - as in, men are far better suited to the application of violence than women will ever be.

Why do people form any sort of exclusive groups? Why do we have all-male country clubs or all-female knitting societies? Maybe they're all man-hating lesbians.

Are not allowed to mock the game for both the bad gameplay and the bad storytelling/world-building?

You're allowed to mock whatever you want, even minor non-issues like this, whereas other people are also allowed to question said mocking.

Terenty

Liturgist
This Cyberpunk setting always seemed retarded with its retarded gangs, fashion, haircuts etc. Deus Ex shits on it from a mountain

Dexter

Arcane
"Formed in 2076 after the death of Elizabeth “Lizzie” Borden, a strip club owner & ex-prostitute who treated her workers fairly and defended them from violent clients, The Mox refer to themselves as “those who protect working girls and guys” from violence and abuse"
Funny thing is this doesn't seem to be only an IG reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizzie_Borden
https://thefederalist.com/2018/09/20/lizzie-celebrates-murder-feminist-empowerment/

It is like this lore was imagined by a hello kitty adolescent girl that projects her hopes and "wouldn't that be swell" dreams with no foothold in reality/some universal truths.
nFMeYvV.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom