Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Specs for the PC that ran the demo at E3:

CPU: Intel i7-8700K @ 3.70 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V, 2x16GB, 3000MHz, CL15
GPU: Titan RTX
SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB M.2 PCIe
PSU: Corsair SF600 600W

With all the people that are preordering on the old consoles, when it will run like absolute horse shit, I foresee a huge backlash for CDPR

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I kind of want to upgrade my 1060 for this game, but I kind of also want to wait and see what the new consoles will do to PC graphics cards. Decisions, decisions...
Be happy you have a 1060, because I have a 960 (4GB) and will probably need a 1660 (6GB).

“You can be one of the nomads as a player and you can start there, being part of a family of the Nomads,” Sasko explained. “You could call them a tribe that is living in cars and they’re just driving over Badlands.
this sounds pretty great. i was worried we'd have no difference in where we start regardless of life path

ZVERMIX

Learned
Patron
Insert Title Here My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I kind of want to upgrade my 1060 for this game, but I kind of also want to wait and see what the new consoles will do to PC graphics cards. Decisions, decisions...
I'm tempted to give in to the ray-tracing hype and get 2060/wait for 2070 discounts.

Quillon

Arcane
“You can be one of the nomads as a player and you can start there, being part of a family of the Nomads,” Sasko explained. “You could call them a tribe that is living in cars and they’re just driving over Badlands.
this sounds pretty great. i was worried we'd have no difference in where we start regardless of life path

Really great! Different starting locations would be awesome for replayability and early game burnout for the compulsive re-starter :P

“You could call them a tribe that is living in cars and they’re just driving over Badlands. They’re doing various jobs for fixers, and for people in the city, and doing various deals – I don’t want to disclose too much because not to spoil the story.”

Wonder if Nomads has MC-like hierarchy, whether we'll get SoA vibes in the game? :bounce:

Bet Corpo lifepath will start as a rich kid, his parents murdered in an alley way :D

Last edited:

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm tempted to give in to the ray-tracing hype and get 2060/wait for 2070 discounts.

The game is still 10 month away, I am planning to wait a bit before I buy a card, It will be cheaper 5-6 months from now.

Quillon

Arcane

Being better with particular weapons will unlock special dialogue in gun stores, which will unlock a new weapon of that type... noice!

Leorgrium

Educated
D9B-6HvXkAAeuSH.jpg

Quillon

Arcane
Is there cyber implant shit that could control wild animals in CP universe?

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Cyberpunk 2077 has grand ideas, but some sloppy execution
Hold your breath.
Miguel Moran 17/06/19 0 Comments

If you spent any time at E3 this year, it would have been immediately clear that Cyberpunk 2077 was biggest game at the show. The huge, gaudy booth on the show-floor had lines of people spilling out of it every day, eager to get a glimpse at the upcoming CD Project Red title. Make your way up to the discreet meeting room area with hallways of unassuming doors and basic signs displaying the name of each company, and you’ll run into a massive Cyberpunk poster surrounded by huddled fans and media people waiting for their turn at an extended hands-off demo viewing.

Cyberpunk 2077 has promised to be a lot of things, and fans across the world are itching to see and play one of the most ambitious games of this generation. As someone who saw this 45-minute gameplay demo, allow me to say that you should temper your expectations.

Our Cyberpunk demo begins with V, the protagonist of Cyberpunk 2077, discovering the chip in his head has some massive secrets held within. He’s given a mission to track down more info about it, and is ready to go track down his informant. First, though, we need to customize our V. Many times throughout the demo, there’s a bizarre disconnect between what is explained to us by our developer guide, and what actually happens in the game. This is the first of those instances.

We see a character customization screen open up with a variety of options and sliders, and our developer guide promises that in Cyberpunk 2077, you can customize V to look any way you want with a huge variety of options. Additionally, with body modification and cybernetic enhancements being such a huge part of the game, you can have a V that looks truly inhuman if you so desire. As they say this, the 2nd developer toggles a couple of sliders that make the shape of V’s nose slightly kinda-sorta different, and then calls it a day. We walk out of the customization screen with a generic, white as rice, square-jawed V that fails to show off the breadth of customization we were just promised.

As we walk away, Keanu Reeves’ Johnny Silverhands leans against a wall and takes a drag off a (cyber?) cigarette, before telling us to pick up the pace and disappearing off-frame. It’s confirmed later in the demo that the character that Johnny is a cyber-ghost stuck inside the head of our protagonist. Throughout the demo he pops up and makes snide, one-sided comments on the things that V is doing, only being addressed directly at the very end of the demo. It’ll be interesting to see just how involved with the story his character is in the final release, and whether he’s a main player or just a fun series of cameos.

Cyberpunk2077-IL3.jpg

Eventually, V found their way to Pacifica, a corporation-funded island city intended to serve as a tourist paradise, right up until the very corporations who built it abandoned it as the economy collapsed around them. The government followed suit, and now this lawless, decrepit ghost town is home to refugees and street criminals. Literally all of these refugees in the demo were specifically of Haitian descent, which is… weird. There isn’t anything inherently wrong with Pacifica being a slum city occupied exclusively by Haitians, but it certainly sends an awkward message. The sloppiness of that message is only amplified by further uncomfortable missteps, like the subtitles for Haitian dialogue going out of their way to replace words like “the” and “they” with “de” and “dey”.

Another moment that had me muttering “yikes” under my breath, where our protagonist mocks their Haitian informant, Placide, by mockingly asking “and who are dey?” Maybe V’s just a scummy lead character, but the further along this demo went, the more I was sure that it would end with a tasteless Ugandan Knuckles meme and my eyes rolling directly out of their sockets.

Cyberpunk2077-IL4.jpg

After this weird racial bullshit, V is mind-linked with Placide via a link-cable that everyone in the world is implanted with, and given his mission: sneak into the abandoned museum across town that’s the hideout for a rival gang, the Animals. V hops on a motorcycle, puts on some cyber-music and arrives at the hideout in next to no time. Our protagonist in this demo had skills focused on hacking, and so he does just that. We hack environmental items like robot sparring-machines and weight racks to distract enemies, and infiltrate the network of the facility to unlock some doors in our way that lead to the main atrium.

At this point, the demo pauses and the developer playing it decides to switch to an alternate V, a female version of the character we saw in last year’s E3 demo. We’re instantly transported back to the beginning of this break-in, but with a new set of abilities focused on raw strength. This V rips open the doors blocking the way and drops right into the atrium, ripping and tearing into the Animals occupying the space with brutal melee attacks and plenty of bullets. Shooting looks a bit improved in this demo, but the weight of the shots and the subdued way they land in enemy bodies still leaves a bit to be desired.

Cyberpunk2077-IL6.jpg

Swapping back to our Netrunner hacking-focused V, and transitioning once more back to the beginning of this atrium brawl, we’re shown how this V can use hacking abilities directly on enemies, taking control of their cybernetics to make them draw the pins on their grenades, hold their guns up to their own heads and pull the trigger, or even immobilising them by overloading their circuits. Combined with the use of our wrist-mounted link-cable as a molten slicing wire to mow down enemies, the playstyle of this V seems a little more inventive and downright fun than the raw brawn of our other V.

The demo soon ends with our protagonist encountering the leader of the Voodoo Boys, who tasks V with diving into the cyberspace in order to track down the truth behind the chip in their head. Much like Cyberpunk 2077, we don’t know a whole lot about cyberspace, but it sure is pretty. Pretty isn’t the only thing that matters in a game, though, especially not a game of this scope. CD Project Red has promised a lot with this title, but between the two demos I’ve seen of it so far, it’s shaping up to be a kind of cool open-world shooter with some light RPG elements. Keanu Reeves is certainly breathtaking, but it’s hard to say the same about Cyberpunk 2077.

Sauce: https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2019/0...e3-2019-has-grand-ideas-and-sloppy-execution/

Really great! Different starting locations would be awesome for replayability and early game burnout for the compulsive re-starter :P

“You could call them a tribe that is living in cars and they’re just driving over Badlands. They’re doing various jobs for fixers, and for people in the city, and doing various deals – I don’t want to disclose too much because not to spoil the story.”

Wonder if Nomads has MC-like hierarchy, whether we'll get a SoA vibes in the game? :bounce:

Bet Corpo lifepath will start as a rich kid, his parents murdered in an alley way :D
"JESUS CHRIST JACKIE BOY MORE BLOWBACK FROM THE VOODOO BOYS..." haha
Fallout 2 is probably my all-time favorite RPG and i always disliked how you were restricted to being a tribal. if i could go back and change one thing, that'd probably be the one. so yeah, pretty damn cool for Cyberpunk 2077.
CDPR are hitting more notes than most high profile developers these days for sure and seem to know they can't just make Cyberwitcher.

Quillon

Arcane
The sloppiness of that message is only amplified by further uncomfortable missteps, like the subtitles for Haitian dialogue going out of their way to replace words like “the” and “they” with “de” and “dey”.

Another moment that had me muttering “yikes” under my breath, where our protagonist mocks their Haitian informant, Placide, by mockingly asking “and who are dey?” Maybe V’s just a scummy lead character, but the further along this demo went, the more I was sure that it would end with a tasteless Ugandan Knuckles meme and my eyes rolling directly out of their sockets.

Its OK to make fun of Canadian accent daily, or British, Scottish etc... but if its Haitian you are a racist asshole :P

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Its generally the other way around: PC graphics cards rather directs consoles. Its all ray tracing hype these days. nvidia rtx and an impending amd equivalent is pushing consoles to have all that raytracing nothingness. Cyberpunk 2077 will have raytracing support as well. But I'd wait than to splurge cash on rtx graphic cards. Its all hype and no substance up till now.

Oh I definitely wouldn't buy an RTX 2060 or whatever, that would be silly. Outside of ray-tracing and other modern shit they're almost no better than the Pascal equivalents. If they release something else before Cyberpunk comes out though, something in my price range that offers an actual jump, then maybe. Or if the 2070 or 2080 drop a lot. We shall see.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know if this has been posted or not, but Mike Pondsmith is still not giving a fuck about your SJW shit. Skip to 5:00 to the interesting part. I love how this guy is not a pusharound, unlike many other in the entertainment industry.

norolim

Arcane

I know the image's been posted, but the tweet is important for context. So they're talking about vanity and they represent that concept with an African American and a scantily clad woman. I'm literally shaking inside myself. Those developers at Cyberproject Red are horrible misogynistic, homophobic and racist people. I'm not buying any more of those Watcher game they make.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

smh https://www.vg247.com/2019/06/17/cyberpunk-2077-badlands-nomads/

Cyberpunk 2077 and the Badlands and Nomads beyond Night City

If you venture outside the booming metropolis of Night City in Cyberpunk 2077, you’ll find yourself in the Badlands.

The Badlands are the remnants of the past, buildings buried in the arid dirt. It’s what keeps the Californian Night City boxed in, and you’ll be able to explore it on-foot, by car, and by motorcycle. Expect a more off-road experience here than in the rest of Night City.

“The Badlands are the surrounding district around the Night City,” lead quest designer Pawel Sasko explained during our E3 chat. “Players can leave Night City and just explore that area – an area that is mostly sort of destroyed basically after all the droughts and everything that happened in the 50 years from 2020 to ‘77. And you can explore that, there are specific quests prepared for that, also open world content, so that’s definitely covered. It’s not only the city that you’re visiting.”

As well as supporting a range of quests and exploration opportunities, the Badlands are also the home of the Nomads, a roving gang that lives out of their vehicles and roams the wastes. It’s Mad Max with arm blades.

“You can be one of the nomads as a player and you can start there, being part of a family of the Nomads,” Sasko explained. “You could call them a tribe that is living in cars and they’re just driving over Badlands. They’re doing various jobs for fixers, and for people in the city, and doing various deals – I don’t want to disclose too much because not to spoil the story.”

Cyberpunk 2077 releases April 16, 2020. Cyberpunk 2077 will feature multiple endings, and you’ll be able to see the full extended E3 demo at PAX West. The entire game can be finished without killing anyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom