Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tytus

Arcane
So they decided not to release a completely unfinished product well that's commendable.

If I remember correctly Witcher 3 had a similar situation. It was at first scheduled to come out in like September, but they kept pushing it like two or three times and it eventually came out in May.
Their work environment is pretty chaotic since there is a lot of employee turn over. It's not surprising they couldn't meet the deadline.

This is the first I've heard of this. Any idea why their turnover is bad?

Around 2013 I was at a convention where polish game devs attended. Adrian Chmielarz was there, some other guys I don't remember and a dude from CDPR. They were still working on Witcher 3 at that time.

He basically tried to to dissuade or disillusion people about what work in CDPR looks like. For example he mentioned that compared to other companies CDPR has much higher standard when hiring employees. Meaning that for example in a western company concept artist and 3D model artist would be different positions but at CDPR when you create a concept work you also need to know how to implement in it as a 3D model. This also was true for other positions like level designer also needs to know how to code the level in himself etc.
So as he said, people work two times harder for half (or less) the pay. He also said that working hours are pretty long and you need to be basically immune to stress. Because working for 16 hours and sleeping in the office was not something out of the ordinary. This made people burnout really fast.

He also mentioned a "joke" that was going around at the time. That soon because of the turn over rates all programmers/artists in Poland will be able to say they worked on Witcher 3.

More recently I heard from a girl I know that worked as a concept artist in polish game dev scene, that CDPR became a resume goal. Everybody know how shitty working for them is, so people would get hired and quit as soon as they could add working at CDPR to their resume. Which only fuelled the turn over problem.

Danikas

Arcane
More recently I heard from a girl I know that worked as a concept artist in polish game dev scene, that CDPR became a resume goal. Everybody know how shitty working for them is, so people would get hired and quit as soon as they could add working at CDPR to their resume. Which only fuelled the turn over problem.
:hero:
Maybe they should put some of that witcher dough into salaries.

Trashos

Arcane
Around 2013 I was at a convention where polish game devs attended. Adrian Chmielarz was there, some other guys I don't remember and a dude from CDPR. They were still working on Witcher 3 at that time.

So as he said, people work two times harder for half (or less) the pay. .

They are in Warsow, right? What are the wages at CDPR? The ones I see on Glassdor are huge for Warsow standards. By those numbers, these guys are much wealthier than their American counterparts.

Zer0wing

Cipher
"Told you guys it's not coming out in April. Hopefully they manage to hit the September deadline, but I'd be cautious about it too given the state of the game."
Oh I'm sure they will, by spending the rest of the year cutting features, plotlines, alternative choices and toning down action to meet low end console hardware limitations.

Terenty

Liturgist
I had a suspicion while reading your first two points, but thats where i knew you were a retard for sure
Better being retarded than Kojimba fanboi, thats for sure. Retarded people can live their lives happy, without consuming shitty boring drivel that was produced by "maestro". Unfortunately Kojimafag addicted to it so much, that he/she goes in thread that has nothing to do with "maestro" to call random person retarded for even mentioning Dead Stranding in negative light.

Retards talking out of their ass trigger me too much i agree

passerby

Arcane
Nah bro, that's the broke way to do it.
The woke way to do it is to make a second version with shiner graphics a year later once the install base will be bigger a two years later and sell the same game twice.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If the rumors are true the consoles are now being treated as "platforms" like Steam, and you buy the game once and then play it on the hardware you have. That would make Cyberpunk a cross-gen game by default, and they could basically market it as a launch game for the new machines with higher resolution/framerate.

jf8350143

Liturgist
This is the QA about the delay:

"In terms of multiplayer, one thing we need to make clear is that the AAA release we are working on in parallel with CP 2077 is Cyberpunk multiplayer, so that's the first thing to say."

It took them only 4 games to abandon single player and make a multiplayer only major release. Way to go CDPR, hope you choke on your mountain of cash.

passerby

Arcane
If the rumors are true the consoles are now being treated as "platforms" like Steam, and you buy the game once and then play it on the hardware you have. That would make Cyberpunk a cross-gen game by default, and they could basically market it as a launch game for the new machines with higher resolution/framerate.

Release version working on the new hardware doesn't stop them from selling "HD Final Cut" separately, just like nothing stops companies from doing this on Steam all the time.

With their pro consumer marketing, you are probably right though and they won't do it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It took them only 4 games to abandon single player andmake a multiplayer only major release. Way to go CDPR, hope you choke on your mountain of cash.

Come on, this is a silly post, those "only 4 games" will have collectively taken almost two decades to develop

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...runch-to-some-degree-through-five-month-delay

Cyberpunk 2077 dev will continue crunch "to some degree" through five month delay
Developers told "minutes" before official announce.

Cyberpunk 2077's delay until September means it will get another five months of polish, but also five more months of staff crunching - working overtime - to some degree.

Developer CD Projekt Red addressed the matter in an investor Q&A session last night, held following the delay's announcement.

In it, exec Adam Kiciński explained why the delay was happening, why it had been decided upon now, and when the rest of the studio had been told ("minutes" before).

We also heard this delay would have a knock-on effect for the studio's other big Cyberpunk project in production - a multiplayer thing which will get a separate release, likely now sometime after 2021.

"Why now? Why three months before release?" Kiciński said of the delay. "Well, we have been waiting and there always comes the moment to decision. We are constantly evaluating the game and we decided if we are to delay this is the right moment, and that with the decision to add five months we would be really sure that we can deliver what we had planned.

"Of course, it was a tough decision, but we and our team - which was informed minutes ago - think that this was a good decision and that having an extra five months will enable us to deliver a perfect game."

And what about crunch, Kiciński was asked? Did the delay mean five months five months of extra overtime?

"To some degree, yes - to be honest," Kiciński replied. "We try to limit crunch as much as possible, but it is the final stage. We try to be reasonable in this regard, but yes. Unfortunately."

All of which begs the question - when was the delay decided? Especially as it seems, until yesterday, staff were under the impression they were shipping the game in a matter of weeks.

"There are things that are on schedule and things that are behind schedule," Kiciński said. "Once you have the whole game and you see all dependencies, and you play it - you get the 'feel' of the game and you start to have an idea what has to be tweaked and polished.

"Of course, there are bugs, various bugs, new and old - but playing such a big game you start to think that maybe you need to tweak this or that... so there was not a specific moment. It's an ongoing process, and we knew that this was the last moment for a delay. We weren't able to discuss further so we decided now because that was the last reasonable window to decide about the delay."

As I wrote in yesterday's initial story on the delay, development crunch is something CD Projekt Red has struggled with in the past.

It is also something unfortunately endemic in big-budget game development throughout the industry. And it comes with a very real human cost.

Back at E3 2019, I spoke with Cyberpunk 2077 designer Paweł Sasko about hitting the game's now-delayed release date as part of a wide-ranging interview.

"We're pretty comfortable we can deliver on this date and not kill ourselves," he told me at the time. "It's a complex topic. We just love this project and we want to work on it. And if someone was to tell me to stop, or that I didn't need to do something, I'd say - I want to make this better. Am I supposed to agree to something that's worse? I won't. I fucking won't do it. I'll never do it. And the guys here? They'll say the same. We won't agree to release something that's crap. Ever.

"No one's going to say it's crap. But there's a balance to that and working 100 hour weeks. 100 hour weeks are extreme. It's more about being clever and picking the right battles. There are things you can invest time in which are invisible to player, whereas there are small things you can do that are players will absolutely appreciate. [Crunch] is a huge mistake which this industry needs to better at, but it's a complex topic."

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is the QA about the delay:

"In terms of multiplayer, one thing we need to make clear is that the AAA release we are working on in parallel with CP 2077 is Cyberpunk multiplayer, so that's the first thing to say."

It took them only 4 games to abandon single player and make a multiplayer only major release. Way to go CDPR, hope you choke on your mountain of cash.
i wish i choke on my mountain of cash :(

Gerrard

Arcane
xgR25Sr.png

BXbhEl0.jpg

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's going to be ironic if they're delaying the game so that they can optimize it to reach 20 fps on an Xbox One when these new consoles are right around the corner.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Their stock tanking is all related to quarterly financials, I doubt any analyst is stupid enough to think it will hurt the bottom line to have a more polished game released right before the holiday period with new consoles boosting interest.

Harthwain

Magister
But there's a balance to that and working 100 hour weeks. 100 hour weeks are extreme.
One day has 24 hours. Total. Assuming working 5 days a week in order to get 100 hour weeks you'd need to work 20 hours per day. Each day of the week. This leaves 4 hours per day for everything non-work related. Sleep alone takes 6-8 hours. It doesn't sound extreme. More like insane and illegal.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
One day has 24 hours. Total. Assuming working 5 days a week in order to get 100 hour weeks you'd need to work 20 hours per day. Each day of the week. This leaves 4 hours per day for everything non-work related. Sleep alone takes 6-8 hours. It doesn't sound extreme. More like insane and illegal.

There's all kinds of stories out there of developers basically living at work during crunch time, sleeping in their office and working 16+ hour days.

Greenante

Novice
Patron
Insert Title Here
It's literally going to be Cyberdicks and Vibrators the game and you fags are fairies for getting excited about that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom