Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Trashos

Arcane
But there's a balance to that and working 100 hour weeks. 100 hour weeks are extreme.
One day has 24 hours. Total. Assuming working 5 days a week in order to get 100 hour weeks you'd need to work 20 hours per day. Each day of the week. This leaves 4 hours per day for everything non-work related. Sleep alone takes 6-8 hours. It doesn't sound extreme. More like insane and illegal.

100h weeks certainly implies that they work on weekends too.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Around 2013 I was at a convention
where polish game devs attended.

Adrian Chmielarz was there, some other guys I don't remember and a dude from CDPR. They were still working on Witcher 3 at that time.

He basically tried to to dissuade or disillusion people about what work in CDPR looks like. For example he mentioned that compared to other companies CDPR has much higher standard when hiring employees. Meaning that for example in a western company concept artist and 3D model artist would be different positions but at CDPR when you create a concept work you also need to know how to implement in it as a 3D model. This also was true for other positions like level designer also needs to know how to code the level in himself etc.
So as he said, people work two times harder for half (or less) the pay. He also said that working hours are pretty long and you need to be basically immune to stress. Because working for 16 hours and sleeping in the office was not something out of the ordinary. This made people burnout really fast.

He also mentioned a "joke" that was going around at the time. That soon because of the turn over rates all programmers/artists in Poland will be able to say they worked on Witcher 3.

More recently I heard from a girl I know that worked as a concept artist in polish game dev scene, that CDPR became a resume goal. Everybody know how shitty working for them is, so people would get hired and quit as soon as they could add working at CDPR to their resume. Which only fuelled the turn over problem.

This is great insight on the company culture. I'm sure, as an independent
studio, everyone needs to work twice, even three, times as hard in order to make
a game that will keep them financially secure for years.

Video games aren't worth that. Make it a hobby.
It's more than a hobby to some people.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It's literally going to be Cyberdicks and Vibrators the game and you fags are fairies for getting excited about that

27235.jpg

Harthwain

Magister
This is great insight on the company culture. I'm sure, as an independent studio, everyone needs to work twice, even three, times as hard in order to make a game that will keep them financially secure for years.
Except most of these people will be gone right after the release...:

The conditions in the studio, which aren't suitable for everybody - called in CD Projekt RED's declaration their own "set of values" - were a known secret for a long time. It should be sufficient to bring back the photo of the team working on the first "The Witcher" game. After the release these people were no more [part of the studio]:
ODcwNjY3YCUCFThZdkhtMEFNbAMwEWNmFlV0SHZ8YHJRRzZZbgNgIE0APgM0VGE0D1h4W2wHenVWRWNHaAF2fVZAel1uAGAnB1o-GDZZKi8XWjwPPR0lNARVMw==
...so it's not like they are going to reap the benefits of their hard work for the company.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's more than a hobby to some people.

I should have clarified, it should be meaningful for people and most importantly they should take ownership of their efforts. Never sell your skills to someone else for something you care about. If you spend your time just looking for a job because "video games are cool" you're aiming squarely at manufacturing digital nonsense to tickle the nutsack of the lowest common denominator and eating ramen noodles from under the particle board desk of a cubby hole while the owners whipcrack you and remove you once you're done. And at the end of the day you'll probably end up hating video games anyways with no time to play them.

RepHope

Savant
So they decided not to release a completely unfinished product well that's commendable.

If I remember correctly Witcher 3 had a similar situation. It was at first scheduled to come out in like September, but they kept pushing it like two or three times and it eventually came out in May.
Their work environment is pretty chaotic since there is a lot of employee turn over. It's not surprising they couldn't meet the deadline.

This is the first I've heard of this. Any idea why their turnover is bad?

Around 2013 I was at a convention where polish game devs attended. Adrian Chmielarz was there, some other guys I don't remember and a dude from CDPR. They were still working on Witcher 3 at that time.

He basically tried to to dissuade or disillusion people about what work in CDPR looks like. For example he mentioned that compared to other companies CDPR has much higher standard when hiring employees. Meaning that for example in a western company concept artist and 3D model artist would be different positions but at CDPR when you create a concept work you also need to know how to implement in it as a 3D model. This also was true for other positions like level designer also needs to know how to code the level in himself etc.
So as he said, people work two times harder for half (or less) the pay. He also said that working hours are pretty long and you need to be basically immune to stress. Because working for 16 hours and sleeping in the office was not something out of the ordinary. This made people burnout really fast.

He also mentioned a "joke" that was going around at the time. That soon because of the turn over rates all programmers/artists in Poland will be able to say they worked on Witcher 3.

More recently I heard from a girl I know that worked as a concept artist in polish game dev scene, that CDPR became a resume goal. Everybody know how shitty working for them is, so people would get hired and quit as soon as they could add working at CDPR to their resume. Which only fuelled the turn over problem.
I believe it. Sounds like the head guys are assholes who reap the rewards while the grunts slave away in the trenches. So just like Rockstar, Bungie, Naughty Dog, Bioware, and pretty much every other “big” company. I don’t get how the higher ups can look at this as sustainable.

Danikas

Arcane
I believe it. Sounds like the head guys are assholes who reap the rewards while the grunts slave away in the trenches. So just like Rockstar, Bungie, Naughty Dog, Bioware, and pretty much every other “big” company. I don’t get how the higher ups can look at this as sustainable.
Lol if it wasn't Rockstar and other big fish would be long gone, tell me which buisness doesn't work like this. :deathclaw:

Recent example:
"Boeing's fired CEO got his $62 million payout confirmed the same day 2,800 people in the 737 Max supply chain were laid
off"

https://www.businessinsider.com/boe...-same-time-thousands-layoffs-2020-1/amp/?IR=T

"Three years later, the engineers’ union went on strike over bonus pay and cuts in health coverage. James Dagnon, another Boeing executive, said that engineers had to accept that they were no longer the center of the universe. “We laughed,” Sorscher recalled. “This is an engineering company — these are complex, heavily engineered products. Of course we’re the center of the universe. But he wasn’t kidding. We didn’t get it. Who is the center of the universe? It’s the executives.”

:hero:

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
"I'm your BFF and I'm about to die at the end of tutorial" guy.

I suspect that the latinobro only dies if you go full nuts in that particular quest. It would be strange to reveal that he dies no matter what.

Game designers follow the following code:

if(character die on main quest && cost of reactivity > number of players that actually care)
{
kill.character.no.matter.what();
}
else
{
forget.character.existed.after.death( );
}

DeepOcean

Arcane
Meh, a fall of 8% for someone that gone from 16 Polish BS money to fucking 260 Polish BS money on 4 years? I never give a fuck for a stock value graph that is less than 1 year old. Most people show an 1 week graph to try to attact attention but on reality, 1 week variations vould be easily caused by pretty much anything. I bet there is a huge line of european speculators wanting to board that train now with the Netflix series and Cyberpunk causing enough of a splash to have Keanu Reeves on board. CDPR is moving to be the new Rockstar with all the positives and negatives that imply.

jf8350143

Liturgist
It took them only 4 games to abandon single player andmake a multiplayer only major release. Way to go CDPR, hope you choke on your mountain of cash.

Come on, this is a silly post, those "only 4 games" will have collectively taken almost two decades to develop

20 years in the industry, how many single player developers left? How many stayed that way?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
if you are not a polen nor interested in gta clones why should anyone care about this game guise?

because it will feature cyberpsychosis and NPCs that will speak in tongues you can't understand without implanting the language chip.

yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom