Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zer0wing

Cipher
Cancerous game design. This has nothing to do with Deus Ex people here comparing it to. There is nothing more harmful for immersion than this.
Cyberpunk Enhanced Edition is the only way out of lvling and health sponges.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks, although this is really not worth reading through - "CDPR are making their first RPG - oh look, we need to provide quest solutions for different character builds"!

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks for the summary AwesomeButton
tldr.png

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wouldn't the "first open world immersive sim" be Ultima Underworld, considering it has the main elements of what defines an "open world" game, ie. free roaming and non-linear design in a virtual world? UU was designed as a virtual dungeon after all.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Wouldn't the "first open world immersive sim" be Ultima Underworld, considering it has the main elements of what defines an "open world" game, ie. free roaming and non-linear design in a virtual world? UU was designed as a virtual dungeon after all.
Ultima Underworld being the first "immersive sim" is true and i think everyone agrees on that.

Big Wrangle

Honestly, elements of immersive sims have always creeped into open world stuff and games that one could say are on the more "systematic" thing, so it is a logical step. That being said, the best emergeant gameplay comes from tightly focused design and a certain set of tools. Cyberpunk being a big-ass map and trying to give all approaches runs at the risk of a dilluted expetience.

I guess we're not quite there yet, but elements of that showed in Red Dead Redemption 2 already so who knows. Time will tell, I suppose.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ultima Underworld being the first "immersive sim" is true and i think everyone agrees on that.

Yes, i agree too, but the quote in the second page is about people might call Cyberpunk 2077 the first open world immersive sim and while not all immersive sims are open world (e.g. Deus Ex), Ultima Underworld is an open world game - assuming we are talking about game mechanics (being able to go almost anywhere, pick up quests/objectives in a non-linear fashion, etc) instead of setting (i've seen comments about a game not being open world if you cannot see the sky), technical details (like not having loading screens - which would disqualify almost every supposedly open world game, especially among the popular ones that had to work on a console) or some vague metric like the size of the world (how big is big enough to be open?). This would make calling CP2077 the first open world immersive sim wrong since the first immersive sim in general is also the first open world immersive sim.

Paul_cz

Arcane

Yes, i agree too, but the quote in the second page is about people might call Cyberpunk 2077 the first open world immersive sim and while not all immersive sims are open world (e.g. Deus Ex), Ultima Underworld is an open world game - assuming we are talking about game mechanics (being able to go almost anywhere, pick up quests/objectives in a non-linear fashion, etc) instead of setting (i've seen comments about a game not being open world if you cannot see the sky), technical details (like not having loading screens - which would disqualify almost every supposedly open world game, especially among the popular ones that had to work on a console) or some vague metric like the size of the world (how big is big enough to be open?). This would make calling CP2077 the first open world immersive sim wrong since the first immersive sim in general is also the first open world immersive sim.
I think they just mean open world in the today's understanding/perception of the term - having an open city with unrestricted movement. Or maybe they simply forgot UU, or they didn't play it.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Paul_cz

Arcane
It's a real shame that they aren't making an immersive sim though. A wasted opportunity.
It would be cool, but at the same time, Bloodlines is not an immersive sim either and yet it felt very similar to Deus Ex when I played it and it is 10/10 game for me.
If Cyberpunk can be like that but on full open city scale, I will be happy enough.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
I think they just mean open world in the today's understanding/perception of the term - having an open city with unrestricted movement. Or maybe they simply forgot UU, or they didn't play it.

Probably the former, which is a bit lame since it Ultima Underworld also has unrestricted movement - the only difference is really the setting, but that isn't gameplay. I doubt it is the latter since even if they haven't played UU, they might have played some other game that has open world gameplay, like System Shock, Arx Fatalis or the Prey 2017.

Latelistener

Arcane
Damage numbers isn't the issue here. Technically you can enable them in any game that involves any kind of combat system, but they are usually hidden under the hood.

The problem is that instead of showing you how tough an enemy can possibly be, they're telling you in a form of a level above a head. And this is considering that Cyberpunk 2020 has no levels whatsoever. This eventually results in situations like in Witcher 3, where a renowned monster hunter with years of training cannot kill bandits because they simply have a higher level.

You could think that disabling those HUD elements will solve the problem, but it won't. It will actually result in even more confusion as the visual design does not correlate with stats. It's somewhat similar to the problem of the last Thief: if you disable HUD elements like minimap you will have no idea what the hell is going on. Levels were designed with the minimap in mind and it's very hard to orientate using your own eyes, like in previous games.

The games I mentioned above do not have this problem because they are simply put Diablo clones. They are all about grind. Why CDPR is using the same design principles when creating RPGs (supposedly) is beyond me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkg...big_the_gameworld_in_cp2077_will_be_compared/

169qera0joz11.png

https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/cyberpunk-2077-bug-fixing

Cyberpunk 2077 is planned to be as “refined” as Red Dead 2 to get a “fat slice of cake”
Cyberpunk-2077-gameplay-580x334.jpg

CD Projekt Red says that the critical and commercial success of Red Dead Redemption 2 has underscored the importance of quality and polish, and that it will apply those lessons as it continues development on Cyberpunk 2077.

In a conference call with investors on Friday, CDPR CEO Adam Kiciński was asked what his studio has learned from the release of Rockstar’s latest open-world epic.

“Without a doubt, quality is of paramount importance,” Kiciński says. “We strive to publish games which are as refined as Red Dead Redemption 2, and recent Rockstar releases in general. That game is excellent, by the way, we are rooting for it. Rave reviews, excellent sales. What does that teach us? Well, it teaches us that we need to publish extraordinary games, and that’s exactly what we are planning.”

Kiciński touches on the issue of saturation, and how developers can command your attention as ever more, and ever larger, games are brought to market. “Gamers, it seems, tend to focus more and more on hit releases,” he says. “While the gaming community is growing, time cannot be stretched. There is – well, maybe not a surfeit, but a fair deal of good games out there, and playing them consumes a lot of time. So it pays to be among the best – that’s how you get a nice fat slice of cake, businesswise.”

You can check out the call transcript here (via VG247). There are one or two other interesting points to note. Kiciński adds that development on Cyberpunk 2077 is going “fast and according to plan”, and CDPR is “setting aside time” to polish and fix bugs so as to ensure “something of great quality” is delivered at launch. This isn’t a surprise, since a bug fixing phase of a certain length is standard in game development, but in the case of The Witcher III, it could probably have stood to be a little longer. Hopefully these comments from Kiciński indicate that CDPR is doubling down on polish, and if Red Dead is a positive example for why this is a good idea, the bug-ridden Fallout 76 is a pretty good negative one.

And finally, while it’s technically true that the campaign is playable from start to finish, as was reported at Gamescom, not all of it is as polished or complete as it appears in the gameplay demo that was released to the public shortly after the show.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

If this is truly based on pen and paper then I'm still interested in it. Just hope it's truly a gameplay RPG and not just a beautiful cutscene movie-game/cutscene simulator.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Obsessed with Rockstar much?

Devs always communicate in the latest buzzwords so mouthbreathers aka journos understand them. How many years ago "Skyrim this, Skyrim that" was all the rage? But yeah, CDPR does want to give the Rockstart treatment to RPGs. Let's hope it doesn't meant online mode with overpriced microtransactions.

Yosharian

Arcane
The cops patrolling the mall are going to be nearly invincible special forces operators with bullet resistant nanomachine skin coating while the ones you encounter on missions will die in 1 hit to 9mm despite wearing heavy armor.
Yeah, that's exactly the problem with CDPR design

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom