Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The more they repeat "it's an RPG" in every interview, the more fishy it sounds.
I'm surprised at this point that anyone on RPG Codex still believes that it matters, at all, either way, when a developer says this. Jokes aside, the term has become truly meaningless in the industry.

stop.png
thinking this signifies anything.
To them it means "We have stats and XP", and recently "We have interactive dialogue where you can choose what your character says". Having story or gameplay reactivity to what he says is still too much of a stretch for them.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
To them it means "We have stats and XP", and recently "We have interactive dialogue where you can choose what your character says". Having story or gameplay reactivity to what he says is still too much of a stretch for them.

The vast majority of people don't care for RPG mechanics, they just want a movie-quality story and presentation, the ability to feel like they are the ones doing the choices (even if the do not, eg Mass Effect), and passable gameplay that is enjoyable enough and easy enough to induce a certain relaxed stated in the brain, so you can receive the story better and more seemless.

And that's fine btw. If that's what they like, that's what they like. Video games are entertainment, entertainment is subjective, some people are entertained by killing puppies. Like Joffrey.

The sad thing is when those people cross the line of what an RPG is into action-adventure or visual novel territory, yet they still have the audacity to claim their game is an RPG, because the RPG tag carries more weight.

On the other hand, you have the hypocrite spergs who proclaim any game that has action controls to not be an RPG, like Skyrim for example. Spergs who don't understand that it is a computer game and for a computer game it makes more sense to have action controls when it is a first person 3D open world. Games like Morrowind are an abomination, hitting 500 times on screen before doing minor damage on a fucking cliffracer is not good game design just because it adheres to your sperg sensibilities.

It is more hypocritical when you think that TRUE RPGs can ONLY be played on PnP. That's it. CRPGs were always a compromise from the beginning, a compromise for nerds with no imagination and no friends.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The vast majority of people don't care for RPG mechanics, they just want a movie-quality story and presentation, the ability to feel like they are the ones doing the choices (even if the do not, eg Mass Effect), and passable gameplay that is enjoyable enough and easy enough to induce a certain relaxed stated in the brain, so you can receive the story better and more seemless.
This is true, but we should mention that the player stats and XP are latched onto action games exactly in order to reinforce an already weak gameplay. Stats and XP don't serve to progress your character or require the player to consider different paths for progression, but are instead used as simple gamification techniques intended to motivate the player to stay with the game a bit longer after he has been bored by the core gameplay. It's the same with achievements.

It is more hypocritical when you think that TRUE RPGs can ONLY be played on PnP. That's it. CRPGs were always a compromise from the beginning, a compromise for nerds with no imagination and no friends.
Partially agree. I would like to play some PnP with distinguished company, but simply don't have the time or the distinguished company for it.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
This is true, but we should mention that the player stats and XP are latched onto action games exactly in order to reinforce an already weak gameplay. Stats and XP don't serve to progress your character or require the player to consider different paths for progression, but are instead used as simple gamification techniques intended to motivate the player to stay with the game a bit longer after he has been bored by the core gemplay. It's the same with achievements.

Partially agree. I would like to play some PnP with distinguished company, but simply don't have the time or the distinguished company for it.

1) Yes, stats and XP in most AAA games serve as an addiction/reward mechanism. This is not necessarily a bad thing when done right, for example in games like Diablo III, where watching numbers and colours go up feels you with joy as you keep mindlessly left clicking for your entertainment. It is only bad when it is used for stuff like MMOs and other online skinner boxes...

2) Not having the time or company is the reason most of us play CRPGs instead of tabletop. But this does not make CRPGs any less of a compromise. We always need to remember that a true, genuine, 100% RPG experience, will never be delivered in computer game form, EVER. So my point was that it is hypocritical of us when we assault action-rpgs because of their attempts to be better VIDEO GAME experiences, instead of tabletop simulators... I have more fun playing video games instead of tabletop simulators, that is my point.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

AwesomeButton

Patron
We always need to remember that a true, genuine, 100% RPG experience, will never be delivered in computer game form, EVER
Of course, because we can't simulate real people yet. In my experience you can't simulate even the simple satisfaction of rolling a dice and moving a figurine on the board by clicking and moving objects on the screen. It's a different feeling when you have the figurine in your hand.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
... Is usually made by the same kind of person who loudly congratulates themselves when they think they've won an argument.

Right on schedule :lol: :lol: :lol:

But i did win the argument convincigly... Just do the math, players playing proper crpgs/ total number of players... Only a tiny minority cares about proper crpgs, the vast majority of gamers don't. The vast majority of gamers play storyfag games, openworld theme parks etc. That is when they play single player video games, because most of them just play mobile phone games and mmos.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But i did win the argument convincigly...
For that to be true, you would have had to convince somebody.

Most people play AAA games with AAA name recognition and AAA marketing budgets, yeah big news flash there. That doesn't prove anything about what the "vast majority" "really wants".

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
For that to be true, you would have had to convince somebody.

Most people play AAA games with AAA name recognition and AAA marketing budgets, yeah big news flash there. That doesn't prove anything about what the "vast majority" "really wants".

:shredder:

"Most people play AAA games"

"That does not prove what the vast majority wants"

Ok i am done. Hitting on mentally disabled people is wrong.

Paul_cz

Arcane
No new footage at The Game Awards:

Of course they don't want to show gameplay directly to the public.. need to show it off behind closed doors so that the PR wing of gamez journalistz can convince people it is good.

...did you miss the 48 minute gameplay they released publicly or something? Maybe it's time to crawl out from under that rock.

It is because they already shown that that they will ignore Game Awards.

Paul_cz

Arcane
...did you miss the 48 minute gameplay they released publicly or something?
Yeah but that was chick protagonist demo, why not show up with the male demo gameplay?

It would be the same thing just with different voice actor..not really necessary.
I mean getting 48 minutes of gameplay from AAA noncrowdfunded game 2+ years from release is pretty unheard of anyway. Nobody expected them to actually release it this early (particularly when the first E3 40 minute demo of Witcher 3 was never released publicly).

Zer0wing

Cipher
It would be the same thing just with different voice actor
Not entierly true, journos reported on some additional details like the new weapon demonstrated, the retarded MGS2-style katana with protective EMP field. Besides, that chick is intolerable.

msxyz

Augur
That dude is right though. Even Gothic 1 from 2001 allowed me to sit down. In fact as much as I like TW3, I disliked removal of some of the immersion enhancers, like seeing Geralt actually drink a potion or being able to sit in a tavern.
Why hitting the 'open game menu' button/key when you can ride all the way to a tavern to pause the game? ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom