Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Celtic Tales: Balor of the Evil Eye

Callaxes

Arbiter
I just stumbled on to this:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/celtic-ta ... e-evil-eye

989539629-00.gif

It looks like KoDP set in Ireland and with more stats. I'll probably going to try it soon, but I want to hear opinions about the game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Shit, no answers? Celtic is awesome. It's much more character driven than other KOEI games and has a very interesting premisis. I loved it back in the day. Have fun trying it, big chance you'll like it!

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Have been playing this game for a couple of days now. It's sort of like a mashup of King of Dragon Pass and Master of Magic. Really enjoy the Celtic backdrop, the Turn-Based combat, the different hero abilities and spells. It was also really easy to get to run on Dosbox.

However there are so many missed opportunities here. Diplomacy seems to be mostly for appearance, trading is rather pointless, conversations with visiting heroes are completely pointless etc. Although the game has many very interesting gameplay mechanisms, many of them lack depth. Only 1 type of crop to grow, only 1 type of cattle, only 2 building types to upgrade, only 3 hero classes... Also very few events to create some variation to the monotony of managing your villages. The game desperately needs interesting events a la KoDP. With these areas improved, the game would definitely be one of my favorites of all time.

Blake00

Learned
Have been playing this game for a couple of days now. It's sort of like a mashup of King of Dragon Pass and Master of Magic. Really enjoy the Celtic backdrop, the Turn-Based combat, the different hero abilities and spells. It was also really easy to get to run on Dosbox.

Well if you can do an 11 year necro, I can do a 2 year one haha.

Celtic Tales is such an underrated classic! I remember a school friend lending me a copy of it in the 90s and I loved it.. replay it every few years in the decades since! Love all the art and the different seasons, after the cold miserable winter it always feels nice when you enter the fertile green spring period. The music can sometimes get a big repetitive however I often find myself humming the tunes even after not playing the games for years lol.

Abandonware is pretty much the only way to get this game sadly as legit copies are hard to find. Although a few years ago I finally managed to score good condition boxset on ebay and also a nice strategy guide book for it too.

15131-celtic-tales-balor-of-the-evil-eye-dos-screenshot-darn-tree.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom