Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing the name of the game, vote inside!

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by Vault Dweller, Sep 4, 2018.

?

Which name do you prefer?

1. Starfarer

2. The Journey to Proxima Centauri

3. The Pilgrims of Earth

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    We picked the name (The New World) a few months before the first reports about Amazon's MMO hit the net, meaning we didn't know about Amazon's New World back then. Yes, we should have double-checked again before launching the site, but we didn't. Back then it wasn't clear if the MMO is still in development as there were rumors of cancellations, so we decided to wait and see what transpires. Well, as of last week it's clear that Amazon's New World is alive and kicking, which means we have to change the name.

I really liked The New World as it fits the game perfectly and while Amazon hasn't contacted us about the name, their pre- and post-release media campaign would drown us. Fortunately, we haven't done any real marketing yet, so changing the name is relatively easy at this point. All we need is a fitting name, which is where you come in.

We went through a hundred or so names, ranging from absolutely awful to really bad, and settled on these 3 names representing our last, best hope:

1. Starfarer - it's the name of the ship in the game, so there's some relevance. The obvious downside is that it's fairly generic. It works as the ship's name considering the nature of the ship but I'm not sure it makes a good name for anything else. I'd prefer Starfarers describing the people, but it's trademarked up to its eyeballs so...

2. The Journey/Voyage to Proxima Centauri or something similar - the only advantage is that the plot summary is in the title. You don't have to wonder what the game's about.

3. The Pilgrims of Earth - similar meaning as the New World (i.e. the pilgrims of Mayflower), focus on the people not the ship or the journey, nice 50s sci-fi feel, built-in sequel (The Conquerors of Proxima Centauri).

I prefer #3 but I was wrong plenty of times before, so I'd like to know what you think first, before we change the logo, the site, and Steam's page.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Big Wrangle Scholar

Big Wrangle
    Parrots:
    The Pilgrims of Earth is the most interesting to me, but it's gonna be another PoE game acronym.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. warpig Arcane

warpig
    Parrots:
    1 and 2 sound generic and booooooring imo

^ Top  
  4. kain30 Learned

kain30
    Parrots:
    you should call it Kingcomrade! :P

^ Top  
  5. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Parrots:
    Starfarer: The Journey to Proxima Centauri :happytrollboy:

Maybe it's just me but Pilgrims of Earth makes me think of a Settlers-esque game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I don't like that name personally, but what happened to "The Sunless World"?

(Starfarer all the way here, it's simple and effective)

^ Top  
  7. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    Should just title it Pilgrim or Pilgrims, since that is how everyone will end up referring to it anyway if the Pilgrims of Earth title is chosen.

Sounds like a sequel to Sunless Sea.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Rendezvous with Proxima.

With a classical scifi novel logo/presentation.

[​IMG]

Make it so Vault Dweller

• Brofist x 8
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    The Sunless Skies release turned Sunless into Failbetter Games' brand.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    Out of the three Starfarer is best, short, catchy and mysterious. #3 is the worst option IMO, not only because of the abbreviation but also because they're not really "pilgrims" at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    A title that evokes themes and emotions that are appealing - in this case, escapism, futurism, a journey into the frontier - is more important than one that more accurately describes your game's subject matter semantically. The Age of Decadence was such a title, Dungeon Rats was not.

Starfarer is a great title in that respect IMO, if you're not going to use it then somebody else damn well should.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    Parrots:
    Starsector used to.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    "A pilgrim (from the Latin peregrinus) is a traveler (literally one who has come from afar) who is on a journey to a holy place. Typically, this is a physical journey (often on foot) to some place of special significance to the adherent of a particular religious belief system."

Starsector used it, then dropped for some reason.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Binky Learned

Binky
    Parrots:
    Starfarer. Short and to the point. Like Mayflower only with a cool name in this case. You'll be on the ship, exploring it. It'll be your world.

Edit: Watched the trailer again. Shows parts of the ship and implies, "This'll be your playground. Interested?" (FUCKIN' SOLD)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    The thing is, it's hard to call them "pilgrims" when many (most?) of them aren't believers. Technically it's true but that's like calling someone who would get into a bus riding to Jasna Góra by mistake. Not that it's a great argument against that title, I just prefer the other two. But seeing the number of votes for PoE it seems we will end up with another PoE review.
    :negative:

^ Top  
  16. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    There's a certain irony there, which is a plus. They were meant to be the new pilgrims and in a twisted way there are.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Parrots:
    Vault Dweller I picked The Pilgrims of Earth before reading your post, but your point about Starfarer sounding generic (and thus easy to lose mindspace to among the other star-y releases) and Journey to XYZ also sounding somewhat generic.

Though personally, I think Pilgrims of Earth is better without the 'The'.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    http://fractalsoftworks.com/2013/01/04/starsector-0-54-1a-release/

Starsector was changed from Starfarer in 2013 thanks to MMO game developed since 2009. Now its site is down and I read it was cancelled so I would advice to register the name before someone else will do it as its short and catchy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20101013111509/http://starfarer.com:80/

I can't find any evidence that it was ever anything more than this stupid webpage. He changed his game's title because of vaporware.

How much would it cost to trademark all your stuff?

^ Top  
  20. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Which does give them a certain claim to the name.

Google says $450 in Canada, 950+275/class in the US, so $1,500 or so to cover North America. I'd rather spend $1,500 on extra assets. Keep in mind that a trademarked name can be challenged as easily as a non-trademarked one; trademarking simply increases your chance of winning that fight in court.

https://business.financialpost.com/entrepreneur/why-you-should-trademark-your-business-name

• Informative Informative x 5
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    That website is gone and forgotten now so if you're going to turn down Starfarer don't do it for that reason.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    All those titles are pretty bad tbh.

Starfarer sounds like a space sim.
    The Journey to blablablablabla is tl;dr
    The Pilgrims of Earth not only sounds like a strategy game, it also has a completely unnecessary "the" which you only want to have there so that it doesn't abbreviate to PoE.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Crispy LG4lyfe Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Parrots:
    Call it Exodus.

That's the name of the game and of the ship.

Last video game named that afaik was a Nintendo game in 1991.

You're welcome.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Your naming sense sucks, all three options are poor. And so was "The New World".

Your game is not about bright-eyed space explorers, or brave colonists exploring the unknown.

It is about a generation born in a giant steel casket, drifting towards their destruction.

I'd pick something that describes that.

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    • Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  25. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    Vince D. Weller's Alpha Proxima Centaury

• Funny Funny x 4
    • nice nice x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)