Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Changing the name of the game, vote inside! [POLL CLOSED, GAME RENAMED]

Which name do you prefer?

• Starfarer

• The Journey to Proxima Centauri

• The Pilgrims of Earth

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bohr

Arcane
Embrace the Stars
The Coffin of the Void
Fast Boat to Proxima Centauri
Colonists of the Dark

Emily

Arcane
"The Journey to Proxima Centauri"
Imo is the best one, it sounds so mysterious and diabolical.

It also invokes thoughts about Civilization Alpha Centauri, which is a good thing as games art direction is similar.

Big Wrangle

Maybe just steal a certain name that was said inside Orphans of the Sky itself, Far Centaurus. :smug:

TheSoul

Scholar
I'm late to this but I'd like to give my (terrible) title ideas.

Mankind Adrift

Our Universe: The Colony

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Lots of dumb ideas. As expected from codex.

One cant really come up with something good for christians in space game anyway... and i think whole theme is stupid and poorly chosen. Not to mention how overused is the colony ship in actual Science fiction. But, all considered i will atleast be interested in gameplay and mechanics, So if it must be, then Star Ark or Ark to the Stars would be good enough. Post something role playing game subtitle optional.

- edit- The earth does not have a fucking east off it. There is no east in space. And Space is not a fucking void either.
fyi.

Black Angel

Arcane
- edit- The earth does not have a fucking east off it. There is no east in space. And Space is not a fucking void either.
fyi.
One can assume it's how one refers to specific region in the galaxy relative to one specific point, like how Warhammer 40k did it with this http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Eastern_Fringe
The Eastern Fringe is a frontier region of the galaxy adjacent to but not officially part of the Ultima Segmentum, on the very "eastern" galactic edge of the Imperium of Man. The Tau Empire originated in this area.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
fyi.
One can assume it's how one refers to specific region in the galaxy relative to one specific point, like how Warhammer 40k did it with this http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Eastern_Fringe
The Eastern Fringe is a frontier region of the galaxy adjacent to but not officially part of the Ultima Segmentum, on the very "eastern" galactic edge of the Imperium of Man. The Tau Empire originated in this area.
Thats only relevant in a specific setting that has such terms already established as specific places.

Otherwise its nonsense. Although as a reference to religious memes it could work. I just think its pointless to throw it into a game that has no such prior distinctions. And i doubt many people will connect it.
Additionally, as i explained, it only makes me think more about the main theme which i consider a waste of opportunity.

Black Angel

Arcane
Otherwise its nonsense. Although as a reference to religious memes it could work. I just think its pointless to throw it into a game that has no such prior distinctions. And i doubt many people will connect it.
Additionally, as i explained, it only makes me think more about the main theme which i consider a waste of opportunity.
I guess we just have to wait for Vault Dweller to explain, then. I missed some tidbits about the lore, but I'd assume the reason why they readily referred to the destination they're going as ''East' of Earth' is because they've already established the other regions of space as 'North', 'South', and 'West' too.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess we just have to wait for Vault Dweller to explain, then. I missed some tidbits about the lore, but I'd assume the reason why they readily referred to the destination they're going as ''East' of Earth' is because they've already established the other regions of space as 'North', 'South', and 'West' too.

That title was just an East of Eden reference.

Edit: which is, in turn, a biblical reference, in case anyone’s feeling pedantic.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I skipped over a few posts about this and i think ive seen that title was decided against already. No need for any further explanations.
Its more of my reaction against such extreme inaccuracies and distortions when talking about space. (it can have a place in space-fantasy settings but not anything trying to look a bit more realistic and plausible)
Plus it would make it sound as if the Earth is Eden and that doesnt agree with the background story as ive seen it so far.

I do know the christian or catholic origin of the project wont be directly the matter of the game, but the obvious consequences of it as the society on the ship deteriorates. I still consider it, personally, a cliche which feeds the gameplay of faction this, faction that, nobody is good, everyone is shit yadda, yadda, yadda, power strugles, you MUST MAKE YOUR WAY blah, blah, blah. Worked in AOD, but here it just sounds mindnumbing to me. Which isnt any kind of consideration for the company.
Wrapped into what is practically an overdone cliche in Science Fiction in general. And the main narrative seems to be hinging on the characters not knowing its a colony ship anymore - while the player does, which removes any surprise or suspense about it.
Maybe that changed more or less. Its all still a cliche.

Even such an overdone theme which doesnt bring anything really knew to the formula can be done in interesting ways if the writing is good and characters are strong, but as an overall theme it does nothing for me.

Anyway, Star Ark (or Ark to the Stars) is a clear and ok title, pointing out something is traveling to the stars or a specific star - not space, and that it has religious connection or background. While the ark itself was full of all kinds of living beings, not specifically religious ones.

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
All the names are basically:
"Let's put the big mystery of the game in the title."

I think the right name would be what the characters of that land themselves would call the land they inhabit.
The name should show the passage of time where terms are mythologized and mutated through multiple generations of local lexicons.

Star Ark isn't fancy enough for a project name that NASA would come up with and also isn't part of the vocabulary of a medieval peasant.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Apparently there is no mystery about the ship. Therefore.

And it isnt done by NASA, apparently. Nor medieval peasants. Nor does NASA five fancy names to their projects.
A fancy title wasnt required. Feel free to come up with one instead of complaining it isnt fancy enough.

Bohr

Arcane
A slightly different suggestion - Passenger's Dilemma.

(It's obviously a play on Prisoner's Dilemma , where "two completely rational individuals might not cooperate, even if it appears that it is in their best interests to do so"/"two individuals acting in their own self-interests do not result in the optimal outcome", given what's going on on the ship and the breakdown in cooperation between different factions.)

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A slightly different suggestion - Passenger's Dilemma.

(It's obviously a play on Prisoner's Dilemma , where "two completely rational individuals might not cooperate, even if it appears that it is in their best interests to do so"/"two individuals acting in their own self-interests do not result in the optimal outcome", given what's going on on the ship and the breakdown in cooperation between different factions.)

Seconded with extreme prejudice. Passenger’s Dilemma seems perfect thematically. This is it.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Says nothing about the actual setting, or its main themes. It may be as well about passengers in a train in some Agatha Christie murder novel. Or something far more dull and dumb.

Additionally i think its good that the original working title was removed since the game is not happening on or has any direct connection to an actual new world.

edit,

I highly doubt my suggestion will be taken, but the name should either thematically fit with main themes of the game and its setting or be something simple that will be clarified and strengthened by the game. Such as Alien, Platoon or Predator were.

Also, Starfarer? Really?

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Pilgrimage: A Colony Ship Role-playing game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom