Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chaos on Deponia

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, has anyone else played through this yet? I picked it up from GoG, and I have to say it's actually a pretty good game. I didn't really care for The Whispered World, and the first Deponia was hit-or-miss for me, but this one was fun almost the whole way through.

Pros
- Nice art, if a bit cluttered.
- A much more interesting world and set of characters than the previous game.
- Some genuinely clever puzzles, particularly some of the dialogue-based ones.
- The voice work is pretty good.
- The ending is more satisfying than the previous game's. A little bit more.
- Actually managed to be funny sometimes, rather than just cringe-inducing.

Cons
- Is often cring-inducingly unfunny.
- A few instances of really bad translation.
- One or two completely bizarre/illogical puzzles, but thankfully those are fairly rare.
- A bit on the easy side. Took me a full day to beat w/out any use of a walkthrough.

Overall, it's the first adventure game out of Germany where the quality actually measures up to the high praise it received there. I'd definitely recommend it.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought this during the GoG pre order promotion along with Deponia - is it worth finishing the first game or should I just skip right to the good part? Mind you, I actually liked Whispered World, including Sadwick's voice.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Well, it'll make the sequel make a lot more sense. I'd play the first one first, it's not a bad game in its own right, it just becomes a bit boring/buggy towards the end.

Cool name

Arcane
As Aeschylus said the first game is not a bad one. I did found the characters endearing and the art is beautiful. The last couple of scenes were well done and added a bit of depth and gravitas to Rufus. But the game does get a bit too easy once you leave the initial city.

The only really bad thing I do remember is that in the last chapter the right mouse button gets a new function you are not informed about. You can spend hours trying to 'use X on Rufus' only to discover the game decided you had to 'look' at the item for the action to trigger.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Yeah, play the first part, the worst thing about it it's the terrible cliffhanger which shouldn't be a problem now that the sequel it's released. I've just played 5 minutes of this second part but the beginning reminded me of the one for Monkey Island 2.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
The knocking puzzle...

... was pretty original, It was one of those moments of "What if...?" that I didn't really expect would work

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
This puzzle was a pure "think outside of the box" moment :)

I haven't finished it yet but it is a really good game (I just managed to solve the three Goal's personalities)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
LVm2O.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
Maybe I'm not monocle but it's one of the few games which made me laugh outloud (sometimes). From beginning sequence with paper planet and Rufus screwing around kitchen to about the middle end. Goal personalities, dialogue and puzzles with them were adorable. Puzzles also get in a way of story less now, although the first act was a bit overwhelming compared to everything else. I never found anything which made me cringe. It's goofy and cartoony just like these sorts of games are supposed to be. Enjoyed every bit of it.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I've just finished the first game.

Fucking amazing, I want to get Chaos on Deponia already.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
Bought Chaos on Deponia on the recent sale.

Completed it yesterday in one walkthrough. Even more amazing.Why the last part is scheduled on autumn? And not, like, today.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I finished Deponia and Chaos on Deponia recently. I think they are easily among the best of today's adventure games, up there with the Wadjet Eye stuff. Charming, humorous, "immersive". Too much animal cruelty though. :( And the protagonist is just terrible (and his personality is also terribly static and repetitive). I wished he would just shut up already most of the time. Where have my likeable protagonists gone? :( Some of his lines/behavior patterns were funny enough though.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
I hated the cat abuse in post office in Deponia.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The only problem with the deponia games are that they are way to short. I finished both of them in 15 hours which is okay if you get them on a sale, but not for the full price.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I thought black humor, however boneheaded it was, and cruelty worked as a neat shoking therapy for a player to stay on his toes. Although some would probably just call Rufus on being downright mean.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought black humor, however boneheaded it was, and cruelty worked as a neat shoking therapy for a player to stay on his toes. Although some would probably just call Rufus on being downright mean.
Rufus is the biggest problem of the game, he's an absolutely insufferable asshole and not in a funny way. If this was a movie, he would be played by Rob Schneider.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
He's fine and not comparable with schneider.

kaizoku

Arcane
I'm missing this one from Daedelic Entertainment, so after reading the thread I'm convinced to take advantage of the 50% off promo.

I was just wondering if this comment from the topmost review isn't a bit exaggerated?
Deponia 2: Chaos on Deponia is in a word amazing. The best point & click adventure game I've played, beating Monkey Island and Broken Sword games, seriously.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
I'm missing this one from Daedelic Entertainment, so after reading the thread I'm convinced to take advantage of the 50% off promo.

I was just wondering if this comment from the topmost review isn't a bit exaggerated?
Deponia 2: Chaos on Deponia is in a word amazing. The best point & click adventure game I've played, beating Monkey Island and Broken Sword games, seriously.
Very exaggerated. But it is nonetheless a solid game, and definitely worth it at 50% off.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
That's a huge exaggeration indeed. It's a great adventure game, in some aspects it manages to resemble some of the classics (I was reminded all the time of Monkey Island 2) but it's really hard to be on level with the Lucasarts golden era, still, some of the most fun I've had with an adventure game in quite some time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom