Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cheesing in games

Unwanted

LAO

Unwanted
What do you guys feel about cheesing in games and what games you had used cheese tatics to win,i used to care about it cheesing in the past nowdays i don't give a fuck about it anymore.

I have cheese multiples times in baldurs gate games,i used to defeat very hard enemies with cloudkill spam out of their line of sight range,i replayed BG2 multiples times and i couldn't never defeat the Master of Thralls without cloudkill spam cheese strategy.

Fallout 2 extremely hard game in my opinion i used to steal eveything and sell to make quickly money,if i get caught stealing someone i reload save game,stilll hard nevertheless.Also i think you can go straight to navarro base right after the beginning of the game savescumming and reloading every deadly random encounter and steal the enclave power armor once you reached the navarro base.

Might and magic 6 most cheeseable game of all time ? you can cheese with everything ! my favorites is use rock blast in walls in dungeons to kill enemies stuck in corners and going up and down to dodge titans and dragons procjetiles attacks in turn-based mode with the flying spell.

Heroes of might and magic 2 if you move away you defensive forces to a certain distance from your town the AI will send their armies in attempt to conquer your town leaving their towns vulnerable.

Fallout New Vegas if you are HIDDEN in sneak mode and kill someone from a certain faction in a sneak critical strike you don't get any faction reputation penalty .I used to kill all the legionaries in Nipton without losing reputation from the Caesar Legion.Just remember to that cheese work you need to remain in HIDDEN status ! if those crucified slaves or birds see u then you will lose reputation,just kill the birds and anything else before the cheese.

Ovg

Cipher
It's fake and gay. Rpg kinda implies pretending to be, or playing the role of a hero. So if you get into the whole mindset of playing pretend, you wouldn't metagame.

Also it makes games too easy and unsatisfying. It's when you taste victory but it turns into ashes in your mouth and you are left feeling unsatisified and having wasted a few hours on a game you didn't even enjoy.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have cheese multiples times in baldurs gate games,i used to defeat very hard enemies with cloudkill spam out of their line of sight range,i replayed BG2 multiples times and i couldn't never defeat the Master of Thralls without cloudkill spam cheese strategy.

I've used numerous cheese tactics in numerous games through the years, and I've forgotten most of them by now, but one particular cheese tactic that I remember using was in Baldur's Gate 1, where I had Korax the Ghoul kill all the Basilisks in that remote map as he was immune to petrification. This required precision maneuvering with one of my party members (for the fog of war) and Korax to be at the edge of it so that the Basilisks would target him. This took forever as Korax has a random chance of going hostile.

IIRC the Greater Basilisk as the only monster there that actually tried using other attacks than the petrifiying gaze, so I had to kill that the ol' fashioned way... big-ass sword and a Potion of Mirror Eyes.

Bocian

Arcane
You call it cheesing, I call it legitimate tactics. It's not entering cheat codes or using debug mode, it requires knowing the game's mechanics and being capable of using them to succeed.

Unwanted

LAO

Unwanted
i remember that in arcanum you can sell your items in a shop then pickpocket the shopkeeper’s key then broke into his chest of items with his key and steal back the items you sold to him and you can sell those items to him and steal it back again.

Tigranes

Arcane
If you want to cheese, then cheese. Going out of the way to forbid it is a bit of a pointless task, and in general there's nothing wrong with cheesing or powergaming or whatever.

The only dumb thing is if you cheese like a motherfucker until you're not even enjoying the game but just sitting there reloading chests or counting the pixels of that fog of war pulling enemies for hours and hours and then brag/complain about your experience. That's not relevant to the quality of the game or anything other than your own mental problems.

I generally cheese a lot less than in the past, but I think that's related to how CRPGs have become far easier over time. For most RPGs you have to find new ways to give yourself a challenge, so it kind of sucks the point out of cheesing.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Cheesing to me is abusing a game's poorly thought of mechanics. So I don't like doing it. It ruins the fun for me.

But when you find an obscure loophole in a game, I think that's somewhat fun. As long as it doesn't break the game.

if you found the way to cheese then cheese all day every day. Fuck everyone and their pretentious horseshit

but if you are deliberately looking up way to cheese the game then thats just being a pussy.

Beastro

Arcane
Not sure if you could call it cheesing, but I've always liked to find the limits of game mechnics and find ways to do content way over my characters heads. In fact, I'd rather call it simply the old way games molded players to explore them in every way to fnd an advantage rather than whine about a game being too hard or have a game point shit out to you.

mondblut

Arcane
Cheesing is the actual fun part about videogames.

Ofc, that applies to shortcuts and exploits you have found on your own. Just parroting something you saw on youtube makes you a sheeple.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I'd rather reload than cheese. Not sure if savescumming doesn't qualify as cheesing though.

:philosoraptor:

there are two factions, those who think that everything the game allows for should be used by the player if so inclined, and those who treat vidya like an overambitious tabletop game with ambiguously worded rules and no game master - meaning, you want to stay within what you assume was the devs' intention. I'm in the latter camp. If I can get together a party that synergizes so well I can just autoattack a trashmob and wipe it, I feel like I've hit that sweet spot. Without cheese.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I like the M&B warband bandit hideout that spawns larger and larger groups. If there's a ransom broker in nearby city I usually just farm it over and over for easy cash.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Let everyone play as he/she wants. For me for example, I could only finish Baldur's Gate for the first time with using a lot of cheese tactics: luring away enemies one by one under the fog of war.

Daniel Pacheco

Educated
You call it cheesing, I call it legitimate tactics. It's not entering cheat codes or using debug mode, it requires knowing the game's mechanics and being capable of using them to succeed.

hahaha

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom