Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

Kitchen Utensil

meh

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Too bad the players don't find the "killing move" (Caruana twice and Carlsen once) in this championship. It would have made the match much more interesting.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Grischuk: ".. then Magnus started elbowing my balls" :lol: [about a basketball match, a few minutes ago in the livestream]

Burning Bridges

I dont understand everything but I think they really try. Some of the last matches were actually rather sharp, they just couldn't convert. Yesterday for example there was short excitement near the end of the game when it looked like Carlsen was in serious trouble until one line was found that saved his arse.

My impression is that at this moment strengthwise they are practically even, although Carlsen is out of form and could theoretically play better. Playing this in the a break is completely fitting.

One should also not forget that Carlsen is a historic chess legend. Seeing him on equal terms with another player is already something. That Caruana was never the only favorite among the candidates and there are many others like him makes this point even more serious. So this match is about wether you want Carlsens legend to continue with a slim victory or - at least for a short break - a different world champion. I definitely go with the latter.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Giving a - somewhat - expert opinion: This WCs is really one of the best ever in terms of precision. While they didn't take the two chances they had, they play really strong moves, while trying to avoid the main lines. In comparison replay former WCs' and see how many mistakes the players made there.
Also chess played perfectly is just a draw.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I think it's unfortunate how it's going, the match just lacks romance. Compare that to Kasparov breaking Karpov mentally by forcing a fuckton of draws when Karpov just needed one win to secure the title. That was at least dramatic, this is simply a borefest.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I think it's unfortunate how it's going, the match just lacks romance. Compare that to Kasparov breaking Karpov mentally by forcing a fuckton of draws when Karpov just needed one win to secure the title. That was at least dramatic, this is simply a borefest.
You can only label this match as a snooze if you have no fucking idea of chess.

Burning Bridges

But you know what he means. He probably just checks the score and expected something to happen at some point. I'm not surprised many people consider 11 remis in 11 matches a dissappointment.

It's also a new record in consecutive draws in a World Championship, has been since game 9 I think.

The truth is the closer you watch the games - and I'm far from having followed every one - they are actually very high level and aimed at victories. As long as both can look ahead and stall the others plans, it's unlikely that anyone has such a big margin in his preparation or strenght that he can create convincing wins. But if one of the opponents would not come up with appropriate replies it would be immediately and severely punished.

It's senseless to compare 11 draws with football but I think it is like 2 heavy weight boxers. They are both hitting hard but so far no one has gone down, not once.

I recommend to listen to the live commentary because it is amazing how many variations exist that you never see on the board, and that the 2 must have in their head. I'm not a good player but learned a lot during those matches about purely strategic considerations, for example the long term value of bishops and such, and how relatively unlikely and tediously complicated brilliant tactical maneuvers are, and although most of that is basic knowledge it is still very interesting to see how important it actually is.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
The current championship match format is not conducive to risk taking; tying in the classical games should lead to the incumbent retaining the title, like the old days.

Chess needs to free itself from the black hole that is FIDE, and fast. There's a host of things that can be done to expand the reach of the game, unfortunately we appear to be living in one of the universes where the timeless game of kings is ruled by a bunch of corrupt ex-Soviet cronies.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
But you know what he means. He probably just checks the score and expected something to happen at some point. I'm not surprised many people consider 11 remis in 11 matches a dissappointment.

It's also a new record in consecutive draws in a World Championship, has been since game 9 I think.

No it's not.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
It's a record for consecutive split points (as the news post states), not draws. There's actually a distinction between the two because it used to be that draws in world championship matches did not award half points to the players.

Burning Bridges

1st sentence of the article

There was a ninth straight draw today in the match between World Champion Magnus Carlsen and American challenger Fabiano Caruana. This sets a record for the longest streak of split points to kick off a World Championship match, breaking the previous record set by Anand and Kasparov in 1995.

seems I am not the only who mixes up draws and split points then

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
1st sentence of the article

There was a ninth straight draw today in the match between World Champion Magnus Carlsen and American challenger Fabiano Caruana. This sets a record for the longest streak of split points to kick off a World Championship match, breaking the previous record set by Anand and Kasparov in 1995.

seems I am not the only who mixes up draws and split points then

There's no mix-up there. There are nine (actually ten now :/) consecutive draws and it's a record for consecutive split points (but not draws, mind you).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom