Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Child of Light - JRPG from Ubisoft

index.php

Arcane
Interview with the developers on RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/13/child-of-light-devs-on-poetry-female-characters/

RPS: Obviously, growing up for boys and girls is pretty different. There are a lot of different things to go through – many different expectations. You made the daddy’s little girl reference, but that strikes me as a really narrow, weirdly patriarchal view. I mean, if nothing else, what about her mom?

smileyPuking.gif

Karmapowered

Augur
Children have no gender till they are adult anyway. At that time, they can chose it, everyone knows that.

:troll:

Shadenuat

Arcane
You have grandia-like action bar on a screenshot, ask about that you idiots! Bleh
RPS is a living parody on gaming journalism

DeepOcean

Arcane
Interview with the developers on RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/13/child-of-light-devs-on-poetry-female-characters/

RPS: Obviously, growing up for boys and girls is pretty different. There are a lot of different things to go through – many different expectations. You made the daddy’s little girl reference, but that strikes me as a really narrow, weirdly patriarchal view. I mean, if nothing else, what about her mom?

smileyPuking.gif
This is the inustice of the world, when you want one psycho shooter to get rid of scum like that, you can't find a single one.

aris

Arcane
This seems worth to buy just from the art style alone (and the music, if the trailer music is anything to go by)

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
I'm loving everything so far except...
Child of Light centers around Aurora, a girl from 1895 Austria who contracts a physical ailment that causes her to fall asleep. Upon waking up, Aurora finds herself in the mythical world of Lemuria which has had its sun, moon and stars stolen by the Black Queen. Aurora is tasked with recovering the celestial bodies and ultimately reuniting with her father, who is a duke.
This creatively bankrupt bullshit annoys me to no end.

aris

Arcane
That's just the premise of the story, which really tells nothing about the telling itself, which is the most important.

And as far as premises go that's pretty damn original. Jesus, PS:T is about a man that wakes up with amnesia, and wants to regain his memory. How much more creatively bankrupt can you become? Still, PS:T told an excellent story.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever: A bitter leper gets hit by a car, wakes up in a magical world. Disbelieves. Then wakes up back in real world.

aris

Arcane
...and then you wake up.
Not likely to be a story like that, every half-assed writer knows that "... and then you wake up" is a horrible trope. If that does indeed happen, I will call it crap, but so far that's just speculations based on... nothing?

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks cool, kinda unique and plays like Rayman with some added jrpg combat. Doubt that its gonna suck.

Snozgobler

Educated
The "falls asleep, has an adventure, wakes up" is a very well trodden path, but that doesn't mean it's bad. The Wizard of Oz is possibly the most well known variation of it and look how enduring it's been. I think the story of the adventure is more important than the waking up, and even if they make out that the whole thing was a fever dream/metaphor for fighting the disease in her, does that really detract from the story as long as it's well paced and interesting? I don't think so, after all, all the most fantastic and over the top stories play out in a child's mind.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Warning, my post spoils the endings of an adventure game by Daedalic and another adventure game made by Dreamforge.

...and then you wake up.
Not likely to be a story like that, every half-assed writer knows that "... and then you wake up" is a horrible trope. If that does indeed happen, I will call it crap, but so far that's just speculations based on... nothing?

It happened in
A Whispered World.
Despite devs trying to make it tragic and stuff it was simply laughable. The Wizard of Oz was equally terrible. The only time I've seen this trope used well was in
Sanitarium
because it became painfully obvious that the character is in coma very early so instead of exploring a weird world and trying to make sense of it only to get blasted in the face with "it was a dream, it doesn't have to make sense, joke on you loser" you focused on exploring the psyche of the PC. Needless to say I will be very disappointed if the game will be simple "she got to fight monsters to cure herself" ruse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom