Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Child of Light - JRPG from Ubisoft

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
are you misusing the spoiler tags in the worst way possible on purpose?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Why do you think that, I've tried to make sure that I won't spoil endings of those games, which was pretty hard since mentioning them by names would already spoil their endings because of the context.

Athelas

Arcane
Why the fuck do jRPG's still do that thing where when a battle starts, they transition to a different screen depicting a completely different environment? It's so jarring.

So judging from that video, it looks like the art is pretty much the only thing this game's got going for it. Platforming and combat seemed like a banal affair, and the dialogue was very melodramatic.

Why the fuck do jRPG's still do that thing where when a battle starts, they transition to a different screen depicting a completely different environment? It's so jarring.

I've never seen this happen. Even ultra primitive ones like Dragon Quest 1 try to make it look topical.

dragon-warrior-slime-battle.png

(unless you mean something like "this corridor didn't look so wide outside of battle", but that's not what I'd call jarring)

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
She was in the forest, but the battle took place on a bunch of rock platforms.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Game looks nice.
But knowing the company's way of designing the actual gameplay, Ubisoft can suck my dick. I'll either equip my eyepatch or ignore it.

Snozgobler

Educated
Moar publicity! Ubisoft have shared a video of Yoshitaka Amano painting an image inspired by Child of Light.

The image is nice, though it seems to have a darker tone I was getting from the game art in general

Gozma

Arcane
I hate Le Art marketing. Le Melancholy Piano, such ennui, such D1P, such convince friends and family to purchase same on Le Facebook

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i know (of) him. it's just that i don't give enough of a fuck about non-pixel artists in general to be able to differentiate whether the creepiness is intentional or an unintentional result of his trademark (and somewhat shitty, imo) way to always draw the goddamn same weirdass face on everything, which just looks wrong as fuck on a child.

Snozgobler

Educated
Infinitron I believe that's the same video I linked in this thread last month, just some company other than Ubisoft has uploaded it to their channel.

aris

Arcane
AAA indie shovelware.
I give you :2/5: for your attempt of gaining recognition among your codex drone-peers by being edgy. You might want to look up the meaning of all those three words, the game is neither AAA nor indie (in the original meaning of the word, in the broader meaning of the word the two are pretty much mutually exclusive), and I don't think you have the vaguest idea of what shovelware means either.

Last edited:

Snozgobler

Educated
AAA indie shovelware.

Why, were the breasts too big?

Probably not before as she was a young child, but today's video seems to show a much older Aurora in the latter parts of it. I wonder how that factors into the game. Perhaps it's somewhat "Narnia-esque" in that the children there aged significantly while in Narnia, but when they stepped back out of the wardrobe only a very short time had passed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eurogamer review - 8/10: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-28-child-of-light-review

Child of Light's story is one of faltering steps taken on a path of personal growth. This aptly mirrors Ubisoft's own trials and tribulations of the past few years, and the developer-publisher's effort to wholeheartedly embrace downloadable games - not just as a form of content delivery but as means of experimental expression. While Far Cry 3's writer, Jeffrey Yohalem, imbues the narration and dialogue with a sing-song quality that suits the fairytale theme, there's little that is childish about Child of Light. JRPG purists may bemoan the relative lack of complexity and it would most certainly benefit from a more challenging difficulty curve to invite earlier experimentation with its rewarding mechanics, but the tone and pacing is otherwise well judged.

Child of Light stands as a wonderfully realised venture into unfamiliar territory for Ubisoft - and a welcome reminder that the industry's major players still have the creative flair to push beyond the lucrative safe ground that they so often favour to create well-crafted, highly-polished gems such as this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom