Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Child of Light - JRPG from Ubisoft

Shadenuat

Arcane
I hate when they write reviews while game is still in pre purchase

Snozgobler

Educated
Polygon's review gave it 6.5/10 because the game is, in their eyes, light on complexity. The characters and the way they fit into the story are, they say, the best part: http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/28/5660322/child-of-light-review-xbox-one-ps4-xbox-360-ps3

Ubisoft Montreal deftly plays with the baggage and expectations of its inspiration, feeling both comfortingly familiar and willing to subvert cliches enough to be surprising. I'm loathe to spill much in the way of detail about Aurora's quest or the characters she meets along the way because, to be honest, it's the best thingChild of Light has going for it.

Seems that with this and Southpark, Ubisoft enjoy making "simple" games that you'll play once for the story and then be done with them. Will probably end up playing Child of Light with my daughter, so for me at least that's not an issue.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Polygon's review gave it 6.5/10 because the game is, in their eyes, light on complexity. The characters and the way they fit into the story are, they say, the best part: http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/28/5660322/child-of-light-review-xbox-one-ps4-xbox-360-ps3

Ubisoft Montreal deftly plays with the baggage and expectations of its inspiration, feeling both comfortingly familiar and willing to subvert cliches enough to be surprising. I'm loathe to spill much in the way of detail about Aurora's quest or the characters she meets along the way because, to be honest, it's the best thingChild of Light has going for it.

Seems that with this and Southpark, Ubisoft enjoy making "simple" games that you'll play once for the story and then be done with them. Will probably end up playing Child of Light with my daughter, so for me at least that's not an issue.
I'll probably end up playing it by myself, because I am a sad case.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'll get it next week. I like this new Ubisoft. 15-20 bucks for some good games.
Call of Juarez Gunslinger, Blood Dragon, Trials Evo Gold and Fusion, now this for 15 euros too.
Fuck yes

Snozgobler

Educated
Polygon's review gave it 6.5/10 because the game lacks feminism
Fixed.

Actually one thing they specifically pointed out was:

Whatever Child of Light's structural issues, its cast of characters is excellent - and commendably heavy on female leads. Women in Lemuria don't seem to be at a disadvantage to men, and a significant number of Aurora's coterie are female. I also appreciated the absence of overt sexualization, especially considering the lead character is a pre-adolescent girl.
Apparently strong female role models isn't enough for this Polygon writer.

Also, IGN just gave it 9.3 and said: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/29/child-of-light-review
[...]perhaps the best thing I can say about Child of Light is that I was often unsure as to whether I was headed in the direction I was supposed to, and I never once cared. I just wanted to fly to every corner of the world, take it in, and smile.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
It will suck if the game mechanics are boring or non existant. I dont mind a pretty game but the core gameplay must be solid, like it is in Rayman, Call of Juarez etc.
That "want to fly to every corner of the world, take it in, and smile" quote worries me a bit. New gen experience bullshit with no good gameplay can kiss my ass.

Last edited:

Snozgobler

Educated
I have no doubt it will be very simple for anyone who actually plays games with any thought and planning. It's certainly not going to be something that requires a lot of tactics or strategy, and I doubt the puzzles will be hard. If that's what you're hoping for, you'll probably be disappointed. I'll play it with my daughter and hopefully she'll have fun. I'll probably enjoy the visuals and the story more than the gameplay, but that's the way with the vast majority of games, it's rare for me to find new games that actually have really good gameplay mechanics.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, here it is: http://store.steampowered.com/app/256290/
About the Game
The kingdom of Lemuria is in despair
The Black Queen has stolen the Sun, the Moon and the Stars. You play as Aurora, a young princess with a pure heart whose soul is brought to the kingdom of Lemuria. Embark on a quest to recapture the three sources of light, defeat the Black Queen and restore the kingdom of Lemuria.

Key Features

An Adventure Waits!
Created by the talented team of Ubisoft Montréal using the UbiArt Framework, Child of Light is an RPG inspired by fairy tales.
Take an extraordinary journey through the vast world of Lemuria and explore its mythical environments, interact with its inhabitants as you discover new locations and their secrets.

The breathing world of Lemuria
Across your experience through Lemuria you will meet encounters that you will remember, from friendly fairies and gnomes to vile wolves and dark dragons.

Fight monsters and evil mythical creatures
Aurora has the power to fight creatures from the dark and to restore the Stolen Lights. Fight alongside the Igniculus in Active Time Battle Systems.
Your firefly ally can be controlled by another player, so you can live this adventure with your friends.

15 dollars, plus a bunch of DLC. :M

Crooked Bee Impressions?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/child-of-light
H8U3.png

you + your girlfriend + worm

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
Just started playing it, not even 45m into it, but that's way more time spent then with any of the newer games (am looking at you attrocious SP rpg). Side scrolling metroidvania with FF combat, very much alike valkyrie profile with more movement freedom. So far so good, art is cool and original, combat while classic jrpgish has some gimmicky to it, and story and world seems quite interesting to explore. Off to play more :D

Shadenuat

Arcane
Every piece of text, from Aurora's thoughts to dialogue in game rhymes!
awesuuuum
No voice acting in game btw, surreal, and probably means there will be something to read along the way
Tight controls, easy to play with keyboard
Quite an amount of skills and crafting material
Runs smoothly on my old shitty Radeon
Beautiful piano
Beautiful and lulzy face expressions in dialogue screen
Beautiful everything
I feel like my alignment shifts to lawful good by just looking at the screen every minute

GAME OF THE Y--

(runs)

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
The low price also does that the person playing it is more forgiving to game's low points.
Eventho it's small in scope, if they managed to cram in a few enjoyable hours, it would be probably worth it.
Game looks like no other and plays bit different than what people are used to. Its worth a try mainly cause of its originality if nothing else.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Damn, like every classic fairy tale, this one has a bit of existential horror in it

Here's a first boss, with chorus of angels on background... hello from Dark Souls:

81027071.jpg

And there's stuff like monsters jumping on you from the dark
You know, for KIDS :thumbsup:
And no health regen for you +M(although there are some ways to gain it aside from items)

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I am probably still in my Dark Souls mood, but concidering that in this game heroine is
dead
and a leaflet I found saying that world was ruled by 4 awesum people, but now you only find their relics and statues,
it feels like I'm playing Dark Souls for younglings :avatard:

Snozgobler

Educated
The one we've clearly all been waiting for: http://kotaku.com/child-of-light-the-kotaku-review-1569859038

Everyone seems to be singing the praises of the game, who knew a game with an interesting art direction, a female lead and mostly female companions would get good reviews from gaming press? Oh, everyone except most major publishers?

That said, I do understand the AAA's blinkered view of girls only liking dress up games, pets and life sims. As much as my daughters both like to watch/commentate while I play more involved games, when it comes to games they actively play on their own, they are all depressingly bad, no matter how much I encourage them to have better taste in gaming. My youngest appears to be turning around though, which is why I was so interested in getting her to try out Child of Light.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
- What do you think they roast in these vats?
- Hopefully, not children. Oh no! What if it's cats?

:ziets:

Enjoying the game so far though.

tet666

Augur
Chick who made the Soundtrack: NSFW!
75187_68e259ea6e6b_122_1021lo.jpg

There are a lot more of her if anyone here is into big chested tattooed chicks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom