Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chinese stealing the Codex

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Dear Manager,

(If you are not the person who is in charge of this, please forward this to your CEO,Thanks)

This email is from China domain name registration center, which mainly deal with the domain name registration and dispute internationally in China.
We received an application from Huayuan Ltd on May 20, 2014. They want to register " rpgcodex " as their Internet Keyword and " rpgcodex .cn "、" rpgcodex .com.cn " 、" rpgcodex .net.cn "、" rpgcodex .org.cn " domain names etc.., they are in China domain names. But after checking it, we find "rpgcodex " conflicts with your company. In order to deal with this matter better, so we send you email and confirm whether this company is your distributor or business partner in China or not?

Best Regards,

Jim
General Manager
Shanghai Office (Head Office)
3002, Nanhai Building, No. 854 Nandan Road,
Xuhui District, Shanghai 200070, China
Tel: +86 216191 8696
Mobile: +86 1870199 4951
Fax: +86 216191 8697
Web: www.ygregistryltd.org

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
We get some good shit in the Codex mail bins.

This one is beyond me though. I know I've joked about some people seriously thinking we're a magazine, but now we've got a Chinese company thinking we have a CEO.

Norfleet

To be fair, they DID decide to suddenly contact you about it, which is more than most any other registry would have done.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
The company I work for (on a .com.au domain) actually got a near-identical email. I asked about it, but it seems like it's just an overly enthusiastic domain registrar looking to sell south east asian domain names to established brands by pretending someone else wants to buy them.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I mean it sort of makes sense if you operate in Australia - if we were looking to expand to SEA then you'd probably want to own the domain names, especially with China's, uh, interesting IP enforcement record, but I don't really believe that someone actually looked to buy those domain names, or that if they did the domain registrar would bother asking if they received an application.

Baron

Arcane
Sold! I'm the proud new owner of rpgcodex.com.cn

"RPGCodex Asia... Our trannies actually look like women!"

Monty

Arcane
What would the Chinese want with a racist hellhole ruled by unaccountable and corrupt 'authorities'?

:hero:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Funny thing is, I got one of these in support@inxile.net, as in, that exact same message, warning us that someone is nabbing rpgcodex.cn.

The company I work for (on a .com.au domain) actually got a near-identical email. I asked about it, but it seems like it's just an overly enthusiastic domain registrar looking to sell south east asian domain names to established brands by pretending someone else wants to buy them.
Yeah, it seems to be growing in popularity, I've seen em for a while now. Just a scam.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Probably an information phishing scam.

They will ask you to provide documents with personal information to verify your claim. Then they will take those documents and the fraud stuff begins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom