Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Choices in Oblivion

Chefe

Erudite
Rolling Ideas said:
Hello, this is my first post ever regarding Oblivion. I have many questions about Oblivion but for now I'll stick to the subject at hand. Although I'm new to rpgcodex, I'm somewhat familiar with TES having played Morrowind and read quite a bit about Oblivion. Anyway, I'll get straight to it.

Welcome. Eat shit and die.

Vault Dweller, how do you know that quests of opposing factions won't ever overlap? Is it possible that you will eventually get permanently banned from one guild or the other based on your choices? Well, if so, hopefully it'll happen sooner rather than later.

I'm not Vault Dweller, but I'll answer your question because I'm the self-proclaimed forum king. The reason we know the quests won't overlap is because Bethesda has told us they wouldn't. They told it to us as plain as telling us that there would be no mounted combat despite the fact that fantasy, for them, is riding around on horseback killing things.

Bethesda, to what end will one be permitted to advance in all four guilds before logically inevitable conflicts between polarized factions lead to termination of membership? In other words, will it really be possible to sustain membership in all guilds throughout the entire game? If deeds of the PC are truly universally consequential, then I'd think not.

I'm not officially Bethesda, but I'll answer your question because I'm an intern there. Again, guilds will not overlap, and you'll be able to make it to the head of all guilds despite of, well, everything. You're the king of the world!

Bethesda, If the answer to my question is yes then I probably won't purchase Oblivion. After Oblivion is released, I will of course read as many reviews from objective reviewers as possible before making a final decision.

I'll seed you the torrent after they fire me for seeding torrents.

Bitch.

Balor

Arcane
About games that end completely different ways: Hammer and Sicle.
And that's indeed different, not 'kill the main boss in different ways'.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Rolling Ideas said:
Vault Dweller, how do you know that quests of opposing factions won't ever overlap? Is it possible that you will eventually get permanently banned from one guild or the other based on your choices? Well, if so, hopefully it'll happen sooner rather than later.
It's been mentioned many times that it would be possible to become a leader of all factions. If logic is your friend, you can take it from here and figure out what that implies.

If that's too complicated a task for you, try reading this very news post: "Unlike Morrowind, however, the interests and quests of these factions do not overlap, meaning that it's now possible to rise through the ranks of all four independently."

If you still believe that the game has choices and "opposing" factions, your immersion skills are much better than mine, and you'd enjoy the game a lot.

Bethesda, to what end will one be permitted to advance in all four guilds before logically inevitable conflicts between polarized factions lead to termination of membership?
Logically inevitable conflicts? Polarized factions?
Are you for real? Are you new on this planet? WELCOME TO EARTH!!!!

Curois

Novice
Well, nothing new there since morrowind. I managed to become leader of all guilds in Morrowind except of course of both 3 houses. So my character is teh ul-ti-mate Achmage/masterthief/superfighter/overzealoustemplegeek/generalcommanderofthelegion/assasinextraordinaire :)
Now, how's that for choices and rping ;)

bryce777

Erudite
Curois said:
Well, nothing new there since morrowind. I managed to become leader of all guilds in Morrowind except of course of both 3 houses. So my character is teh ul-ti-mate Achmage/masterthief/superfighter/overzealoustemplegeek/generalcommanderofthelegion/assasinextraordinaire :)
Now, how's that for choices and rping ;)

Just watch out in case the eader of the mage's guil hires the leader of the assassin's guild to off the leader of the fighter's guild!

Chefe

Erudite
bryce777 said:
Just watch out in case the eader of the mage's guil hires the leader of the assassin's guild to off the leader of the fighter's guild!

JOURNAL:
[16th First Seed] I have one more quest to become the guild master of the Mages Guild. Steven the Magical Elf has told me I must kill the head of the fighter's guild, and I need to hire the head of the assassins guild to do it.

[17th First Seed] Went to the Darkbrotherhood hideout and paid myself 100 gold for the assassination.

[17th First Seed] Bought a vial of posion, which I gave to myself.

[18th First Seed] Went to the Fighters guild house and drank the posion.

[19th First Seed] I woke up in a graveyard as a ghost. I should probably follow the flashing red light on my GPS-enabled compass to the Mages Guild.

[19th First Seed] Upon entering the Mages Guild headquarters, Steven the Magical Elf has named me guild master!

bryce777

Erudite
Chefe said:
bryce777 said:

JOURNAL:
[16th First Seed] I have one more quest to become the guild master of the Mages Guild. Steven the Magical Elf has told me I must kill the head of the fighter's guild, and I need to hire the head of the assassins guild to do it.

[17th First Seed] Went to the Darkbrotherhood hideout and paid myself 100 gold for the assassination.

[17th First Seed] Bought a vial of posion, which I gave to myself.

[18th First Seed] Went to the Fighters guild house and drank the posion.

[19th First Seed] I woke up in a graveyard as a ghost. I should probably follow the flashing red light on my GPS-enabled compass to the Mages Guild.

[19th First Seed] Upon entering the Mages Guild headquarters, Steven the Magical Elf has named me guild master!

NOW YOU JUST NEED TO BE LADER OF THE GHOST GUILD.

Doppelganger

Novice
Chefe said:
Rolling Ideas said:
Hello, this is my first post ever regarding Oblivion. I have many questions about Oblivion but for now I'll stick to the subject at hand. Although I'm new to rpgcodex, I'm somewhat familiar with TES having played Morrowind and read quite a bit about Oblivion. Anyway, I'll get straight to it.

Welcome. Eat shit and die.
I wish I'd had a welcome like that. All I got was a polite and helpful response from Vault Dweller. Disappointed.

Chefe

Erudite
Doppelganger said:
I wish I'd had a welcome like that. All I got was a polite and helpful response from Vault Dweller. Disappointed.

Disappointed can't make up a whole sentence on its own, dumbfuck.

There's your welcome, you illiterate bastard. Do me a favor and don't quote my posts anymore.

On second thought, I like your user name. Wanna fuck?

Doppelganger

Novice
Chefe said:
Doppelganger said:

Disappointed can't make up a whole sentence on its own, dumbfuck.

There's your welcome, you illiterate bastard. Do me a favor and don't quote my posts anymore.

On second thought, I like your user name. Wanna fuck?
That's more like it, some decent abuse and the promise of sweaty man-love in the same post. I'll meet you in the car park after work.

Magnus_1

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Some questions that beg to be asked: Why Mages & Fighters are "a force for good"? What's good about a mercenary organization?

Since when was there something inherently wrong with being a mercenary? Every soldier today is getting paid for the duties he performs; does that make them bad?

If a mercenary was to only fight along side the "good guys" would you still consider him to be bad? Of course not. Selling a service does not make one evil. One can infer that when the Mages and Fighters Guilds are referred to as "a force for good," it probably means that they only do things that are in the best interests of the Empire.

Chefe

Erudite
Magnus_1 said:
Vault Dweller said:
Some questions that beg to be asked: Why Mages & Fighters are "a force for good"? What's good about a mercenary organization?

Since when was there something inherently wrong with being a mercenary? Every soldier today is getting paid for the duties he performs; does that make them bad?

If a mercenary was to only fight along side the "good guys" would you still consider him to be bad? Of course not. Selling a service does not make one evil. One can infer that when the Mages and Fighters Guilds are referred to as "a force for good," it probably means that they only do things that are in the best interests of the Empire.

You idiot, he was talking about how mercenaries aren't "good guys" nor are they "bad guys".

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Magnus_1 said:
Since when was there something inherently wrong with being a mercenary?
Did I say that?

Every soldier today is getting paid for the duties he performs; does that make them bad?
Yet there is a difference between a soldier who serves his country and gets paid, and a soldier who fights on any side for money.

If a mercenary was to only fight along side the "good guys" would you still consider him to be bad?
A mercenary could be good or bad or anything in between. An organization that provides fighters willing to fight for coins can NOT be good by any definition. It may not be bad, but it's definitely not good.

One can infer that when the Mages and Fighters Guilds are referred to as "a force for good," it probably means that they only do things that are in the best interests of the Empire.
Are they some kind of Empire-serving organizations like Blades or the Legion? No. They serve their own interests, whatever they may be at the moment. Even MW presented different guid leaders, ranging from corrupt and serving Camorra Tong (or whatever the name is) to honest folks looking after their people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom