Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your own adventure games with turn-based combat?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I thought this would be an interesting blend of genres. Any good games like this?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Fabled Lands Java is the PC adaptation of a series of open-world choose-your-own-adventure RPG books. They're really cool; none of the books have a fixed narrative or beginning and end, they each correspond to a geographic area that you can explore freely. You can come and go from each area and book as you please, picking up quests, information and items that might be useful in another book. There is absolutely 0 direction. Really one of the coolest games I've ever played, and a huge influence on my taste in games. There's a very simple turn-based combat system that's just rolling + stats + items, but this is exactly what you're looking for.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Adaption of a classic Bulgarian gamebook, with some meaningful improvements. Very monocled.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
There's a very simple turn-based combat system that's just rolling + stats + items, but this is exactly what you're looking for.

I've this game before, although the concept impresses me I couldn't enjoy the game for long. And by trun-based combat I mean from an isometric POV, top-down or third or first person.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Fabled Lands Java is the PC adaptation of a series of open-world choose-your-own-adventure RPG books. They're really cool; none of the books have a fixed narrative or beginning and end, they each correspond to a geographic area that you can explore freely. You can come and go from each area and book as you please, picking up quests, information and items that might be useful in another book. There is absolutely 0 direction. Really one of the coolest games I've ever played, and a huge influence on my taste in games. There's a very simple turn-based combat system that's just rolling + stats + items, but this is exactly what you're looking for.
This sounded like a great idea. Fired it up, and... I don't remember when was the last time I read prose so bad. I wanted to like it, but everything's so poorly written I couldn't.

@OP try Theseus.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I thought this would be an interesting blend of genres. Any good games like this?
If you're searching for gamebooks (i.e. CYOA/RPG hybrids) with turn-based combat, then try Age of Decadence, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, and Theseus: Journey to Athens. The middle of these is a computerized version of a classic gamebook by Steve Jackson, and the other two were developed by Codexers (because the Codex can never have enough CYOA).

Zednick

Educated
A few people have mentioned The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. If you like that one, then you should check out the other Fighting Fantasy books on Steam, including my favourite, The Caverns of the Snow Witch.

I think Tin Man games have also done Deathtrap Dungeon, Island of the Lizard King, the horror themed House of Hell, and a handful of others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom