Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Anabanana

Augur
A1 Up

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Vote withheld for now, but speculating about things we can't know yet:

- The "purple/blue" i.e. "shard" faction is the one using strange beasts (like the gargantuan bat and the four-legged skeletons we saw now), yet opposing soldiers around the remains of the beasts are the ones showing signs of having been exposed to supernatural heat and/or fire.
- This could mean that the "shard" faction is, somewhat counter-intuitively (if we stick to simple color symbolism in our interpretation of the arcane), the one using fire/heat magic. Of course, the blue flames could just be really hot magical flames and everything is in order; or the "red/orange/yellow" faction could also use fire/heat magic, just with a different color (and power source?) - it doesn't have to be faction exclusive, after all.
- The reason I'm nitpicking about this is my theory about them centipedes having been fried by magic - and if we're only seeing evidence of the "shard" faction using fire/heat magic, that could mean the centipedes weren't fried by latent 3rd House defenses, but by something belonging to the "shard" faction. This would be... interesting, considering we're at war with the centipede lovers.
- Another detail to consider: the centipede lovers have facial tattoos that could be of Avarlos origin, and they were wearing red uniforms. Red, as in the color of the "red/orange/yellow" faction, which was the one in charge of the lovely fortress we're now exploring. I hope that's just a coincidence and me seeing patterns where there are none (forgot the name of that phenomenon), because otherwise we would be basing our defense against the centipede lovers on a fortress they are somehow related to.
- Sure, it could be that all magic uses the same language (like Draconic in some D&D versions), and it could be that "red/orange/yellow" mages also use fire/heat, and that 3rd house defenses detect all magic (talking about the centipedes now) as hostile - but why haven't those imagined defenses reacted to our shard then?
- Since Avarlos are said to have fallen in a single night, let's assume there was some kind of a magical cataclysm involved (empires do sometimes just fizzle out, but magical empires are another story). Could the centipede lovers be some kind of corrupted remains of the "red/orange/yellow" faction? Do the 3rd house defenses only react to "corrupted" magic, regardless of faction (color), and have fried the centipedes as such?
- And let's not forget that the centipede lovers could be using red purely by accident, since sometimes a color is just a color :)
- When that unnatural darkness and cold incident occurred, the sky briefly turned violet if I remember - yet, the hostile shadow beasts didn't show any signs of blue and purple flames. Was it caused by some corrupted remnant of the "shard" faction? Was Avarlos magic the reason for the shard to awake, or is all arcane magic essentially the same?
- Why am I getting so stuck up on colors and color schemes? :)

Monty

Arcane
(lengthly but fascinating speculation)
Interesting stuff, but think I need a lie down after reading that!

One thing I don't think we should read too much into though, is the fact that the centipedes were 'fried'. I would guess that all magical factions would make some use of fire/heat in their defenses. It seems a bit of a stretch to assume that there are rigid 'elemental' schools of magic, each sticking strictly to fire, water etc - we have no real evidence for that. And the voice did detect our shard, perhaps it is too powerful to be affected by any defenses, or the centipedes were not fried by any automatic defenses but by the conscious act of a magic user ('she'?), in which case either our shard is:
- too powerful to be affected
- not viewed as a serious threat yet, just enough for the warning we received
- not noticed yet by the most powerful entity ('she') but could attract her attention if we go back to the house with it despite the warnings of the voice

Vernydar

Learned
Very interesting speculations CappenVarra . Who knows, some of it may also be right :M . A clarification though, since I took the time to double check my documents.

Your centipede-using enemies have strange clothes, but they are not red. I never mentioned any sort of color, just that they are unfamiliar. The colors they wear are mostly gray and dark brown.

Thought I'd specify this :P

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Very interesting speculations CappenVarra . Who knows, some of it may also be right :M . A clarification though, since I took the time to double check my documents.

Your centipede-using enemies have strange clothes, but they are not red. I never mentioned any sort of color, just that they are unfamiliar. The colors they wear are mostly gray and dark brown.

Thought I'd specify this :P
Thanks for the clarification, Vernydar! Must be my memory playing tricks, since I was sure there was red mentioned somewhere when talking about their uniforms. I'm glad that particular train of thought has been canceled :salute:

Vernydar

Learned
Rest assured I am not done yet. It's just that free time is extremely scarce right now. That said I might be able to update tomorrow or the day after. I hope.

Vernydar

Learned
Yes I know that an update is long overdue. I am sorry about this. I am currently entangled in quite a few problems with real life, and the impact of the end of summer was brutal, to say the least.
I have very little free time right now, and I barely check the forums currently. What little free time I have at home I usually spend with friends. Or quite often I am too tired to sit down before the monitor to I can write an update (which takes more than an hour after all between planning and the like)

I am a bit unsure about what the best course of action would be right now...

Monty

Arcane
Understood, writing something like this is quite a commitment. I would suggest just doing it whenever you can, even if it's once a week on a weekend or something... perhaps after a break you'll be more up for it again. Just don't abandon it please!

Rex Feral

Prophet
Well, as far as I can see it's only been...a year :eek: since the last update. Maybe we can revive it, supposing Vernydar is still around.

Monty

Arcane
Vernydar hasn't been around for a long time. He and 'Curufinwe' both wrote good CYOA LPs here, were both Italian, both registered within a month of each other, both abandoned their LPs and left around the same time. Make of that what you will, but he/they were churning out a lot of writing and burned out it seems.

It's also easy to start LPs like this with a vague idea of the story arc, then hit a bit of a wall when plot revelations approach (similar to the writing on Lost, B.Galactica, etc, actually) - maybe he just ran out of ideas for this story. Would be good to see him continue it but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you, it's been a year after all.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Maybe so.
Though, he said he had plenty of ideas for the LP and his only problem was that he didn't have enough time, considering his personal life.

Or maybe he felt that, considering his writing skill, it would be a far better idea to write a book instead of writing for :mob: like us. This also would reduce the possibility of theft since all material here is, pretty much, public property.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's a really hard thing to keep up this type of commitment for an extended period of time. From my own experience, the fun of writing this kind of stuff can fast turn into drudgery, and once that happens it's very difficult to continue onwards, and questionable as to if one should even. Such a burnout comes with guilt, which can lead to leaving the community entirely or at the very least taking a pseudonym. It's a shame this work won't continue, but perfectly understandable.

Then you have wordsmithing machines like the Barbarian or treave, who seem like they'll never run out of steam. I don't know how they can/could stand it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom