Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Crooked Bee, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    An MCA fan forum that doesn't have a dedicated MCA thread? Talk about playing with madness.

Anyway, just in the last day, there have been three new MCA interviews and this thread is just so I can keep track of these, as well as of all Avellone-related news now that he has apparently gone rogue indie.

http://redpagespodcast.com/episodes/

http://shaneplays.com/podcast-episode-9-siege-of-avellone/

Summary by Infinitron here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/chris-avellone-interview-on-shane-plays.101672/

Matt Chat 301: MCA on Siege of Dragonspear

Summary by Infinitron: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-on-baldurs-gate-siege-of-dragonspear.101692/

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hey, why didn't anybody tell me about that first one.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I just saw it on Twitter myself.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    You forgot the first part of the Matt Chat talk with him.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Didn't want to overload OP with videos. It's linked in the description for the second part.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. naossano Cipher

naossano
    Parrots:
    We need 7 reviews about MCA to decide if MCA is worthy of the Codex approval.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Parrots:
    The podcast seems to be quite good.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Was an answer ever given on why he departed Obsidian?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    No since everyone seems to assume he left for a horrible reason and now both parts hate each other so it's too delicate to ask.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    Parrots:
    Fuck it. If Avellone gushes so hard about Dragonspear, im gonna buy the shit outta this game... Also he mentioned at 14.15 that if there is a Baldurs Gate 3, he definitely wants to be involved. Now a Baldurs Gate 3 with Avellone as lead-writer, that would be something!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Q Augur Patron

Q
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I remeber him posting how he hates his coworkers who don't wash their hands after the toilets. Maybe that's the deal with Sawyer.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Aoyagi Learned

Aoyagi
    Parrots:
    Well, that's just disgusting. When you shake their hands, you're indirectly shaking their penises.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Parrots:
    Ergo it's rape? Ha.

^ Top  
  15. naossano Cipher

naossano
    Parrots:
    Maybe he wants to be an human stretch goal even for Obsidian projects.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Jedi Exile Arcane Patron

Jedi Exile
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Wow, he actually talks about Durance and GM in the first podcast around 1:28:00 and what exactly was cut (it was the mental dungeon). It seems that Durance and GM are connected somehow (!) and the player can find out how if he/she is clever and careful enough (Chris didn't elaborate). And he also mentions who made the final implementation of these two characters and cut the mental dungeon (no, it wasn't Josh).

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Parrots:
    Theres a connection between Durance and GM already stablished in the game according to what ive heard.

Irenaeus II i think you mentioned something of the sort. I never made it so far, my brian couldnt take it, it was so boring i wanted to cut myself.

^ Top  
  18. Jedi Exile Arcane Patron

Jedi Exile
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I've missed it then, perhaps because I've never completed Durance's quest (but I completed GM's).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Latro Arcane

Latro
    Parrots:
    So does MCA have a DS like a nerd or does he use an emulator like a cool dude?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    So, is MCA in the entire podcast or just a section?

I really don't want to listen to a bunch of strangers talk about TV shows. But if Chris is in it...

^ Top  
  21. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Parrots:
    True Detective or some show can "lick my [Chris'] balls" around 24:30 in the red pages podcast :lol:

EDIT: Also, Siege of Dragonspear talk starts at roughly 42:50.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    ^ Top  
  22. Rivmusique Arcane Patron

Rivmusique
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It isn't discussed in the game, but it's mentioned in the strategy guide:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78683-cut-content-durance-and-grieving-mother/

Show Spoiler

NOTE: POTENTIAL SPOILERS ITT. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    So I was reading through the CE strategy guide after I finished my playthrough, and I noticed there were a couple of things in Durance and GM's stories that I hadn't encountered, or even seen hinted at. Like, at all. One of them was pretty major, namely the reason that Grieving Mother is called as such (iirc it is implied in-game that she has forgotten herself, and not explored further). It's possible that I just somehow managed to pick the wrong conversation options or otherwise somehow not satisfied the requirements to get these stories, but being as I hadn't seen any hint of them at all, I thought I'd post here.

The guide has this to say about Durance's character, and his internal conflict:

Similarly, for the Grieving Mother:

These characters' stories seem to have substantially changed between the time that the guide was written, and release (so, potentially fairly late in development). Here is a list of the things that I have found to be inconsistent with the story I experienced in my playthrough:
    • In my playthrough, GM never made a comment about Durance, or vice-versa (although it would make sense that Durance would not initially address GM).
    • In-game, Durance does not seem to initially be aware that his colleagues were killed. This is a revelation to him relatively near the end of the game.
    • Grieving Mother is not blamed for the birth of Hollowborn children, but fears that she will be blamed, and her story is based around the steps she took to ensure that she would not be blamed.
    • There are hints of ending the Hollowborn crisis causing "other problems", which was not implied in the final game.
    • The fact that Durance's soul is damaged (and he is therefore undetectable to Magran) in-game would be totally explained by the fact that it was damaged by the GM. In the release version, Durance does not seem to be aware that his soul is damaged. I think it is explained by Durance saying that while the rest of his colleagues were killed by the Godhammer, he survived and his soul was only partially destroyed.
    • There are no mention of GM's children in the game. This is the big one!
    Interestingly, I managed to dig up this interview with Chris Avellone before release. It's quite a long interview, so I'll quote the relevant part:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. LizardWizard Savant

LizardWizard
    Parrots:
    What about the smarter people that wash their hands before the toilets?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Q Augur Patron

Q
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Good question for the next podcast with Chris!

^ Top  
  25. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Parrots:
    I'm interested now too.

That said, Avellone gushes about a lot of things...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)