Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm thinking of Durance mainly and his insanely high Resolve which is not exactly a high priority for Priests in that game, Sawyer Balance be damned. Just wondering if that was a decision on your part to make his stat spread the way it was, or whether it was given to you or decided for you.
In a way it was his decision since he decided to write Durance as a character with great resolve.
Then it's an interesting one considering that he seems to want Nok-Nok to be capable in combat, in order that players use him more.

Since he seems to have taken the opposite route with Durance - he created a Priest with quite possibly the worst stats that it is possible to have. I don't deny that 19 Resolve fits Durance's personality. My point is, it makes him a shit Priest, combat-wise. Same with his awful Perception & Dexterity.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyway, for the Chris Avellone completionist https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ant-is-a-disaster.124859/page-43#post-5910285
Other titles I’ve worked on that you may not know about include Omensight, Alaloth, The Walking Dead: Overkill, and Degrees of Separation (which will ship next year), all for different reasons.

Omensight: furry crap
Alaloth: "The very first isometric souls-like game ever made"
The Walking Dead: Overkill: Co-op shooter
Degrees of Separation: Arty puzzle-platformer

"Anything but Obsidian" going strong.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I sympathize with Chris Avellone on the design of Durance because the stat names in PoE are actually meaningless.
We could have had Cadegund, instead we got the character concept of "a priest who survived a god bomb explosion because the fire inside him burned brighter than the fire around him, but this left his body and soul permanently debilitated nonetheless"

Yosharian

Arcane
You could argue for the following stat spread on Durance:

MIG - high, he's an arrogant cunt that's used to getting what he wants
CON - low, his body is worn out and broken down from what happened to him at that event
DEX - high, there's nothing that suggests that Durance isn't graceful, he may be an arse but he's basically wearing robes all the time, he's gotta have learnt some dodging skills by now
PER - high, he's always watching the Watcher, suggests that he spends quite a lot of time observing people
INT - moderate, he's not too smart in my opinion, thinks he is though, classic Dunning-Kruger case if you ask me
RES - low, he can't even have a proper conversation with the Watcher without whining that he's being asked too many questions and going off in a huff, he relies desperately on a God that despises him and treats him like shit, that's not resolve that's dependence.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
RES - low, he can't even have a proper conversation with the Watcher without whining that he's being asked too many questions and going off in a huff, he relies desperately on a God that despises him and treats him like shit, that's not resolve that's dependence.
Resolve reflects a character's internal drive, determination, fearlessness, and the emotional intensity they can project to others.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
While I appreciate MCA's general humility, the fact that he doesn't much discriminate between the projects he chooses to work on means that future reactions to any MCA involvement in any game will soon average out to "so what?" Ah, to witness the fall of an icon...

Efe

Erudite
better that he works at every opportunity rather than have his "writing muscles" atrophy.

Chris Avellone

The following two quotes, two of my favorites from New Vegas, sound awfully similar.

I've just googled it and indeed, you wrote both characters (two great characters in my opinion). When writing the lines, were you aware of their similarity? Was it intended?

No, just:

1. I am a hack and forget I use the same cadences sometimes. Also, in both instances, I thought it would be a cruel and thematic fate for the player.

2. I was working very long hours on Dead Money to get it to ship in time (even skipped the New Vegas release party), and I was often writing late, which means I may not have been as on-point as I should be.

Thanks on both characters, though, glad you liked them. David Mitchell, who voiced both God and Dog, was great in the studio (he also does a good job with Shocker in the new Spider-Man game).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUqXdbbB_CA&index=60&list=PLMj7raxM5vDNqGfmXT6AE97yfEUPJvrBd Mr MCA you may get a kick out of this. It's a little ditty made in your honour.

Skdursh

Savant
I'm super late to this thread and not about to read through 241 pages of spew, but I just gotta say... I don't really think Chris Avallone's writing is all that good anymore. For like the past 7 or 8 years now all of his characters almost always come across as sterile try-hards with the personality of an old brick. Extremely verbose, but without ever actually saying anything. Granted he *used* to do some really good stuff, but everything that he's put out since after Fallout: New Vegas has been straight-up dull. He's lost his touch and his modern relevance rests almost entirely on games that he worked on a decade ago.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm super late to this thread and not about to read through 241 pages of spew, but I just gotta say... I don't really think Chris Avallone's writing is all that good anymore. For like the past 7 or 8 years now all of his characters almost always come across as sterile try-hards with the personality of an old brick. Extremely verbose, but without ever actually saying anything. Granted he *used* to do some really good stuff, but everything that he's put out since after Fallout: New Vegas has been straight-up dull. He's lost his touch and his modern relevance rests almost entirely on games that he worked on a decade ago.

How many post-Fallout: New Vegas Avellone characters can you name other than the two from Pillars of Eternity?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Pretty sure most of his jobs these days involve more consulting than writing. Helping to set up some guidelines, fixing the process, and so on. Not much of a point in hiring celebrity designer just so he can write couple of lines.

Skdursh

Savant

How many post-Fallout: New Vegas Avellone characters can you name other than the two from Pillars of Eternity?
He wrote for Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Into the Breach and Prey and did world and story design for Tyranny. The writing in all of them is mediocre at best. He also worked on Pathfinder: Kingmaker, which I admittedly like a lot, but as far as I am aware he only worked on maybe one character in it.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

This is not true. I am no Avellone fanboy and yet i don't think he has "lost his edge". I think you are confusing your opinion of the games he worked on, with your opinion on the writing he personally contributed to these games. Happens all the time...

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Honestly, if it's not written by MCA it's probably trash dialog/story

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Can't blame the new(er) guy there. I'm playing Prey right now and had forgotten entirely that MCA had worked on it, and nothing I've played so far has evoked any sort of trace or memory of his work.

The Real Fanboy
https://youtu.be/vFkRzC7HWr8?t=4065

"Obs tried non-compete-clause on Chris & he took it too personally" this dude says, saying he's met Chris twice :D

Hey quill, awesome video!!! Did you also listen to all of it just before the chris talk at the end (around 40-50? minutes into the youtube video)? According to his insider info Outer Worlds is maybe going to take place all on a giant space ship, be what fallout did to the 1950s but instead its the 1910s-20s (he said steampunk but more advanced) and be maybe the biggest announcement of the games awards (unless something called border lands? is revealed instead)!

He also said Obsidian was given "a lot of money and a legit awesome deal by Microsoft", told they have as much time and resources to make games and if there are any problems during development to contact Microsoft and legit experts will be available to help them make the best games ever (I'm so close to being an xbox girl next gen I can't even)

He also mentioned they've been stiffed on payments by loads of companies
FKeK2up.png
(not just the publicly known ones) and gives insight on some of the sad stuff they had to do during the struggle

sorry for any left out info listened to some of it before field hockey practice so can't remember everything!

Quillon

Arcane
Don't think he has insider info, he was just speculating/educated guessing.

That "MS gave acquired studios unlimited budget" thing is from some other speculation from last week.

The Real Fanboy
He said he was pretty close to Obsidian and used a lot of 'what I heard/hearing', 'what I can confirm' throughout it tho?

Fairfax

Arcane
Can't blame the new(er) guy there. I'm playing Prey right now and had forgotten entirely that MCA had worked on it, and nothing I've played so far has evoked any sort of trace or memory of his work.
He wrote Igwe, Mikhaila, "the Cook", Sarah, Danielle, and Abigail. He also wrote some of the lore and other minor characters, but AFAIK he hasn't named them.

Quillon

Arcane
He said he was pretty close to Obsidian and used a lot of 'what I heard/hearing', 'what I can confirm' throughout it tho?

I got it as he's following Obs & Bioware closely and he interpreted the news from his view, prolly with exaggeration, cos he said nothing I didn't know about from the interwebz.

During the conversation, Boogie asked Mike “why would Microsoft buy so many studios at the end of a console generation.” The reason is pretty simple, dominating the next generation. Speaking about the studios they bought, Ybarra basically implied the following, according to Boogie:

He (Mike) said we basically went in there to those companies and said: “what project do you wanna make?” And they are like “what’s our budget?” And he’s “I don’t think you understand, that’s not our question, our question is what games do you want to make? We are Microsoft and we have the budget, we just want to know what game you want to do, what are your wildest dreams”.

https://segmentnext.com/2018/11/26/newly-acquired-studios-for-xbox-exclusives/

Deleted Member 16721

Thanks! He was a lot of fun to write. I'm also relieved they made him combat effective enough so players would actually use him.

Oh yeah, he's awesome in combat. Little green killing machine. :)

I loved the bits about he and other goblins creating shrines of Lamashtu, and then the statue of him and the king. That was really cute. I like how he's kind of scared at times but also accomplishes things, and then gets proud and thinks he's the best all of a sudden. :D Really fun character in a game full of them. I wish you could have written more characters in the game, maybe for the sequel?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom