Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Codex Year of the Donut
Modest Chris says Bioware's original idea for kotor 2 was better than his, Mastermind approves

hey Mr! I'm a big fan of KOTOR 2 and I've been running a d&d campaign set in the alternate ending of KOTOR 1. I wanted to know if you're interested in talking about how the DS ending ties up with KOTOR 2. I have my ideas for the campaign and wanted to discuss them
Well, the initial BioWare proposal for K2 (which was better than our idea) was Revan was the bad guy, and you'd fight the Dark Side version from the 1st game. So already? Your proposal is likely more "true" to intention than most.

this is literally the plot to one of SWTOR's expansions

They didn’t consult with me before including Canderous and HK-47 in KOTOR 2.
Dunno about Canderous, but HK-47 wasn't Drew's character. He was written by David Gaider.
True, but Karpyshyn was the lead writer so he had final call over everything (well not ~final~ since he had a project director above him, but top call among writers).

That being said, the breakdown was
David Gaider said:
In fact, there were four writers who worked as the leads for various characters and planets. We overlapped some, but I'd say that these people know the most about their respective bailiwicks. My memory is not 100%, but as I recall the breakdown was something like this:

Me: Korriban as well as Carth, Bastila, HK-47 and Jolee Bindo -- I did the initial design on Tatooine, before it was handed off to Luke, so I know a fair amount of what went on there as well.

Drew Karpyshyn: Taris, Dantooine, end levels as well as Mission

Luke Kristjansson: Kashyyk and Zaalbar

Peter Thomas: Manaan, Unknown World as well as Canderous and Juhani

Korriban, Manaan, Hk-47 and Jolee Bindo were the best written parts of Kotor.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"undercover in super villain school" was pretty ridiculous, especially the bit where the light side solution to a quest is convincing some kid they're not very nice when two doors down they're pumping lightning in to caged, screaming prisoners. Multiple end states and tombs were high points of that game, though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Korriban, Manaan, Hk-47 and Jolee Bindo were the best written parts of Kotor.
Funny thing about Gaider providing the best work is that at first he was falling behind with writer's block and seriously considered quitting Bioware until Karpyshyn told him to just think of it as a fantasy game with space magic.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Vatnik Wumao
I read somewhere in a societal collapse scenario, gold not only worthless, but dangerous to possess, since it would attract men with guns to rob and possibly kill you. What has value in a collapse are personal skills, such as being able to fight or work machinery or help run a warlord government.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Why does gold have any value in the wasteland tho? :P
For the same reason it's always had value.

Like that time in history when some incident killed over 9x% of earth's population and left all the the unused gold/whatever earthly possessions across the world unattended/useless for survival?
it's a post-post apocalypse.
NCR currency was backed with gold and took a major hit after Brotherhood destroyed NCR's gold reserves.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I read somewhere in a societal collapse scenario, gold not only worthless, but dangerous to possess, since it would attract men with guns to rob and possibly kill you. What has value in a collapse are personal skills, such as being able to fight or work machinery or help run a warlord government.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Nigga we are talking about fuckings games lol,everyone knows that knowing how to cave skulls is superior skill when shit hit the fan. Also gold and silver do have their uses,both of them are superior antibacterials and good conduits. Also bad guys will come and fuck you up even if you don't have gold,it is not like they have xray vision that tells them which idiot have a gold bar tucked in his bag.

Quillon

Arcane
Why does gold have any value in the wasteland tho? :P
For the same reason it's always had value.

Like that time in history when some incident killed over 9x% of earth's population and left all the the unused gold/whatever earthly possessions across the world unattended/useless for survival?
it's a post-post apocalypse.
NCR currency was backed with gold and took a major hit after Brotherhood destroyed NCR's gold reserves.

Gold should have lost value in accordance with the percentage of lives lost, minus some of unrecovered/destroyed(how?) gold percentage :P

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Gold's usefulness as a currency would probably depend on how hard the society collapses. Precious metals are handy to use as currency as they are scarce to begin with, slow to produce (meaning manageable inflation), easy to store and carry around. But those properties are meaningless if tangible and human capital evaporates to the point that society degenerates to hunter gatherers. For those kind of tribals gold is only worthwhile as a bauble, something that is useful on it's own like salt would probably work better as a currency.
Fallout setting is quite advanced on the rebuilding part so it makes sense for them to appreciate gold as a backer of currency.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom