Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone Interview at Aggrogamer

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Chris Avellone; Fallout; Fallout 3 (Van Buren); Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

There is a new interview with Obsidian Entertainment's Chris Avellone over at Aggrogamer, which is mostly retrospective in nature. Have a snippet:

AG: After the formation of Obsidian and the dissolution of your former studio and team, what troubles did you have starting Obsidian out? For a new studio did you guys just pick up where you left off, or was it kind of rough transitioning over?

As far as Fallout 3 (Van Buren) goes is there any chance the files will ever see the light of day like KOTOR2 or HL2 on Dreamcast; or even a legit release from Bethesda down the line someday?

CA: There was a rough patch. We had a lot of the core guys as owners and our new leads for KOTOR2. Our philosophy stayed the same, although we needed to learn much more about the Xbox, and quickly, but that wasn't too difficult. Still aside from the Black Isle crew that left (and continued to depart over the following months), having a number of other people come on board from other companies helped change us from being Black Isle focused and more of a melting pot, where we could pick and choose from positive learning experiences people had had at other companies.

The entire Interplay support network we had at Black Isle was gone, though — no IT, no QA, no audio department, no ability to draft help from other projects if we needed programming and art help, and we were also in the position of being solely a developer instead of a developing a title with an internal team at a publisher, which is a much different beast. The schedules were tighter and more unforgiving (as well as mutable, usually in an unfavorable direction or at the cost of previously agreed contract benefits), and we often had very little leverage with contracts and amendments. One plus was that BioWare was in our court, and they gave us support with LucasArts and Atari and helped us secure projects like Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords and Neverwinter Nights 2. Note that we had some fun hurdles with that (being unable to play Knights of the Old Republic until its release and having to develop our game in a vacuum for 2-3 months before even being exposed to Knights 1 — it made sense from a contract standpoint, but from a development standpoint, not so much).

Also, even having workspace was challenging. Our first office was Feargus's attic, and his wife Margo were more than patient with our bullshit — and when I say "patient," it's more like "Samaritan," I mean — she would even bring up snack plates. The attic was hot, smelled like developer (I don't know how she got the smell out), and with 8-10 computers burning at the highest point in the house, it could become a sweat lodge at times. After being there for several months, we moved into an office park not too far away, contended with rats, a stinky duck pond with unusually aggressive ducks that would sneak up on you while having lunch, and the sketchy next door neighbors that would raid our kitchen and soda stacks (were they part of a bookie den or were they on-the-call financial investors… who knows?). We persevered and slowly expanded to fill the whole building, both floors. We got an IT department (also from Black Isle), audio, and our own QA (courtesy of Atari and Neverwinter Nights 2 and they stayed on with us). Eventually, we moved into our present digs, which are really nice, no complaints. Except that I kind of miss the rats. And the Rat King. That guy could party.

On the plus side, coming up from that was a good team-building experience. We can still laugh about how we made it through those days, it was fun seeing everyone come on board and rise through the ranks (a number of QA folks are now part of the art, animation, design, audio, and production teams), and we have a whole bunch of conference rooms dedicated to the titles we've put out, so it's not unusual to hear that "the meeting's at 1pm in the Fallout Lounge" or "we can always run the test level in the Alpha Protocol room."

With regards to Van Buren, I don't believe those files will ever see the light of day, but I don't know. And it's not up to me anyway. Fallout belongs to Bethesda, I doubt they'd dig through those archives or if they even have all the files in order to share them with the public, and I doubt they'd even want to (I don't see what benefit it would be for them). I do know that a lot of Van Buren docs have ended up on the internet and from what I've seen; they're accurate from what I remember.

I do not believe that we'd ever see the Van Buren game made, which is fine. After all, a lot of the Van Buren stuff ended up mutating and finding a home in New Vegas in any event, so it did gain new life, even if it wasn't exactly the same as it was portrayed in Van Buren (things that showed up include: Hoover Dam, the brain-damaged Nightkin, which originated in one of our pen and paper campaigns at Interplay, Caesar's Legion, the Big Empty in Old World Blues). Also, there's nothing to say that some of the concepts (rival party, Prisoner's Dilemma) couldn't end up in some other game down the line. KOTOR 2 was different because the legacy info was still in the actual game and could be unearthed (we didn't strip those out, and while it wasn't the feeling of everyone at the studio, I'm glad we didn't strip them out).​

The interview also touches on Fallout's development and the things MCA learned from it, the Kickstarter renaissance, Black Isle, and Fallout: New Vegas. Read it in full here.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Great read, i would love to see another Fallout from them, it's a pity Bethesda would probably say no to that.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
R.I.P. Van Buren.

Also aggressive ducks/gooses are not something you can laugh at, they are dangerous rabid animals which you shoud avoid at all costs.
Ye be warned!

Globbi

Augur
Loved the interview. Not much about the games, but a very nice retrospective about BI and Obsidian.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It must be fucking boring the talk about the old days for MCA. He made a billion interviews, and he has to talk about it a lot.
AG: After Interplay was acquired by Titus, Fargo leaving and Black Isle was shuttered due to financial troubles, what inspired you and your team to start a new studio rather than joining an existing already successful studio like BioWare?
Could you imagine MCA working at Bioware? We would hate Bioware for making bad RPGs, yet we would be loving them, because the God Emperor MCA is working there. The universe would just explode.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There should be an aggressive duck pond encounter in PE.

Tel Prydain

Augur
Great read, i would love to see another Fallout from them, it's a pity Bethesda would probably say no to that.
Wouldn't be shocked if they got a chance at another spin-off after 4. FONV still made a butt-load of money.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
MCA did some unorthodox comments about Bethesda in the past, but F3:NV earned a lot of money for Bethesda. Hmm. I think they will get another chance to work on Fallout.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Would be a good thing in anyone's book, especially now that Obsidian has the financial security to negotiate the game they really want to make with the license.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If Feargus has not hit up Bethesda about doing a turn-based Fallout spin-off I AM GOING TO BE PISSED!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If Feargus has not hit up Bethesda about doing a turn-based Fallout spin-off I AM GOING TO BE PISSED!
What about Obsidian's history gives you the impression they even want to make such a game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There isn't going to be another turn-based Fallout. In fact, I doubt Bethesda will ever let anybody make a non-first person Fallout. It's one of their core brands now.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Guy that can't play Arcanum said:
After all, a lot of the Van Buren stuff ended up mutating and finding a home in New Vegas in any event, so it did gain new life, even if it wasn't exactly the same as it was portrayed in Van Buren (things that showed up include: Hoover Dam, the brain-damaged Nightkin, which originated in one of our pen and paper campaigns at Interplay, Caesar's Legion, the Big Empty in Old World Blues)
Wait, Caesar's Legion was on Van Buren? :eek:

Rake

Arcane
What about Obsidian's history gives you the impression they even want to make such a game?
Well, some of them worked on Van Buren. Obsidian hasn't make a turn based game because no publiser asked them to.
Also, Tim Cain.

Stabwound

Arcane
There isn't going to be another turn-based Fallout. In fact, I doubt Bethesda will ever let anybody make a non-first person Fallout. It's one of their core brands now.
That is a sad revelation that never really occurred to me until now. :(

Well, maybe we might get another 2D fallout during the 3rd era of incline somewhere around 2040 after Bethesda is long gone. :smug:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Van Buren was going to use the F:T engine, it was going to be RT/TB hybrid.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Obsidian hasn't make a turn based game because no publiser asked them to.
Warning: People actually believe this
I really don't know how they can, especially after seeing MCA play Arcanum... :(

Duraframe300

Arcane
Obsidian hasn't make a turn based game because no publiser asked them to.
Warning: People actually believe this

Yes?

Looked at the industry in that time? We also know from Tim Cain's side that Obsidian was interested in the TOEE engine to make games in. So, thats really not a stretch. Granted, they probably didn't spend much time later to pitch old-school games, but that's because they needed to actually have the publisher be interested in their pitch.

tuluse

Arcane
Obsidian had the chance to pitch any game they wanted, and on the heels of 2 turn based RPGs getting well over a million dollars on kickstarter. What did they go with? RTwP.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian had the chance to pitch any game they wanted

What does that even mean, "any game they wanted"? You're assuming Obsidian doesn't have any commercial interests of its own. Project Eternity isn't a philanthropic enterprise. They want to kick off their own long-term intellectual property. Obsidian isn't an indie developer or a small developer like inXile, and they need to do this to survive over the long-term and not end up like Gas Powered Games.

So yes, they wanted to make a RTwP game because the Infinity Engine games were RTwP and they are super popular. It's not rocket science.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom