Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone is still pretty mad about Obsidian

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What, were you expecting him to type in all-caps and use the F-word? He called Obsidian's owners incompetent sell-outs and couldn't even bring himself to say anything positive about their (and his) most successful game. I think it's safe to say he's disgruntled.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I was promised a "mad Chris Avellone" and I knew I wasn't gonna get it. The man exudes a calmness that could right all the wrongs in the world, dot all the i's and cross all the t's. No, really this was pretty fucking tame as far as fishing for shitflinging goes quite frankly. I mean, to the point where I think some people are reading too much into it. Maybe I have different standards. Chris doesn't even say anything negative. His responses are the equivalent of shrugging.

Hey, aren't you that horse from Horsin' Around?
Long face. Horses have long faces. I am a horse. My face is long. You get that?

Sentinel

Arcane
he was provoking MCA into badmouthing another company working on the same franchise. You... don't do that.
Especially if your current wage depends on that company.
God forbid that a company that churns out self-determined blockbuster after blockbuster on a yearly basis and regularly(!) pays their employees well(!!) offers a more enjoyable work experience than some badly managed fly-by-night operation that barely clinges to life with badly thought-out and forgettable publisher grunt-work every 5 years and that this factors significanly into an employee's evaluation of said companies.
If you're implying that he quit because of constant delays in paying Obsidian's employees and low wages, why didn't he do something? He was one of the founders and CFO. He was responsible for all the employees as well.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
he was provoking MCA into badmouthing another company working on the same franchise. You... don't do that.
God forbid that a company that churns out self-determined blockbuster after blockbuster on a yearly basis and regularly(!) pays their employees well(!!) offers a more enjoyable work experience than some badly managed fly-by-night operation that barely clinges to life with badly thought-out and forgettable publisher grunt-work every 5 years and that this factors significanly into an employee's evaluation of said companies.
If you're implying that he quit because of constant delays in paying Obsidian's employees and low wages, why didn't he do something? He was one of the founders and CFO. He was responsible for all the employees as well.
Guess that's why he quit.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
nqnyx5V.gif

Sentinel

Arcane
nqnyx5V.gif
So he deserted his responsibilities and is now shit talking the management who, according to him, were trying to sell Obsidian to a publisher, effectively saving 200 jobs.
Yep, Chris is totally in the right here. I guess they should have done as he did, quit the company and leave everyone at Obsidian facing unemployment. Congrats Chris, you're a genius and a very brave man.

eXalted

Arcane
I've always been wondering how guys like CA feel when fans keep asking them questions about games that they have worked on nearly 20 years ago...

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think people read too much into this one. MCA just calmy said that he wouldn't go back to Obsidian because there are some managerial issues there. But this doesn't mean that he is an angry, mad ex-developer. He seems more apathic than angry towards Obsidian.

Sure, sure, keep sucking on that Obsidian cock. You have lots of work to do if you want to beat Infinitron in the line for that sweet designer job.
Especially after Infinitron got InXile mad at Codex on purpose so there could only be one true love left (Obsidian).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That said, previous games both Tim and I have worked on have definitely focused on combat to the extent of damaging the storyline, especially enforced/mandatory violent path options, and ones that had obsessive weapon design schemes that had a priority over narrative aspects.

Avellone's definitely not a fan of Sawyer-style development. In other words, as far as gameplay goes, Obsidian is better without him. :smug:

Also New Reno was MCA's child, wasn't it?

He was responsible for the execution, but he didn't conceive it.

duanth123

Arcane
What, were you expecting him to type in all-caps and use the F-word? He called Obsidian's owners incompetent sell-outs and couldn't even bring himself to say anything positive about their (and his) most successful game. I think it's safe to say he's disgruntled.

Maybe in your pussified world where bitchy back-biting is the absolute expression of anger.

Seems to me like Avellone simply never intends to work for Obsidian again and so need pull no punches concerning his views on management.

In contrast to your stupid clickbait caricature, he's even-tempered throughout the interview, which is exactly what you'd expect of a man who can appreciate the realities of life, as evidenced by his entire career.

Last edited:

almondblight

Arcane
Also, you would expect better from the man who is responsible for some of the best characters/story arcs in the industry than to speak well of a company which usually has this kind of writing quality:

Never understood how that was supposed to be worse than the writing in places like San Francisco or Modoc.

Lost five minutes of my life getting baited by infinitron.

He seems too much disconnect from management as the senior dev and one of the owners although.

Fairfax

Arcane
You don't know if he's "mad", however, so the headline is pure sensationalism.
As for FNV, he's praised the game countless times, the first part of a short interview with loaded questions doesn't mean he "couldn't even bring himself to say something positive".

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I think that's a bit unfair. It's an average Fallout fan asking about stuff a lot of them think or wonder, surely MCA knows that as well.
Also, the more people ask Chris these Obsidian questions, the more he seems to open up.

When I talked to Chris about an interview, I asked if there was any topic that was off-limits. He said:

And when I asked about uncomfortable topics, he said:

Chances are MCA told the guy something similar. If he did, there was no reason for the guy to assume there was a problem with the questions (though some are definitely poorly worded).

Ok, but I can't think that isn't unconfortable to answer that kind of questions, even if he agrees (Your words can have some consequences if you don't chose them correctly). I was talking about myself in his positition, but if he has no problem then it's not a problem.

Rev

Arcane
Never understood how that was supposed to be worse than the writing in places like San Francisco or Modoc.
You're right, I'm sure it's a perfectly fine reaction to say "you've been a bad boy but if you say you're sorry and don't do it again it's all fine", after seeing your hometown nuclearized and being turned into a ghoul as a result.
Forgive me for doubting the mastery of Pagliarulo and the other geniuses at Bethesda writing departure.

Black

Arcane
If he's working for bethesda he's worse than obsidian.
Race traitor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom