Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone Talks Project Eternity at VG24/7

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment; Project Eternity

VG24/7 has talked to Obsidian's Chris Avellone about Project Eternity and why it's awesome, he's awesome, and the backers are awesome, too. Have a snippet:

VG247: So, how does it feel to make $1.6 million with 27 days left to go? What does that influx of funding tell you about what people are looking for in their RPG experience today?

Chris Avellone: Well, I uess the old-school RPG genre isn’t dead after all. Players recognize that you don’t need the latest graphics, tint control, fully voiced characters, and distracting bells and whistles to make a great game, and in some cases, it makes for a better role-playing game not to have those attachments present. [...]

Can you give us an insight into what stage of that process you’re at now?

We’re in pre-production, although most of our efforts at the moment are focused on the Kickstarter. Adam Brennecke is heading up our production and tasking efforts – he’s where we’ve gotten most of our Kickstarter metrics and planning.

Josh Sawyer is our project lead and he’s laying out world elements, races, and systems, I’m working on narrative approaches and character concepting – which should be up this week -Rob Nesler is setting up the visual look and feel of the game, and Tim Cain is working on a number of design elements of the game, including basic stats and armor mechanics, as well as ideas for non-combat ability design.

In addition to the folks above, we have a number of other Obsidianites are working on gameplay and graphics, which you’ll see samples of in the days to come.

Project Eternity is geared towards bringing back the magic of classic RPGs like Baldur’s Gate. Can you give us a run-down of what key values you absolutely have to include in the game to make sure the end product meets hits that target?

Significant character creation with classes, races, skills, and character development. Party-based tactical combat – some of the mage battles in Baldur’s Gate and the boss rival adventuring crew battles in Icewind Dale 2, especially the Holy Avenger fight and the Chult dragon fight, are moments we want the player to challenge themselves with in Eternity.

There has to be a meaningful, strong selection of companions, along the lines of the Baldur’s Gate and Planescape: Torment crew, and a strong storyline, quests, and freedom to move, explore, and quest as you would in an Infinity Engine game.

You also need reactivity to events in the world and factions based on your actions, as well as narrative and character continuation into future titles – backers and players willing.​

You can find the full interview here.

Dantus12

Educated
-Rob Nesler
Great on the technical side of asset implementation . Not fond of the artistic side ,He seems to be a 3d generalist, Hunted's art was a visual horror. He's by a landslide better in modern settings.
Still no race concepts or even world concepts.

"We’ve given a lot of thought to the construction of the world in a global sense, and an equal amount of attention to specific moments in the game we thought would be cool. There’s more on this to come, even if you have to wait until you play the game itself. We don’t mean to tease, but as virtual gamemasters, it comes with the territory."

I need to read more, and lurk more, confused.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Sega owns Alpha Protocol?

Very informative interview for the rest.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim Cain is working on a number of design elements of the game, including basic stats and armor mechanics
If armor has both AC and DR I swear....
Dark’s a little boring to me, and it’s also too easy to fall down that hole in storytelling in an attempt to be pseudo-hardcore.
:bounce:
Exhaustion with the pitch process was part of it. We’ve been pitching titles for months upon months upon months upon months, and even then, none of them are isometric RPGs that we used to do and love.
What's wrong, Chris? No one wants to fund your awful action games?
I’d argue RPG’ers are a lot more tolerant and accepting of a variety of issues than publishers give them credit for.
Have you been to your forum lately?

Endemic

Arcane
Roguey, do all your posts consist of bitching about Obsidian?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not all of them, no. Many of them yes. That one isn't even entirely negative, I was pleased with their decision to not go GRIMDARK which is a pleasant slap to the face to those people who were all "No renaissance-style cultural changes? Hell yeah this is gonna be extreeeeeeeeeeeme."

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Exhaustion with the pitch process was part of it. We’ve been pitching titles for months upon months upon months upon months, and even then, none of them are isometric RPGs that we used to do and love.

Well that settles it. They won't upset any publishers, because none care...

Israfael

Arcane
This project eternity reminds me of last rays of the sun before the sunset.. its brighter than usual and extremely beautiful, but it can be the last light (so to say) before the sun goes supernova and the remaining blackhole (EA/beth) sucks in everything that left after the cataclysmic explosion... Obsidian vidya looked pretty much like 'eulogy in advance' for me, with the sad faces of MCA/Cain et al looking and asking for the chance to shine again before they pass out :roll:

Endemic

Arcane
Not all of them, no. Many of them yes. That one isn't even entirely negative, I was pleased with their decision to not go GRIMDARK which is a pleasant slap to the face to those people who were all "No renaissance-style cultural changes? Hell yeah this is gonna be extreeeeeeeeeeeme."

No, you praised Tim Cain then resumed complaining about Obsidian being a shit developer. Maybe you could actually tell us what it is you like in a RPG? What you'd do if you were in charge of PE maybe?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

No, you praised Tim Cain then resumed complaining about Obsidian being a shit developer. Maybe you could actually tell us what it is you like in a RPG? What you'd do if you were in charge of PE maybe?
I actually bashed Tim in that post. Armor with both AC and DR values = fail and he did it twice.

For this kind of project I want creative fiction with fun turn-based or phased-based combat. Anything I perceive as not-creative or not-fun is going to get bashed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom