Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Chris Avellone To Draw Personal Trolls for Most Generous Codex Fundraiser Backers

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'd prefer if he spend time working on the game so it doesn't have shitty rtwp combat (that'd be new), bugs, glitches, broken camera (for my buddy racofer-kun) and other games that are present in every (or almost every) Obsidian game than some fucking drawings.
If his spending an hour drawing a few doodles in his spare time can raise potentially hundreds or thousands more dollars for the project, not to mention some good PR, I'd say that's a pretty worthwhile use of time all things considered.

Black

Arcane
I'd prefer if he spend time working on the game so it doesn't have shitty rtwp combat (that'd be new), bugs, glitches, broken camera (for my buddy racofer-kun) and other games that are present in every (or almost every) Obsidian game than some fucking drawings.
If his spending an hour drawing a few doodles in his spare time can raise potentially hundreds or thousands more dollars
Why not go one step ahead and bullshit MILLIONS.
You know what good PR for Obsidian would be? Not making buggy games.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If his spending an hour drawing a few doodles in his spare time can raise potentially hundreds or thousands more dollars
True, but drawing trolls is easier.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
If the Codex get even 4 people to donate, that's $1000 and 10 minutes of Chris' time. Sounds pretty good to me.

You're really going to go on and suggest that Chris a) has much to do with bugginess of Obsidian's games b) is in a position of power to fix them and c) could fix all of them in the span of an hour? Really?

Esquilax

Arcane
If the Codex get even 4 people to donate, that's $1000 and 10 minutes of Chris' time. Sounds pretty good to me.

You're really going to go on and suggest that Chris a) has much to do with bugginess of Obsidian's games b) is in a position of power to fix them and c) could fix all of them in the span of an hour? Really?

Edgy aspie dumbfucks don't understand this, sea. MCA could be posting on a blog/twitter or doing pretty much anything and these morons would just say "OH YEAH WELL MAYBE INSTEAD OF GOING ON TWITTER YOU SHOULD FIX YOUR GAME LOLOL!!1!" as if one has anything to do with the other. Black doesn't understand cause and effect here.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
MCA is one of the founding members of Obsidian, which means that he may even have a minority stake in the company. Feargus may be the business guy, but that doesn't make him The Supreme Overlord of Obsidian. If MCA doesn't have enough power to put his foot down and force some incline, then nobody has it.

Black

Arcane
I can only imagine how much better AoD would be right now if VD was to draw some pointless shit for people, $250 each.

The Codex is just too prestigious nowadays for Avellone's doodles. Tell him that we'll talk once he comes back with something more Michaelangelo-ish.

edit:

I can only imagine how much better AoD would be right now if VD was to draw some pointless shit for people, $250 each.

Yeah, who needs free money.

Hey man, in all seriousness are we gonna see AoD before Oct 2013?
Why does it matter? These are two very different games.

Also, what do you think of possibly letting Fargo use your game engine for wasteland 2?
It's a silly notion.

First, getting an engine means shit if your programmers aren't familiar with it (anyone remembers Torn and the issues Black Isle had with Lithtech engine?) and Torque - a client-server engine designed for first-person shooters - is a very, very cumbersome engine. We used it because it was cheap - $100 to try.

Second, to use the engine for something else, they will have to scrap all but the basics (turns and APs), and the basics are never an issue. It's the details (the combat depth) that takes the most time, testing, and balance.

Our engine has value either for someone who would want to make an exactly the same game (kinda like using the Spiderweb editor to make more of the same (same systems, different story) or for someone like Brian & Annie (two writer/designers), not for a proper, sufficiently funded team.

I don't have any hard numbers, but how about the fact that Unity itself exists? Could you get an engine of this caliber for $1500 in 2001? Or look at all the engines you can download for free to play around with: Unity, Source, Unreal, CryTek, that's just off the top of my head. What engine could you download for free in 2001 to mess around with before you decided to license it?
The fact that Unity exists tells us nothing. It's a third-rate engine that nobody really wants.
http://unity3d.com/gallery/made-with-unity/game-list

Like Torque and other cheap engines, its primary market is wannabe developers who will get the license, tinker with it, but will never produce anything. A proper studio can certainly make a good game with it, but because they have skills, not because Unity is that good.

The cost is irrelevant. Fargo could have as easily paid 250k (for argument's sake). What engine you could download? Pretty sure any engine. All engine companies would let you try before you buy (assuming you were a semi-legit company). As for engines, they were always around. Gamebryo? Lithtech (of TORN's fame)? Torque even?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
He seriously called unity a tinker engine that isn't used for anything? they're one of the engine giants. Epic's gone on record saying Unity is their biggest competitor, not crytek.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
30 :takemyjewgold: send to Australia. Don't need Trolls as someone as clever as me can steal liberate any avatar he needs. Consider it a penance for all MCA games I torrented in the past. ( and game will be still :codexisfor: ) :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom