Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Chronicles of Elyria

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Mortmal, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    http://imgur.com/gallery/wzdAg
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/
    I dont believe one sec this will happen, every sandbox mmo promising something similar always end up canceled and vaporware, but i think its entertaining enough to read.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. funkadelik Arcane

funkadelik
    Too good to be true. I play all the open PVP full loot games and they all sounded that good to begin and they're all still shit. Maybe once though...

Usually just ends up with me unsubbing for 6 months but getting bored of arena pvp games and wanting to loot/grief other players so I go back.

#1stWorldProblems

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Alchemist Arcane

Alchemist
    Kickstarter for this is live...
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...a-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging?ref=nav_search

And wow... this seems ridiculously ambitious. I so want an MMO like this to exist, but how can a small team pull this off? And for only $900k?

I'm tentatively in for $50 early bird tier - but I might still pull out if I come to my senses.

I really think they should start trimming down features now to make this even possible to do.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. theSavant Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Oh... I wished this was a Wizards & Warriors remake. The hills and treelines fit perfectly :lol:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. JamesGoblin Literate

JamesGoblin
    Paying money to get married, have kids, age and die. Yay!...*cough

On a serious note - it can end up being much more than that. Not exactly topping my hypemeter, say - I'm cautiously optimistic.

They had 0.5M before Kickstarter, where they got additional 1.4M, and the crowdfunding continues. Not exactly AAA budget - I guess it will end up anywhere between $4 and $10M pre-launch, depending on future investments and all kinds of other stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. SmartCheetah Arbiter

SmartCheetah
    One thing I don't like about it so far is that SJW is strong within' the community. And there are a lot of carebear role players. If they want the game to really suceed, there must be some risk behind everything, otherwise it would be boring.
    Cautiously optimistic, just as you are.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. belowmecoldhands Savant

belowmecoldhands
    Not every sandbox MMO/RPG has to be harsh. I've much preferred MMO's like Wurm Online and Mortal Online and Xsyon with PvP, but that doesn't mean I don't want Minecraft or a more accessible/friendlier sandbox to exist. I just don't want them coming to my MMO and bitching like children. Live and let live should be the standard we strive for. We're all differnet and should respect that.

The danger--I guess--is we all end up playing the same cloned game and become clones ourselves. "Live and let live" means to be tolerant of differences. It doesn't mean you let somebody else or somethign else step all over you until you're the same.

And that's just it. Maybe we can't be tolerant of difference. So we have to be the same. And maybe the reason we cna't be is because of conservation of energy? It requires too much energy to preserve differences, so they're normalized and scaled down.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. JamesGoblin Literate

JamesGoblin
    SmartCheetah belowmecoldhands I'd say bigger challenge (besides fine tuning PvP as mentioned, which, of course, isn't trivial) is making and polishing enough of systems and content for the "casual" fans to stick with the game. The money and manpower needed are yet to reach that level, in my opinion. Of course, threads like this one matter in that regard - and, in general, spreading the word about the game is crucial.

^ Top  
  10. SmartCheetah Arbiter

SmartCheetah
    I like most of the ideas behind that project (some of them are pretty huge. Eg. all the scripting behind Offline Player Characters - but I'll talk about that later in my post) but some part of the community once again shown that there are a lot of people who totally disagree with creator vision, trying to force something on him.
    And I'm not talking about carebears and casuals this time. I'm talking about small "I backed few thousands in the KS, I want something more valuable for that" crowd and bigger group of people who keep crying about the inheritance/character life expectancy. They don't like the system Caspian described in the last journal because "It breaks immersiun!", "I want to play a kid for a longer time!", "I want to play my family only, not some weird NTC's!".

First group is retarded, because they knew what will happen after backing those few thousands. They knew what are the rewards, and now they(well, at least a small group) want more? Funniest gal was the one who said that every birthday she should be given enough story points to "buy" herself another queen title in case her current character dies, because "she paid for it". Lol. Good thing is - people reacted very negatively to these posts, so I'm ok with existence of such elements.

Second group is most cancerous tho. They try to force some kind of vision on developers, imagining things I can't even believe. While I'm totally with people who say "Hey, it's just a game, lets start with 15 years old characters who spawn out-of-thin air after our main character permadies" - because it's just a game, and I don't see any point in justifying the "realistic" and "immersive" aspect of that specific feature - I'm totally against people who are looking for realism and immersion on every fucking step. Some of them are already criticising Caspian and his team because of some design decisions which aren't compatible with their narrow minds.
    But oh well - every MMO is plagued with communities full of such individuals. I hope Soulbond wouldn't bend to them. A lot of games got fucked because of vocal communities.

Now for the topic of OPC scripts. Do you guys think it's gonna be easy to implement AI which would take our toon to work, eat and come back home to rest at night? Personally, I don't. Maybe easy scripts like leaving a guy to work as a vendor, guard or something. Other then that, they should stick to abstract automatization. I mean, lets say you log off and your major profession is mining. Before you log-off, you could chose whatever you want to do. Maybe your character want to learn something new? Or maybe you want to keep mining and smelt the ore into bars?
    Now, lets say you log-in after 7 days, so game is calculating your skill/item gains based on your choice and current skills/other modificators. Your character in the game world was still lying in the bed, or just wasn't there. Simulation like that could work, and shouldn't be that hard to implement.
    Now imagine the same thing with your toon doing this stuff in actual game world. Pathfinding issues, depleted minining locations, burning forest, monsters or anything else and AI goes crazy. Personally, I don't believe in that feature. I'm still looking forward to design journal and their ideas about OPC scripts.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    ^ Top  
  11. JamesGoblin Literate

JamesGoblin
    SmartCheetah I would be pleasantly surprised to see some more complicated AI scripts being made efficiently by a small indie team, that is - in addition to all things they are working on.

Speaking of forum groups, I heard that something similar is happening on Shroud of the Avatar forums: small groups of big (and I mean BIG) pledgers are putting insane pressure on the dev team. Of course, they are using finer wording and indirect arguments, but the point of the message is "We gave you all that money, so..."

^ Top  
  12. grimace Erudite

grimace
    What is Chronicles of Elyria? | Pre-Alpha Progress Update

New to Chronicles of Elyria? Meet the team working on developing the MMORPG that's redefining the genre, take a look behind the scenes, and find out how the team is creating a living world run by players.

https://youtu be/h_ZG22ckzB0​

Here's the hype video!

$3,180,878 Total Collected as displayed on the website.

^ Top  
  13. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Did we all learn nothing from Scam Shitizen?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. SmartCheetah Arbiter

SmartCheetah
    Latest updates are mostly talk about new "funding" packages, promotions and other stuff. It got to the point where you can buy basicly everything. Noone wanted to buy himself as a king(there was one slot left) on Eastern US server? NO PROBLEM. Let player choose the king! Of course if you want to choose, you got to buy a "token" for 10dorra. Person with most tokens will win!
    Yeah, way to go Soulbond >.>

I followed this project and had some hopes for it. They are not aiming for the skies like Star Shitizen does, but still they try to milk their playerbase by just showing some models/pretty graphics from time to time.

^ Top  
  15. grimace Erudite

grimace

What's the cost of hype?

It's always free to watch the train go by.

^ Top  
  16. HeyCheckOutHowHardICanPee Educated

HeyCheckOutHowHardICanPee
    By early on their early-alpha release videos were nothing but storebought packaged pre-made assets from Unreal market + a team that was nothing but idea guys and 1 single developer that had only worked with HTML before, which sort of makes one hope that they used the early hype and money to actually fund good developers for this inane amount of content and magic to happen.

I'd hate to be someone who has to work on an MMO that functions on Unreal though, the amount of work you have to do to jerry rig the engine to actually function as an MMO engine is overwhelming to say the least.
    Hell, I even remember talking to an ex-Tera developer (I swear to god that game runs like shit in the western versions for some reason) and the first thing he told me on the brink of asking why they used Unreal was

^ Top  
  17. Intrigued007 Educated

Intrigued007
    ^ Top  
  18. grimace Erudite

grimace
    It's going to take me a day to read all of that.

^ Top  
  19. Intrigued007 Educated

Intrigued007
    ^ Top  
  20. SmartCheetah Arbiter

SmartCheetah
    It's gonna flop hard. Project was way too ambitious for such a small team. Now we're hearing about downsizing of their studio, about leaving SpatialOS behind (few months ago every naysayer was answered with "DUDE, THEY USE SPATIALOS, THEY DONT HAVE TO DEVELOP THE NETCODE".
    As I liked the project in the beginning, I've started to hate it after they monetized everything, trying to get money for every freaking package for a game that doesn't even exist yet. It's like poorer version of Star Citizen where you can't even "touch" what you bought. Now they have the reason to push even more crowdfunding options because of "no publisher" drama. Meh.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Intrigued007 Educated

Intrigued007
    Caspian says, "It really isn't anything to be alarmed about. Continue to support us as you have been, we will continue to push toward pre-Alpha and Alpha 1 and the release will generate enough residual interest and revenue that we can self fund. Just don't lose your shit and create a self fulfilling prophecy."

I'm sure the pre-alpha client will generate several hundred thousands additional backers, since 16,000 have already pledged after two years of development.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Intrigued007 Educated

Intrigued007
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. grimace Erudite

grimace
    $7,923,369 to https://chroniclesofelyria.com/shop ... and there are some development issues ...

"The TL;DR is: we're experimenting with other programming languages and environments for our gameplay mechanics and platform in order to create a more efficient, scalable world and platform. Things are coming along slowly on that front, but will pick up shortly."

Show Spoiler

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChroniclesOfElyria/comments/f1bbw6/sbs_investigating_c_c_and_rust/

^ Top  
  24. Alfgart Augur Patron

Alfgart
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It's dead. What a surprise, noone saw this coming /s

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/news/34919/State-of-Elyria-Into-the-Abyss

Show Spoiler
    [...]

Into the Abyss
    For the last four years, since May of 2016, Soulbound Studios has been a crowdfunded company. Our first game, Chronicles of Elyria, has been funded, thus far, almost entirely through the pledges and generosity of our backers. But that was never our intent. When we launched our Kickstarter back in 2016, it was with the plan to use the money to hire additional staff, put together a playable demo, and quickly attract publishers who would be willing to fund the remainder of development. So our plan was to use Kickstarter to, you know, kick-start the development process.

We were fortunate, or unfortunate as it turned out, to attract publishers very early on in our development process. We had publishers from all over the world flying in to meet the team, see our development progress, and get hands-on with the game. But after being in production for just a few months, there wasn't enough to show yet. So the conversations generally went something like "Either work faster, show us more, or we're going to want to take over development and make changes to the business model." This was unacceptable to us, and one by one the conversations with publishers fell silent. Fortunately, we were able to continue crowdfunding for another couple years, at which point we felt like we were finally ready to start talking with investors. The problem was, by two years into development, and two years being crowdfunded, our inability to get a large influx of several million in cash meant development was going slower than we'd have liked. It was all good development, necessary, and even appropriate for our team size, but slower than we'd have liked.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to find investors who understood that operating in a cash-lean environment doesn't allow for growth, and stifles velocity. What we did find were several investors who said "Why are you talking with us? If you're confident crowdfunding will sustain you, then you don't need us. And if you're not confident it'll sustain you, then we're not confident enough to invest." For better or worse, we suspected that in order to get an investor, development was going to have to be far enough long that they simply couldn't refuse because we were so close to being done. So our goal for the last year or more has been to push forward as hard and fast as we could, relying solely on crowdfunding, until at least the Alpha 1 was complete. And up until now, we were successful....

But to our great sadness.... with the failure of Settlers of Elyria, and five long months of only limited crowdfunding revenue coming in, Soulbound Studios has officially run out of money. Last night I was forced to do something I never thought I'd have to do. I closed the online store, put the SoE map back into read-only mode, and laid off all the employees...

Before taking the store down and laying off all the employees I had a long conversation with Vye and Snipehunter. We considered long and hard about launching our Kickstarterversary early this year, and being open with the community about our need for additional funding. We were pretty confident that if we made all of our previous promo items available for sale on the store, and were transparent about our needs, that the community would rally behind us, pledge more support, and sustain us long enough to get more playable content into the hands of our backers. With gameplay that was directly relevant to the aristocracy and nobility, with more information about kingdom and land management, that might have been enough to sustain us until we could get to Alpha 1 and land some investors.

But we decided not to. While we had no doubt that our backers would come to our aid, we're living in a volatile period in our world's history. With unprecedented changes to society caused by the Covid-19 outbreak, and with economies beginning to suffer all around the world, I made the hard decision not to try and get additional crowdfunding. I knew doing so would mean having to close the studio. But it was the right thing to do. I'd rather people spend their money on games they can play now, or better yet, food and shelter, rather than on the continuned development of Chronicles of Elyria.

So, with no additional funding, the Chronicles now descend into what is often referred to in the monomyth or the Hero's Journey as "The Abyss" or "The Ordeal." It's the period in a story where the protagonist reaches their lowest point, and is often marked by a figurative or even literal death, allowing them to travel into the underworld. And so, for the time being, Chronicles of Elyria heads into the darkness...

[...]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)