Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Squeenix Chrono Cross

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Solid Snail, Mar 16, 2019 at 7:19 PM.

1. Solid Snail Educated

Solid Snail
    So, what's the general consensus about Chrono Cross? I just started the game because it was one of the "I wanna play this but I can't because it's NTSC-US" thing when I was a kid, but in 2019 there's no problems about ctr TVs outputting the game in black and with with a constantly moving image. I read some opinions in and there about the game considered...well, not so good if not for the soundtrack..

But I need to say, I'm quite enjoying it, even if the game has its issues, like missing a plot of some kind with a series of events simply happening and you got stuck in the middle of them.

I'm liking how simple the battle system is, even if that color field was intimidating at the beginning, it's not really so much important and you can win the battles in several ways (actually I still need to see a game-over, even because when you are dying you can simply leave the battle, heal and try again).

I don't know what to say about the lack of random battles: it's good because you don't need to waste your time around, but it's also bad because the "level" of your character is somehow capped and you can't get stronger than that, so you can't bruteforce the fights if you got stuck in one of them (which is rather hard because as I told I never had problems...well, for now).

I like the possibility to switch between two dimensions and the
    Show Spoiler
    bodt swap just happened with the evil dude, didn't expect that

It's not even comparable to Chrono Trigger which was much better under all aspects, but it's still a very good game if you compare it to many of the jrpgs released today like Tokyo Xanadu Ex, just to make an example of a game I wasted my money on recently.

It seems back in days the focus was on providing simple but engaging "plots", with some nice mechanics, explorations and optional stuff/secrets, while today usually 99% of jrpgs are just creepy games with underage girls filled with pointless dialogues and dumb mechanics which are here just to annoy the player.
    Like, the worst of jrpgs of yesterday is the best jrpg today compared to those releases.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Poseidon00 Educated

Poseidon00
    Funny i'm actually playing it right now.

Chrono Cross is a game that grows on you the more you play it. At first I didn't think it a fitting sequel to the first game. Now, I think it did an amazing job at keeping the themes of the previous one while adding new ones that are perfectly fitting. I like the large number of characters, the element system, and the option to go around and have your characters meet their other selves who perhaps made different choices, learning something in the process. The replay-ability is high with the large number of endings and character variety and, at times, multiple branching paths to choose from. It sticks with it's central themes the way Morrowind does and is better off as a game for it in my opinion.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    its butifle

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Solid Snail Educated

Solid Snail
    How far are you into the game? I wonder how long the whole thing is, I checked a walkthrough and it seems I'm midway disc 1, but I know I have several optional tasks to complete, and I'm around 13 hours more or less. I read disc 2 is very short, like two dungeons only, it seems very short to be a jrpg.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    generally we refer to which hundred characters you've recruited, from the first 100 to the final thousandth

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Poseidon00 Educated

Poseidon00
    I just got chased out of Viper Manor for the 2nd time after going through the string of boss fights with Orcha and Grobyc.

Chrono Cross is one of those games where I want to do and see as much as possible before moving on, so the game feels long for me but if you just breeze through it it's not very long.

But the appeal in subsequent playthroughs is that you can end the game at any point in time by making a beeline towards the final boss, changing the ending if you do so, so an overly long game probably won't be able to pull this off as well.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Hyperion Magister

Hyperion
    It's very good, but has its flaws. I recently recommended it in a thread looking for storyfag games. I'd say it falls under that canopy as a 90's era JRPG, although it does get incredibly convoluted. Getting the 'true' ending might be the dumbest fucking thing I've ever had to do in a game, by the way. And I have no idea how the fuck the game expects you to deduce it from the minute hints thrown at you. There was also the obvious development Hell it went through, since the story felt incomplete and rushed - Guile is clearly Magus (and I think he was in some Manga adaptation of the game?), but it never went anywhere because of it. Would have been nice to see the brother of the game's most important character make a comeback....it's kinda significant, ya know?

Ehhh. Chrono Trigger is good, but at the risk of the Codex taking out their pitchforks on me....it's highly overrated. There's no real difficulty to speak of, except for maybe the Double Golem fight if you make the mistake of spamming the wrong attacks on them and lock them into copying Physical / Lightning. There's virtually no customization available, combo attacks are mostly unnecessary since the difficulty isn't there to need them. But yes, I will admit being able to beat the game with a dead protagonist is pretty cool and revolutionary in the JRPG scene.

Chrono Cross' combat system is simply more fun imo. Mixing and matching different attacks with a nice risk v reward with Weak / Strong / Fierce attacks, then following up with a spell cast was a lot of fun. But again, for the most part, the difficulty simply wasn't there. The tropical setting was a great breath of fresh air, and Obsidian should have taken notes on how to make both a pretty, and fun island-based world before tackling Deadfire (but that's neither here nor there....).

Like I mentioned in the previous thread, the game simply throws too many fucking characters at you. There's something like 52 that can't all be gotten in 1 go (which is a good thing), but only Serge, and Glenn are any good. Too good, in fact. Mastermune Serge, and Dual Motherfucking Einlanzer Glenn are pure fucking beast mode, and break the game (99% chance to hit Fierce attacks? Yes, please!) while everyone else is just kinda.....eh. I guess Norris, Viper, and Guile (his Element Panel is reversed, which makes him a badass at endgame) fill the 3rd spot pretty well. Have fun missing out on Glenn because you decided to be a good friend, and get rewarded with some faggot with a mohawk, and a Fishing Rod to join CHA PARTY instead.

The Lynx thing was real cool, but only added to the stupidly convoluted plot, and just wait 'till you get to Chronopolis and have no fucking clue what's going on.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Echo Mirage Arcane

Echo Mirage
    It goes without saying that the soundtrack is excellent.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Poseidon00 Educated

Poseidon00
    I typically use Leena and Macha personally. Leena has that sweet Element-revival ability and Macha is the best tank in the game.

And yeah since you're gonna get Kid either way (a mistake imo) no reason to get Korcha and Razzly if you're doing your first playthrough.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Good game,not as good as Chrono Trigger but still good

God I loved that opening cinematic...

What was the start of all this?
    When did the cogs of fate begin to turn?
    Perhaps it is impossible to grasp that answer now,
    From Deep within the flow of time...

But for a certainty back then
    We loved so many,yet hated so much
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then we ran like the wind
    Whilst our laughter echoed
    Under cerulean skies...

:love::love::love:

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Vorark Savant

Vorark
    It's such a moody, melancholic game.

Show Spoiler
    The end of disc 1 is pure :negative:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    It is a terrible game with amazing music.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    you made the list, boy

• Rage Rage x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    Chrono Cross is great. Very atmospheric, melancholy, beautiful. It might not be a direct sequel per se to Chrono Trigger but it's still a very good game in its own right. One I definitely need to replay sometime.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Okagron Augur

Okagron
    I didn't care for it at first to the point of quitting. Then gave it another go a few years later and enjoyed it much more. Although, the story can get pretty damn convoluted and outright silly at certain points. My main issue with the game is the huge cast of characters, how the majority have hardly anything to do with the story or get any development. The soundtrack is fantastic though.

To me personally, Chrono Trigger is the better game, more tightly made and focused. Chrono Cross does have its share of merits.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Chrono cross was my first jrpg and i have huge nostalgia for it,but the game is just not good in anything compared to other jrpg's. Except the visuals and soundtrack.

-The combat is a easier,clunkier,slower version of any typical jrpg combat.
    -The story is a convulsed mess that uses info dumps at the last moment to explain anything.
    -The huge cast of characters are a missed opportunity,both story and game play wise.
    -It has the most amount of grinding seen in any jrpg ever if you want to actually grind.
    -The world is quite small and the alternative dimensions just means you are exploring mostly the same locations.
    -Pathetic amount of dual/triple tech for a chrono game.

I can go on,but there is no point.If you love the game,good for you.I am just disappointed in what the game could have been.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    chrono cross' plot is what happens when you give up making a sequel and start making a sequel to that sequel

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Solid Snail Educated

Solid Snail
    Just reached a part in which Lavos is referred to. I wonder how this connection will turn by going on with the game.
    Oh, a thing I'm hathing is the huge amount of "miss" even when I have 90% of accuracy, it's insane how much those characters miss in this game.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Btw for anybody wanting to grind,don't.

There are two ways to get level ups in this game:
    -After bosses you get stars which levels up all your characters.
    -After you get stars you have a chance to get small level ups for a limited amount of times. This means if you want to maximize our stats you have to get every single character you own in a couple of battles after you get a start.That is just insane and time consuming.

Just get stars only,it is more then enough and you will save hours of your life being wasted.

Also,did people know that the stat gain of characters are actually somewhat randomized,it is a interesting feature.But this also means you can get shafted if you want to maximize.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Are you attacking mostly with the third option?
    Cause the third option is prone to misses even if you have a high chance.That is why i always go for a safe 2 and then into 3 or another 2.

Also eagle eye is your friend.You can put it in a lv 1 slot,but ti will last for one turn,which is somewhat enough if you are just fighting generic mooks.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Vagiel Augur

Vagiel
    There is a difficulty hack that I intend to try when I do a play through. Anyone tried it? Its called times anguish.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    actually, I don't get this at all

why would you grind in Chrono Cross of all things

^ Top  
  23. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Because sometimes the stars stats rng screws you over with your favorite characters.All those small stats gain help you actually make our characters what you want(tank,mage,fighter).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. eric__s ass hater Developer

eric__s
    You know, I tell myself that I like Chrono Cross more, and I probably do, but it's been so long since I last played it that I can't actually remember why. When I get some free time to play some games, I'm going to give Chrono Cross a spin and see if it holds up as well as it did when I was a kid.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    but bro

just chill bro

its all going to work out

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)