Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities : Skylines

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Keshik, Aug 18, 2014.

1. MadMaxHellfire Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    Parrots:
    as far as i know, sim earth and sim life were the last and best of this kind.
    damn, what i'd give for a remaster...

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:

What about making a single player campaign within the game with characters, stories and events a la Dungeon Keeper? I've never seen that in a city builder if i am am not wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Parrots:
    I would rather see problem solving companies for this genre.

For example you get city which has fucked up budget and you can't really remove hospitals etc because people would throw tantrum. Or city that is placed on hills with very little space to build.

Good example of such thing was Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 campaign though it was much more about achieving growth rather than solve problem.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Anno has that. All its entries, if I am not mistaken.
    Each campaign level (or almost each) has some kind of situation to be solved.

The question is how many people actually want that from a game like Cities Skylines. I also usually get bored some time into a "session" because the game doesn't really give me any specific targets, challenges or goals - but I have no idea how many others feel that way.

^ Top  
  5. ortucis Prophet

ortucis
    Parrots:
    The only thing that defeats me in Skylines is.. water.

That's right. It's THE most annoying fucking thing ever in the whole game. Suddenly sewer water starts mixing up with regular, despite the stream going downhill and pipe being miles apart from water intake, cause the water intake sucks in whole river like a vacuum and the river dries up, somehow pushing sewer water upstream. Derp.

I got so bored and annoyed dealing with water stream, I just stopped playing. :P

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Parrots:
    The vanilla solution to this would be to use water towers. No mixing possible. With mods, you have countless different ways to solve this issue, either on the source or on the wastewater side. In my current "vanilla" city (as in "will load without workshop or mods"), I used a mod to place a water source (a misnomer, as it basically tries to clamp water levels to a certain value) in a valley on one of the vanilla maps and unceremoniously dump all waste water into it:

[​IMG]

But that's just one of many possible solutions.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Paradox is doing a survey about a city builder game: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ur-future-in-our-new-gameplay-survey.1119889/

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

Night Goat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    Bros we've been playing this game wrong.

• incline incline x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Parrots:
    Interesting concept, faggy voice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Drax Arcane

Drax
    Parrots:
    The Never-Ending DLC roadmap. Now: Industries!

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities...nt=post&utm_campaign=indu_cs_20181011_pla_ann

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. MadMaxHellfire Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    Parrots:
    was about time.
    too late for me, but perhaps there're still many people playing and enjoying it so to them an industries overhaul is going to be big.

on a side note, more than this i miss in the city builders the possibility to make small but self sufficient towns, which even don't look like ass.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Parrots:
    The toll booths are part of the free update by the way.

^ Top  
  13. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Parrots:
    They publish a dev diary plus a bite-sized tutorial video every day, usually in the hour after 3 pm CET.

The dev diaries have additional info. The system is very similar to the Parklife parks, just with production chains.

^ Top  
  14. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Wtf... you plop it down? Not growing up industries anymore?

^ Top  
  15. MadMaxHellfire Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    Parrots:
    one step forward, two steps back =_= growers, not showers, is what makes city builders feel alive.

^ Top  
  16. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Parrots:
    The part that's already in the game doesn't change. You can also get the raw materials from the standard grown special industries or buy imports (it would be interesting whether you have to pay for stuff from the zoned industry, like you do for imports). If you want to have fields that are 8x16 a piece, you have to plop them. The "generic" industry part is more or less unchanged, anyway.

The economics are somewhat different. This is basically "state sector". You build the stuff, don't get taxes, incur expenses. You try to make money from the end products. In other words, you manage your little state-owned companies.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    ^ Top  
  17. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Parrots:
    The last two videos:

The policies seem boring, and the less said about the maps the better. That's more or less a given though.

Let's hope those warehouses provide some buffers against those "not enough raw materials" situations.

Regarding the postal service, I like how he says "it's time to clog up the roads again..." Yeah. Probably lots of traffic for a happiness increase most cities don't need.

I once tried what you have to do to get the "Unpopular Mayor" achievement, because that one eluded me. You basically have to zone houses at the start of the game and not build any fire station, sewage outlets or anything else to get this. Once pretty much all houses have been wrecked by disease, fires and criminals, the achievement finally kicks in. It says all about the difficulty of the game that some of the hardest achievements are those where you really have to be inventive to fail at the game. I think the cake takes the one to unlock the court building, which needs you to keep up a certain crime rate over two years, which is rather difficult. You certainly don't play this game because of the challenge. Most people who fail, fail at traffic management. Of course, there's Natural Disasters, but those err on the "nearly impossible to survive" side of things.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Parrots:
    Finally, the Biffa video. He's usually concise and to the point, so a good opportunity to get an overview.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Parrots:
    The LGR review:

Also the last "tutorial" about the free stuff that's added:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Mark.L.Joy Learned

Mark.L.Joy
    Parrots:
    Anyone enjoyed this? Messing around with industrial areas and supply lines reminded me a bit of factorio, it makes me wait enough time that the rest of the city can grow without me getting bored maybe I'll finally mess with public transport.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)