Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cities : Skylines

Drax

Arcane
Yeah, pretty much.
I recommend playing with the mod that unlocks all terrain from the beginning, it's great fun to start by building a number of smaller settlements eventually joining to become a megalopolis.

Mazisky

Magister
Jesus i love this game:

Some quick pic of my little town:

Main Avenue with some commercials
2dbnnzm.jpg

Farm area maxed out, very high income

2irq3v4.jpg

Residential, low wealth, need time to level up
28kj81c.jpg

IT offices area
2ewlf5v.jpg

Leisure Area, restaurants and clubs
xbfksl.jpg

Suburb, the first zone i've made in the city so i decided to keep it without upgrading
25fr529.jpg

A huge park who cover half side of the city
oss8er.jpg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks nice, only problem it requires zero effort to achieve that... except designing it to look good.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
For those interested there is now a huge sale (70%) for the game aniversary, DLCs costs 3 Euros instead of 15.

Mazisky

Magister

Mazisky

Magister
After hours of playing i have a big concern about the game.

I feel that trying to make an efficient transport system (which is the main point of the game) is totally useless.

Let's say i've made a very good and efficient transport system to the point i've reduced car traffic from 90% to 10%. It's very good, right?

Now let's say i've made a crappy only-bus transport system where everyone is stuck in bus stops and every citizen have to wait entire weeks to go to destinations. I've still reduced car traffic from 90% to 10%.

So, why i should care at all? can someone clarify this to me?

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
You don't? Traffic isn't even a problem if all of it is concentrated on motorways and services have easy access within the city, you do it to make it look nice there is very little management.

Mazisky

Magister
hugely disappointed. I don't pretend huge management but i was pretty sure that long commute times would generate some malus instead of actually helping lel.

So, in 4 years and 250.000 mods, there's no one that increase the difficulty? And i mean something more creative than "stuff costs more". I did some research but i haven't found anything about.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Commute times matter only for industry/commerce and services. Buildings will get downgraded because of lack of import/export and stuff will burn down because firefighters couldn't get there fast enough etc. It never should happen in your residential areas, unless you have trucks going through them for some reason.

You can tweak Traffic Manager to your liking. Increasing realism (better lane switching, customizable lanes, non-magic parking etc.) can greatly change how difficult traffic management can be. For me the biggest change was turning off car despawn (in vanilla they will despawn after some time has passed if they haven't reached their destination). Now a small oversight can result in a traffic jam that literally goes as far as your eyes can see.

Mazisky

Magister
Commute times matter only for industry/commerce and services. Buildings will get downgraded because of lack of import/export and stuff will burn down because firefighters couldn't get there fast enough etc. It never should happen in your residential areas, unless you have trucks going through them for some reason.

So if my transport is shit and bus\metro stops are overcrowded it doesn't matter because traffic is reduced anyway and services are free to go. Basically a shit transport system make people not taking cars and this is all you need to do.
How the fuck there is no penality for long commute times? They could have made that long commute times reduce happiness or make them taking cars. This is bad design.

Mazisky

Magister
it does, commute is a requirement for residentials upgrade.

For upgrades it only calculates that you have a random transit for them, not how efficient it is. This means that it works by just creating the transit, no matter if it's good or not.

Angthoron

Arcane
it does, commute is a requirement for residentials upgrade.

For upgrades it only calculates that you have a random transit for them, not how efficient it is. This means that it works by just creating the transit, no matter if it's good or not.
Not exactly, it does take into account whether it's going somewhere where people want to go or not. However, efficiency of the system, nope. It's extremely cheesable by spamming the only profitable transit system in the game - subways. Drop those bad boys into your hood, connect them to places where people generally go, there ya go, lots of happy happy faces.

Turjan

Arcane
So, in 4 years and 250.000 mods, there's no one that increase the difficulty? And i mean something more creative than "stuff costs more". I did some research but i haven't found anything about.
The economic side of the game is basically fake. If you observe the game for a while, you will notice that it tends to gravitate to a nearly balanced budget with a slight surplus. You can observe real effects during short time frames and in very small cities, but this all goes away in somewhat larger cities and over longer time periods, where the game seems to pick a target number for your budget (target as in "absolute value") out of its posterior.

There's simply nothing to anchor any improvements on.

Turjan

Arcane
I might as well leave this here:

Released a week ago. Looks rather lazy.

I'm still somewhat salty about the last DLC, which basically only worked in a small city and needs mods to become mechanically bearable.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, I really don't get it, is having a university city really the thing that people have been asking for?

Turjan

Arcane
Well, yes, there were quite a few people asking for that, even if I wasn't among them. There is a certain vocal fanbase left now, which mostly consists of people who love this system of plopping and upgrading these park-like structures, as they have been used in the Parklife and Industries expansions. These people now dominate the discourse.

CO seems to have used the free patch that came on the DLC release date to fix some aspects of the education system, like having age brackets for school types, which should eliminate the "everyone is a university graduate" problem. Cims also have job titles and fixed workplaces now.

Nevertheless, I assume we are at the tail end of support. The core issues of the game regarding the economic simulation and the inability to have a somewhat more realistic population spread will never be addressed in this iteration of the series, which means we are basically stuck with expansions like that. I certainly had enough fun with the game, given the ungodly amount of time I wasted on this, but the only really interesting aspects were traffic, city painting and playing with mods.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Paradox registered domain cities2.com.

Probably announced at PDXCON next month.

Perkel

Arcane
Paradox registered domain cities2.com.

Probably announced at PDXCON next month.

Good, DLC method for Cities was fucking disaster. I bought base game and none of DLC were worth anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom