Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think Civ 5 was the time when I no longer associate 4X with Civ. And Civ 6 doesn't really help my impression. These days I prefer the Endless stuffs vs Civ/

Silva

Arcane
I agree, although with civilization the graphics are actually getting worse.
Everything after CIV3 is getting worse,it is a dumbing down.
I remember finding Civ3 a piece of shit at the time, coming from SMAC. It seems to rely too much on ICS*, even more than SMAC, to the point there wasn't any other way to play the game.

But maybe I judged it unfairly. How is it by today's standards? What I liked was the sober but pretty graphics, much better than the childish visuals these days.

*ICS = infinite city spam.

flyingjohn

Arcane

I would say i am disappointed ,but i just don't care about this series anymore.Plus console gamers have to shell over a 100 bucks to get the complete game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I agree, although with civilization the graphics are actually getting worse.
Everything after CIV3 is getting worse,it is a dumbing down.
I remember finding Civ3 a piece of shit at the time, coming from SMAC. It seems to rely too much on ICS*, even more than SMAC, to the point there wasn't any other way to play the game.

But maybe I judged it unfairly. How is it by today's standards? What I liked was the sober but pretty graphics, much better than the childish visuals these days.

*ICS = infinite city spam.

3 was by far the worst mess of them all.

2>4>1>6>5>3 is how i'd rate them.

Cael

Arcane
I recall Civ2 allowing you to basically bribe your way to victory, which, hilariously enough, made Democracy's crazy trade bonus that much more insane.

Modron

Arcane
Civ 4 really only needs Beyond the Sword expac, warlords was every bit as barebones as vanilla civ 4 and Colonization, while pretty cool, is more like a side story and gets all kinds of monotonous towards the end. When most people say 4 is great they really mean Beyond the Sword is great :D.

Perkel

Arcane
idk imho civilization focus should be on creating finely tuned cities and each of them should be completely different according where it was placed rather than plastering cities all over the place and terraform absolutely everything. I spend a lot of time playing 2 3 and 4 and i was always tired of cities spam.

Modern ones though makes retarded choices like whole leader animation thing.
Fuck that, give me personalized AIs like in Alpha Centauri with their own agendas.

Silva

Arcane
Any modern Civ with SMAC-like reasonable/role-playing AI? I mean, where you know the AI is coming for you because you're ideologically at odds or hindering their agenda, instead of the whole world ganging up on your ass because you've just hit 1st spot in the rank and the AI wants to "win" at all costs like some stupid boardgame?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Civ 6 has several agendas for the leaders, one always the same, the rest randomized. It kinda works to nudge the leaders / players into ideological groups, though the most visible effect is praise and denunciation spam.

Gerrard

Arcane
Shattered glass that is still full price after 3 years and 2 large DLCs, DLCs which together cost another 70 bucks, and also has the most concurrent players playing it out of any game in the series.
:badnews:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Shattered glass that is still full price after 3 years and 2 large DLCs, DLCs which together cost another 70 bucks, and also has the most concurrent players playing it out of any game in the series.
:badnews:
That concurrent numbers has always been misinterpreted.

Civ 3-4 were not released during steam and targeted different audiences so 5-6 will always have bigger numbers.
But if you look at a dedicated forum like civ fanatics and look at the modding and discussions ,you get a different picture.
3-4 are thriving and still getting new mods while 5 is barely alive(minus vox) and 6 is dead.
The only proper 6 total conversion has been put on hold because the author wants to play skyrim and other aaa games.

Simply put,it is not the same audience.

Last edited:

Azdul

Magister
When most people say 4 is great they really mean Beyond the Sword is great :D.
BtS incorporated one good feature: corporations, which somewhat alleviate the problem of clicking "end turn" for 100 turns towards the end.

But at this time there were already introducing features which were too hard for their AI: Apostolic Palace, spaceship parts and espionage.
It went downhill from there with Civ 5 and Civ 6.

Cael

Arcane
When most people say 4 is great they really mean Beyond the Sword is great :D.
BtS incorporated one good feature: corporations, which somewhat alleviate the problem of clicking "end turn" for 100 turns towards the end.

But at this time there were already introducing features which were too hard for their AI: Apostolic Palace, spaceship parts and espionage.
It went downhill from there with Civ 5 and Civ 6.
I never play with those win options. Conquest all the way because otherwise, you have a massive advantage over the AI.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Anyone have opinions on Civ6 with the expacs? I dropped 25-30hrs on the game at release but left with a bad taste. Civ4 wasn't good at release either, but the foundation was there for stuff like BtS; dunno if the foundation in Civ6 can be salvaged by comparison ... I'm just itching for a civ-like.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Anyone have opinions on Civ6 with the expacs? I dropped 25-30hrs on the game at release but left with a bad taste. Civ4 wasn't good at release either, but the foundation was there for stuff like BtS; dunno if the foundation in Civ6 can be salvaged by comparison ... I'm just itching for a civ-like.

The expansions vastly improve the game and it did get much better over time. Its biggest issue still remains though and that is the fact that AI cannot handle all the systems they implemented.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think the first expansion pack is not so great, the points collectathon is distracting and "gamey".

sser

Arcane
Developer

The expansions vastly improve the game and it did get much better over time. Its biggest issue still remains though and that is the fact that AI cannot handle all the systems they implemented.

AI's never been the best for what it's worth. How's Immortal/Deity difficulties? That's what I go for and at that level you're mostly just min-maxing as efficiently as you can while acknowledging AI will speed ahead for a bit regardless of how dumb it is.

I think the first expansion pack is not so great, the points collectathon is distracting and "gamey".

Natural disasters?

vonAchdorf

Arcane

Natural disasters?

No, the ages. You need to do certain things (from recruiting a great person to killing X units) to collect points necessary to reach a normal or golden age. Some of it happened naturally, but like the heurkas from the base game, it's often gamey or checking boxes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom