Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Azazel

Arbiter
Wales, with the abuse of Matrilineal Betrothals and a healthy dose of murder in the family to ensure lines of succession, can easily be choo-choo on the win train. By my second ruler I'd founded Wales, and by his granddaughter I'd secured Matrilineal heirs to both the Holy Roman Empire and all of England.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Wales, with the abuse of Matrilineal Betrothals and a healthy dose of murder in the family to ensure lines of succession, can easily be choo-choo on the win train. By my second ruler I'd founded Wales, and by his granddaughter I'd secured Matrilineal heirs to both the Holy Roman Empire and all of England.

Don't forget about their longbow retinues. Those things make life very easy.

Azazel

Arbiter
They also produce exceptionally long-lived rulers for some reason, I've had two of them live to nearly 90 and end up murdered in their bath by their heirs spouse after a long period of regency due to senility.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Got the Humble Bundle full DLC pack.
1500AD later... AI has the Diplomacy skill of a koi fish.
Gib gib gib gib gib gib gib gib was all they do.
They dare not declare war to great Venice Trade Empire.
But I got too bored to finish playing the game.
Probably one of the weakest part of the game from Vanilla till now.
I'm probably going to play more aggressive Civ if I want to get any sort of entertainment.

RK47

Patron
Civ? 1500AD? Was that supposed to be in the Civ5 thread?
whoops lol
Yeah I guess I compared it directly to CK2 a lot in my mind and I wondered why is it so boring despite being more faster paced. Lots and lots of building to build - units to move right from turn 1, yet I'm not really engaged during peacetime.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Hello everyone! So finally we address the Elephant in the room, specifically the War Elephant in the upcoming Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India expansion.

When making an expansion based on India we simply couldn't ignore the elephantry that they fielded. These giants will help your Indian rulers to conquer and stampede over any opposition you face, being the heaviest cavalry you can field in Crusader Kings 2. These beasts of war will be mostly available from retinues but there will also be cultural buildings that will produce them for you. They will only exist in very limited numbers compared to other troop types but will have a devastating effect on the battlefield during the melee phase. The Indian general that makes sure to use his unique set of tactics available for these units will without a doubt be victorious.

We also fixed so that the Arabic cultures can field their own camel warriors to face the heathens with.

Showing off their mighty War Elephant Retinues

The old troop type system was very limiting, not allowing for a lot of creativity, and we had nowhere to place the new war elephants in the user interface, it was already over-crowded with the other troop types. So what we did was remake the Horse Archer with a fully script-able troop type known as Special Troops. These now represent Horse Archers, Camel Warriors and the mighty War Elephants. It will be even possible to field Camel Warriors and War Elephants in the same army in your grand pan Arabic-Indian Empire if you so desire. The most important thing is that now modders can utilize this to make their mods even more diverse and interesting, allowing them to add troop types ranging from Wizards to gunpowder troops.

The breakdown of special troops, everything is quite similar to
before except for the numbering of the horse archers.

What is the actual difference for the modders from the previous system then? Well Korbah made an excellent diagram he posted on the beta forum which I am going to borrow from him.

Previously the troop types were hard-coded in place which gave very little option with what you could actually do with them. Each regiment always had six entries: Light Infantry, Heavy Infantry, Archers, Pikemen, Light Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry and Horse Archers. This meant an army would always consist of a composition of these troop types. The new system removes the Horse Archers and replaces it with the special troop type, meaning it can be anything and every regiment can have a different composition of troop types and still function as a unified army. The only limit on this is that a regiment can only have one special troop type, so one holding can not produce several different special troop types and mercenaries and retinues can only have one special troop type assigned to them.

With the India expansion the world grows immensely giving us a good opportunity to add some common tactical problems that commanders of the time faced. First we gave the Indian subcontinent the jungle terrain type which will harshly increase your attrition and defense bonuses. But the other problem is supplies, it won't be a simple task to just walk across all of Europe with every single soldier you started with alive. You will now have to combat starvation as you march far away from your home. This means that Norse Vikings armies will have starved to death before even reaching India.

How it works is that while you are nearby your realm or your top-liege's realm your soldiers will fill up on supplies to keep themselves fed. These supplies will always last for 31 days. When they step too far away into neutral territory they will start to starve for supplies and have a ticking attrition that goes up slowly for each day. A good martial leader can of course counter-act it to a certain point. When you do finally reach the enemy territory, the troops will start foraging from their surrounding area to keep themselves supplied. The foraging builds on the pillaging from the loot bar except it goes a lot slower. When the soldiers can't take more from the loot bar they will start to starve again in 31 days. This will balance the rulers of Europe to invade their neighbors instead of happily jump over the Egypt and start carving their piece of India. Instead they will have to put a bit effort into it if they want to actually reach India.

So yes we will see a Norse India eventually, but it will be quite an achievement.

There has been some big issues with what people have dubbed "North Korea Mode", making the game way too easy to play and removing the entire feudal point of the game. So we have made playing this way a lot less rewarding by reducing the amount of levies and income they actually get from doing this. It is of course still completely possible to play like this if you still want to, but you will be a bankrupt France with only 400 troops while the strong HRE will be raising a lot more troops than that. Small counts and dukes who go over their demense limit just a little bit will be a bit penalized but not to the same degree.
YUSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Supply! Starvation!

Shadenuat

Arcane
Supply! Starvation!
What about boats? As are now they are safest way to move around, like cruise ships

Also what about crusades? How will I reach Jerusalem with my englishmen? They won't live on holy spirit alone

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I'm not sure I'll like the supply/starvation mechanics. Coupled with morale that has to build up (and is reduced to 50% when disembarking), I think it will make conquest much more tedious. That can potentially be a good thing, as it will make it more challenging to paint the map in one color, but I hope it won't affect sieges too much.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Sounds good.
Even more reason to make a 30 martial god of war.
It's still inferior to diplomatic leader. Dip is by far still will be the most powerful of traits - 80% of the most shity events solved without any negative effects.

Nope. Only need 10 (or 11?) diplo to avoid events. Everything past that is basically irrelevant.
A 20+ diplomacy can work wonders in avoiding civil war when you're ruling an empire. Plus, there is the risk of injury/death in warfare, so I prefer to not have my ruler lead in battle if possible.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
A 20+ diplomacy can work wonders in avoiding civil war when you're ruling an empire. Plus, there is the risk of injury/death in warfare, so I prefer to not have my ruler lead in battle if possible.
That's what numerous bastards and products of a tasteful rape for. Sometimes you can breeed a 15-20 wroth-filled tactical genius from one of your useless sons.

Brinko

Arcane
I never send them in to battle because death seems to never happen but my leader always shit's his pants and becomes craven. Every fucking time, even when not leading an army a big battle happens and hello cowardice.

Sounds good.
It's still inferior to diplomatic leader. Dip is by far still will be the most powerful of traits - 80% of the most shity events solved without any negative effects.

Nope. Only need 10 (or 11?) diplo to avoid events. Everything past that is basically irrelevant.

Not really. The opinion bonus is really low. Traits are far more effective. Do you want +5 opinion bonus or +50% levies from your demense and +100% performance of your entire army in battle? Because that's 20 dip 10 martial vs. 10 dip 20 martial.

Though if you are the empire stage where literally nothing in the game can hurt you then it doesn't really matter what you do.

inb4 the "what do you think you are doing, playing a game?" brigade shows up.

Last edited:

Grinolf

Arcane
Also what about crusades? How will I reach Jerusalem with my englishmen? They won't live on holy spirit alone
Crusades aren't known for their great logistic and organisation. But I guess, attrition could be reduces for crusaders in the christian provinces and increased in the muslim ones. Still crusaders should suffer casualities even in Europe.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

I think I now understand the back cover to The Geese and the Ghost by Anthony Phillips (the original Genesis guitarist)...

geese2.jpg

RK47

Patron
Sounds good.

Not really.

Yes really, hire mercs with good leaders fed by feudal taxes and all that large demesne afforded by Diplomacy.
And have your useless sons trained by your Brilliant Tacticians. And matri-marry your daughters to better officers.
There's no good reason to keep a liege on the front line unless if you want him die and quickly transfer leadership to a better ruler / unite two divided kingdoms into one.
The martial pays off for increased levies, but that can be counter-acted by high diploma affording better opinions - leading to easier revocations, and intrigue options. (I like you, milord, I will help make his carriage explode!)

Martial pays off when you're a count/duke trying to usurp a weak king in Old Gods start.
I had 14 Martial and that's sufficient. You usually get Zealous from Holy Pilgrimage - which is good. It's never bad. And never ever lose it.
I had a Brilliant Tactician wife and got a 22 Marshall (daughter married him) managed to raise 1.5k from a single castle + church I revoked.
Take money from the Jews, merc up and that's 3,000 troops. Wait for the liege to do something stupid (Karlings always do) and before long, you should be able to press ducal claims, then demand Elective and eventually it'll happen.

ck2%202014-02-25%2021-59-18-82.jpg

The political AI will still be shit.
That's a sad fact.
But the army supply gives me hope that there's something to stop uber blobs from just slowly consuming everything in its path.
That's a free DLC patch right?
So I still see no reason to buy it for Rapedia gameplay.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It's a DLC but they may include supply in a patch like they did before.
I just hope they will fix broken archers. With pure archer retinue you can storm ANY castle almost without casualties. 5000-8000 archer-only retinue raider forces could pillage several thousand gold in no time.
1. Land in targer province
2. Wait ~5 days and storm the castle
3. Land back with all the loot.
Archers alone render all defences useless due to skirmish being taken in account in storimg the castle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom