Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
They have a 24 page thread that discusses (or probably rant) on why North Korea mode is too good and needs 'fixing' in PDX forum.
I heard paradox put that to rest but refused to understand the unrewarding aspect of Feudalism - like as in giving proper duchies instead of ruling over a dozen counts.
You literally lost a lot of levies as result of this - it is a non factor once you're up up and away with 10k retinues, but it's huge when you play an upstart king with just 4 counties under you.

Later on, the reason why I'd give away Duchy is out of boredom and simply convenience that I can have 1 content ruler over 4 counties instead of hitting that invite holy man button 20 times just to hope for 4 good eggs to come out off the RNG.

And hey while I'm at it here's a gem of a quote from the Paradox forum when some people chose to deal with 'a few quirky game aspect that made the game kinda easy' e.g: archer retinue.
It's not broken you just need to exercise some self-control.
sochibear5.png

Yeah, archers used for storming castles makes literally no sense. If anything archers & other skirmishes should reduce the siege period while the storming itself is a melee battle. Having a huge hunk of stone to protect you from arrows is kind of the point of castles.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah it was a bit surprising for me to find bethesda-thinkers amongst paradox lovers. "I'm playing with both hands tied behind my back and game is fine". Sure it's a lot of fun to LARP in this game, choosing different rules or scenarios for yourself, doing what your country or rulers actually did IRL, and anybody should play game the way they want. But leave that behind when discussing broken game mechanics please.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Archers are exploitable not only because they crack castles in days, but they also deal tremendous skirmish damage that renders even the strongest armies devastated. I had 17k archer retinue and smashed two combined holy order armies each worth 6 or 7 k of troops filled with heavy cavalry. With 10 or so martial leaders. That's like Agincourt every battle.

RK47

Patron
Archers are exploitable not only because they crack castles in days, but they also deal tremendous skirmish damage that renders even the strongest armies devastated. I had 17k archer retinue and smashed two combined holy order armies each worth 6 or 7 k of troops filled with heavy cavalry. With 10 or so martial leaders. That's like Agincourt every battle.

Cavalry isn't the counter to Archer retinues.
Heavy Infantry is. :M
I would say the solution to making archers harder to rely on is to make them slower on the march and even weaker in the open after the first volley. Think about it: The reason why these guys kick ass is due to first strike.
Much like Heroes of Might and Magic, as long as the most of the army ended up intact after suffering the first artillery barrage - your victory is almost assured.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
HI already have been a counter to skirmish stage mostly due to super effective tactics. People used them to counter HA mongol hordes. but they suffer heavily in sieges. With archers you could lay wase on castles and armies and when mongols are about to arrive- shift to HI.
PLUS. Archers are cheap and numerous and their numbers count towards "Liege forces", which is the main factor in facton uprisings. So with HI you can beat rebels, with archers - they won't rebel.

RK47

Patron
As for liege forces, Paradox only needs to add the non retarded option to have weighted numbers for the purpose of that 'revolt' numbers. Heavy Cavalry scaled to 1:1 while others are considered .25, .50 so on per unit. I mean, which is army more intimidating, an archer or a heavily armored cavalry?
It is no surprise that the Byzantine Cultural Retinue which combined Cavary and Archers together is sort of usable and is a crowd favorite.

u5ax.jpg

Let's not talk about the Longbow retinues. :lol:

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
Don't you guys just hate Empire system?
I mean, it gets too easy, I want to discuss this in Paradox forum and here's what I got:
wha.png

:gumpyhead:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
HRE is rather fun because of its location - surrounded by shitload of competitors. If you create, for example, Russia - especially paganist Russia - it's an overkill. You can raid and pillage and surrounded by retarded primitive nomads, who pose no threat military-wise. The only threat you face is the rebellions as eastern kingdoms(like Ruthenia) are very big and two kings in a faction can easlity accumulate 30%+ of liege's forces.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India - Dev Diary 5 - Free Features #1

Once more Tuesday is upon us and it is time to unleash some more facts aboutRajas of Indiaupon your unsuspecting minds. This time, I thought I'd go through some of the major features we're adding in the free part of the expansion, i.e. patch 2.1.
attachment.php

First up, I think you might be interested in the parts of the new map that are actually outside India; the regions of Afghanistan, Transoxiana and Siberia. Part of my reason for wanting to extend the map to the east was to get these areas into the game. If you consider the old edge of the map, you might have noticed that many counties are truncated, or in the wrong place. Places like Balkh and Samarkand were deemed important enough to be on the old map even though they are in reality located off the eastern edge. This is perhaps most obvious around the Urals, where we even have an "Omsk" province. With the new map, these provinces could finally be put in the right place. Of course, we still needed to add a lot of new counties as well, which meant we also needed some more cultures. Thus, we now have this situation:
  • The Cumans are intrinsically more powerful
  • There is a Kirghiz state to their east, with its own culture
  • There is Karluk (new culture) state south of Lake Balkhash
  • There is a Khanty (new culture) realm north of the Cumans
  • The whole region of Afghanistan, with new Afghan and Baluch cultures
  • More counties in Khorasan / Greater Persia
Tibet, the Tarim basin and the Altai mountains are visible on the map, but we decided not to add any provinces to those regions.
attachment.php

There are changes to theoldparts of the map as well. We had to trim the western edge slightly to get the map dimensions right, and there are many changes to province borders and positions in the Middle East, the steppes and the far North East. We have even added some new counties, like Lori in Armenia. The most dramatic change is, however, in East Africa. We decided to take this opportunity to make East Africa more interesting, so we added Nubian culture and completely revised all the provinces south of Egypt and added about a dozen more. This allowed us to add the fascinating Jewish state of Semien (a.k.a. Beta Israel) to Abyssinia.
attachment.php

Right, that's enough about the map I think, I'll just let the screenies speak for themselves. A related thing we've done is to allow ports and ship movement in completely separate oceans; a feature that has been much requested. The AI now understands how to handle this, which was always the biggest hurdle. So you can now have a Buddhist merchant republic in the Maldives and build trade posts all the way to the Suez, etc.

As usual, we've also spent a lot of effort improving the base game. I'll cover a couple of the changes today, and the rest next Tuesday. Now, one of the most drastic improvements we have made is to faction revolts. No more will the revolters be mere allies in a war against their liege; they will now be temporary vassals of the faction leader in a proper civil war. In other words, you will be fighting these wars against a more unified and powerful enemy (or fight as them, of course.) Naturally, these rebel lieges will be very limited in their diplomacy and plotting until the war is over.
attachment.php

The AI has received another round of improvements, most notably in how it moves, raises and dismisses armies, but also when and why it revokes titles off vassals (it tended to create a lot of unnecessary internal strife while still failing to maintain reasonable internal de jure borders.)

One little thing that's always annoyed me is that you can't easily go to a dead character's killer, so we now show a red skull on characters who have a known killer. You can simply click the skull to go to the killer.

Lastly for today, we decided to add a new tab to the character view, called "Relations". The main reason was to add Rivals and Friends (a very underused concept in the game), but it also allows us to show Lovers, etc.
attachment.php

That's all for today! If you can't wait for the upcoming dev diaries, tune in to my livestream at 20:00 CET.
smile.gif

attachment.php
Navigable Indian ocean (not much of a news now) :incline:
Faction wars being less of a clusterfuck :incline:
Friends and Rivals from CK1 (hope there are some corresponding events as well tho) :incline:
Knowing who actually offed your genius heir for proper retribution? :incline:
Mah Jewniggers :love:

Dat western map border :decline:
Stop teasing with the decadence rework Paradox. :decline:

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They'd better fix their attention on balancing the attributes. Dip and Ste are completely overshadow everything else and Learning is still complete shit.

Wonder how these faction revolts will work if a Duke is faction leader and a King joins in. I smell delicious exploits fun creeping in.

Let's not talk about the Longbow retinues. :lol:

Funny you should mention that. Longbow is kind of crap because you still want at least 40% non-archers to prevent being charged on day 3. The best Skirmish-focused retinue is... Ethiopian Skirmishers + Skirmish retinue. Because Skirmish is in the name.

Do put englishmen in charge of them, of course.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Wheee rivalries and friends. Also, I wonder if Khanty will have Suomenusko or Tengri as their religion.

I also like that faction wars no longer create separate mini-states. It was way too easy to do rapid fire landgrabs on those.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I also like that faction wars no longer create separate mini-states. It was way too easy to do rapid fire landgrabs on those.
I kind of liked the mini-states, since it made it easier to whittle away at the HRE. In fact, the main reason I was able to press my claim to the Byzantine throne when playing as Hispania was because the emperor was fighting off an existing civil war.

While I believe this will make the game for fair for the AI, I feel like Paradox is removing my favorite expansion strategies, one by one (ex. raising levy does not start with maximum morale, amphibious landings have combat and morale penalty, holy wars can't be declared on faraway lands). I feel like the 10 year truce being removed after a leader dies is the next thing to go. Yes, I know all these examples can be counted as cheese tactics, but half the fun was in discovering them (the other half was painting the map).

Still, I'm up for a new challenge, especially if they add more character interaction.

Vaarna_Aarne

Personally I think in HRE they should finally create an all-new set of mechanics for it (it needs to be much more loose, so it doesn't end up solely composed of Germans and as the grand central blob). And while at it, do something about the way Karlings keep surviving.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Personally I think in HRE they should finally create an all-new set of mechanics for it (it needs to be much more loose, so it doesn't end up solely composed of Germans and as the grand central blob). And while at it, do something about the way Karlings keep surviving.

I am going to disagree. What the HRE needs isn't special mechanics to make it more loose (after all for parts of the period it was much more coherent, and things could have gone differently, leading to a much more powerful and central monarch there), what is needed is a massive change to crown authority. It shouldn't just be low/med/high, it should be lots of little laws that add up to being those and it should be difficult to move up the ladder, especially in multicultural kingdoms/empires.

The Karlings are a problem though (mostly just because they gangbang everyone who tries to supplant them in TOG start). No idea what to do there.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'd say in general dynasty should be tied more strongly to ethnicity, so Karlings are some Frankish minority nobody likes, especially not Germans and Italians. You know, an additional penalty for the dynasty itself being inherently foreign.

As for new CA changes, I agree that it definately needs more work and multicultural kingdoms and empires need to be an actual thing. There should probably be a specific set of laws for this thing, and religious diversity as well; though that one could serve as a double set with one for central authority protecting the many religions of the empire as the highest rating and the other for a monolithic symbiosis of monarch and religious power like in most Christian feudal states.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I'd say in general dynasty should be tied more strongly to ethnicity, so Karlings are some Frankish minority nobody likes, especially not Germans and Italians. You know, an additional penalty for the dynasty itself being inherently foreign.
This. I've had a game where I started with Navarra and got an Italian heir, so for the next four generations my rulers were Italians ruling Basques. I know I could have assigned a Basque guardian, but preferred to have my current ruler as their guardian (better stats and traits, and ability to choose the outcomes for those tutoring events). The only way I broke the circle was a ruler who decided to convert to the culture of his subjects.

It doesn't have to be hard-coded, just a percentage of inheriting the dynasty's culture. This creates the problem of whether to have a static dynasty culture or to be able to change it under certain conditions (which I would prefer).

Vaarna_Aarne

This. I've had a game where I started with Navarra and got an Italian heir, so for the next four generations my rulers were Italians ruling Basques. I know I could have assigned a Basque guardian, but preferred to have my current ruler as their guardian (better stats and traits, and ability to choose the outcomes for those tutoring events). The only way I broke the circle was a ruler who decided to convert to the culture of his subjects.

It doesn't have to be hard-coded, just a percentage of inheriting the dynasty's culture. This creates the problem of whether to have a static dynasty culture or to be able to change it under certain conditions (which I would prefer).
It really should be that outside of the area where big tribal migrations still happened (basically all the wild lands east of Grosse Kartoffeln), converting cultures should be REALLY hard, so you'd end up with a multicultural empire if, say, France adds Catalonia and Castille to its holdings. And asserting cultural dominance in such a case SHOULD be extremely hard.

And regarding this and dynasties, I'd say it should be that dynasties should always count as the culture of their dynasty head, which should lead to trouble with non-dynasty head culture subjects. The option to deal with this of course would be to break off as a cadet branch, which would remove your access to family-wide Karling gangrape defensive strategy, but pacify your subjects.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Last edited:

anus_pounder

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom