Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Yeah, it's turn-based, you just get to decide how fast turns change. Most players just play it with the fastest speed and pause it whenever they need to do something. (except in multiplayer)

...So the game plays out in simulated real time... but you can pause it whenever you want.

Renegen

Arcane
So my char got assasinated, and I don't get a casus belli against the fucker that did it? WHY?!!?!?!?!?

happened to me twice (father and son), and no casus belli.
Actually sometimes you can ask your Liege for a casus belli, I think it's just a random event. When you're king, you sometimes get people asking how to resolve a dispute and you can give them a claim.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For fuck's sake what's it with people claiming this is turn based when it's clearly RtwP. Yeah it's RtwP with clearly identifiable "turns" or, better said, "time units", but it's still real time because nobody is taking turns, everything happens simultaneously.
It's like saying Total War battles are turn based, you can press pause every second and each second is a turn.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Lol, while sieging I just had 35 enemy troops spawn in the province, who then instantly defeated my 500 man strong siege army. :lol:
How the fuck could they have missed all these bugs?

that has happened to me too, but with a force of 300 instadefeating a force of 1000.

Lulz. Levies spawning in an occupied is a bad idea imo.

Also, did I miss "rape and pillage this province" option or just there isn't one?

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
For fuck's sake what's it with people claiming this is turn based when it's clearly RtwP. Yeah it's RtwP with clearly identifiable "turns" or, better said, "time units", but it's still real time because nobody is taking turns, everything happens simultaneously.
It's like saying Total War battles are turn based, you can press pause every second and each second is a turn.
There's a mechanical difference. Every day is a decision making round, every second of Total War battle is not.

What you're really pointing out is that turns are taking concurrently rather than consecutively between players. Concurrent turns are still turns.

Raapys

Arcane
There's a mechanical difference. Every day is a decision making round, every second of Total War battle is not.
Uh, yes it is. Every single second( or to be precise, every few milliseconds) something changes in a TW battle, something that you can act and make a decision upon. Every single day, something changes in CK. It's exactly the same concept. Only difference is the intervals between change.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Constant rebellions get boring after some time. I took the kingdom of Poland for myself but since then my duke vassals revolt every five years. I imprison them, take their titles and give them away to new assholes that willl revolt in few year time. Rinse and repeat.

Somehow I think that having low crown authority actually helps with this as they at least get busy killing each other instead of rebelling against me...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
For strategy games it can be a benefit. Some provinces for example are fast to traverse, while others slow. Some tanks move fast, or planes move 10x as fast, or an infantry is bogged down in a swamp. A Turn based game wouldn't have been able to capture things the same, and thus this type of Grand Strategy might never have seen the day.
Movement points don't accomplish the same effect?

Renegen

Arcane
For strategy games it can be a benefit. Some provinces for example are fast to traverse, while others slow. Some tanks move fast, or planes move 10x as fast, or an infantry is bogged down in a swamp. A Turn based game wouldn't have been able to capture things the same, and thus this type of Grand Strategy might never have seen the day.
Well so far, where ever you had movements points and turn based strategy, you had a more simple movement system that resembled a board game. By going realtime, you can increase the complexity of movement versus having to weigh every single turn how to use up the movement you have, on every unit.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Uh, yes it is. Every single second( or to be precise, every few milliseconds) something changes in a TW battle, something that you can act and make a decision upon. Every single day, something changes in CK. It's exactly the same concept. Only difference is the intervals between change.
You're totally missing the point. The mechanics are different. They're programmed differently.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Not really. For example, in a paradox game, you never know exactly how long a battle is going to last, so you can't be sure if your reinforcements will get there in time to affect the outcome. In a turn based game with movement points, the reinforcements either have enough movement points to reach the battle, or they don't, and you know this before you commit them to the battle.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Spectacle, I think you're using a wrong example there, because the only relevant factor there it's the randomness of the combat, not the way movement's handled. You always know when your army it's going to arrive to X province (in 4 days, aka 4 movement points) but you don't know when the battle it's gonna finish, it could last days or it could last weeks but your reinforcements are going to arrive at the same time.

About the topic, I have little to add, design decision, the rules that are being applied are just an abstraction of turn based rules, just replace turns by days, but it would take a shitload of time making every move turn by turne hence why it's a Real Time game but with obvious Turn Based rules.

Raapys

Arcane
You're totally missing the point. The mechanics are different. They're programmed differently.
No, I'm not missing the point, because there's no point to miss. Every game has a game clock in which it updates stuff( be it AI, physics, pathfinding, logic checks, etc.) at specific intervals. Same with CK2. The clock just ticks much slower, and it has a separate clock for the flow of the game not related to the other engine stuff. In a true turn-based game, those gameplay ticks don't happen without the player's input. In a real-time game the ticks do happen without the player's input. Thus, CK2 is the latter, but with a pause function.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Alright, let's just it say it plainly. If you don't have a specific function to manually end your turn, and if you don't have unlimited time during that turn to make all your choices without fear of anything else happening, then it's not turn based. There.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
They're being politically correct :M
Though it is rather risque in other parts considering Paradox's usually PC (secretly nazi) tendencies. Since this time for example female rulers suffer major penalties. On the other hand, I think one of the ways you can get homosexual trait is one of the most unintentionally hilarious events ever. Basically, after a tournament the monarch decides that from now on its bros before hos fo lyfe/literally catches the gay.

Alright, let's just it say it plainly. If you don't have a specific function to manually end your turn, and if you don't have unlimited time during that turn to make all your choices without fear of anything else happening, then it's not turn based. There.
I'm fine with that... it's still better than any other strategy developer/series out there now bar none.

EmoBunny

Savant
Except you can pause the game and do as much as you want while it's paused without fear of something happening...

Renegen

Arcane
Bug of the day: The Duke of Aquitaine AI grows ridiculously powerful to encompass 5 duchies and controls 60% of France. Instead of challenging for the Crown of France, he decides to go for Indepence. Well he got it, and a few years later Aquitaine is divided into 5 duchies among his 5 sons.

oje1pj.jpg

Playing as Duke of Savoie now, trying to create Burgundy so this could be good for me.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not really a bug innit? Just a unwise decision.

Renegen

Arcane
Given that he had Gavelkind succession, it's pretty stupid for the AI ruler to pursue independence because then his power would be stripped to 1 duchy. His only chance at retaining power was to become king, and either benefit from the primogenital rule or just from being on top and half of the duchies of France ruled by your dynasty. Now his dynasty is just fish food.

Tigranes

Arcane
He might have hoped to change succession laws by gaining higher crown authority. Then arguably having a manageable, consolidated kingdom is no worse than making a grab for all of France - after all, it's not like there aren't historical rpecedents of desires for such splits/secessions.

It's not a bug, and it's arguably silly for the AI to make optimal decisions all the time.

Renegen

Arcane
Hmm, true. Forgot about the crown authority since he was independent, (also isn't it only possible to move crown authority once per reign? and everyone has to approve succession laws). Still, having such a power base would've been smarter within France, I found it quite weird.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom