Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Higher Game

Arcane
I lately found out just how awesome diplomacy is for dukes, not just the imperial scale. Dukes with high diplomacy gain the relative most gold from inviting rich old courtiers. It's a better wealth generator than stewardship except for counts, who are usually not counts for long. Stewardship looks best for certain religions that are seen as infidels everywhere, and struggle to find courtiers willing to work for them.

Heh. :lol:

Higher Game

Arcane
Just now found out how powerful claim forging can be, when your young king stacks up 4-5 claims against an enemy ruler's personal demesne. Taking a demesne county away from a ruler is like taking a whole duchy. Taking many of them at once can kneecap his kingdom for generations. This is the best first blood of conquest, before any claimant wars are pressed.

It all depends on your views of how appropriate exclaves are.

Üstad

Arcane
The current form of the game doesn't satisfy my autism, it mainly targets the "omg you guisee glitterhoof xDD" type of zoomers. Also my english will bleed your eyes, don't read if you don't want to be despaired.

Ck3 needs to have:

1)More defined religions. Basically they need to implement pure autism laws from middle age catholic europe for example.

2)Map information should be a thing. Pre Lothbrok Scandis were barely know (if they knew at all) outside of their geography. Geography should be learned and able to lose the knowledge if the leaders are retarded and isolated enough.

3)Non Cartoonistic type of feudalism. Why in the world every european or indian have the same system. The system should be micro tweaked. Where are the byzantine system where military governor and civic governor is different? Where is Andalusian muslim type of feudalism, where they both of their feudal troops also let tribals exist on purpose so they could have barbaric hard hitting troops? Where is Abbasid Caliphate purposely inviting Turk nomads to use them as hard hitting army? Where is Mamluke system where the guy who gets up earlier makes coup d'etat where dynastic persistence almost non existent. And why every feudal has same type of levies?

4)Armies shouldnt make on-site replenishment(?) this is not french republican army. Please stop this.

5)Both fear and respect-like system should be existent. And characters respond according to their personalities. Brave and resourceful person should be first to say fuck you to tyranny. It shouldnt be tied to events.

6)Personalities should affect more. There should be people don't give a shit about dynastic gain only think about themselves, there should be people only care about the common good of the state etc. There are traits like this, but because of their personalities only tied to certain events it doesn't fleshed out enough. For example we should be tied to our personalities this way it would be more realistic. For example if I'm a monarch with shit traits, I should be decentralise the state or give the chancellor more authority but with a drawback, they can take the power themselves entirely which represents a realistic dilemma.

7)Sucession system should be micro tweaked. Like who will take the throne if I run out of sons, should it be spouse, should it be the creepy uncle, should the elections held while the monarch lives (not sure about that one) etc. It shouldn't be one fixed system.

8)The game should interacts with our choices more. For example if I reward the vassals who conquer lands, more vassals should be encouraged make conquests. Or if I'm a nepotistic monarch who doesn't value meritocracy vassals with great value should seek a way to remove us. It shouldn't be just 'faction for being independent' it should be an attempt to take the throne and other vassals due to personal reasons or seeking the good of the state should support them.

9)Civilizations and progress should be realistic. I shouldnt able to make newly emerged middle of nowhere capital of progress in 50 years just because I built school for technology pointz xD. I should be able to behave like a enemy of progress or true protector of intellectual freedom which would make zealots my enemy, leads to possible uprisings etc. City states, counties, dukes or whatever the fancy title havers should be rival against each other to have the best university if they have appropriate personality for it just like in irl HRE. Whereas more centralised France had less universities both by quantity. See how interactive it is? It just works.

10) Revising the diplomacy. 3 buttons is not sufficient, it's just outright insulting. Also if our diplomacy and wits sufficient enough let us make the peace deal longer or able to change our details of the peace (like which region to give, which son to take hostage as etc.) Only literal retards in the game should be able to only settle the peace with 3 different choices.

11)Roads. Where are the roads at? This is not ancap simulator.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
The current form of the game doesn't satisfy my autism, it mainly targets the "omg you guisee glitterhoof xDD" type of zoomers. Also my english will bleed your eyes, don't read if you don't want to be despaired.

Ck3 needs to have:

1)More defined religions. Basically they need to implement pure autism laws from middle age catholic europe for example.

2)Map information should be a thing. Pre Lothbrok Scandis were barely know (if they knew at all) outside of their geography. Geography should be learned and able to lose the knowledge if the leaders are retarded and isolated enough.

3)Non Cartoonistic type of feudalism. Why in the world every european or indian have the same system. The system should be micro tweaked. Where are the byzantine system where military governor and civic governor is different? Where is Andalusian muslim type of feudalism, where they both of their feudal troops also let tribals exist on purpose so they could have barbaric hard hitting troops? Where is Abbasid Caliphate purposely inviting Turk nomads to use them as hard hitting army? Where is Mamluke system where the guy who gets up earlier makes coup d'etat where dynastic persistence almost non existent. And why every feudal has same type of levies?

4)Armies shouldnt make on-site replenishment(?) this is not french republican army. Please stop this.

5)Both fear and respect-like system should be existent. And characters respond according to their personalities. Brave and resourceful person should be first to say fuck you to tyranny. It shouldnt be tied to events.

6)Personalities should affect more. There should be people don't give a shit about dynastic gain only think about themselves, there should be people only care about the common good of the state etc. There are traits like this, but because of their personalities only tied to certain events it doesn't fleshed out enough. For example we should be tied to our personalities this way it would be more realistic. For example if I'm a monarch with shit traits, I should be decentralise the state or give the chancellor more authority but with a drawback, they can take the power themselves entirely which represents a realistic dilemma.

7)Sucession system should be micro tweaked. Like who will take the throne if I run out of sons, should it be spouse, should it be the creepy uncle, should the elections held while the monarch lives (not sure about that one) etc. It shouldn't be one fixed system.

8)The game should interacts with our choices more. For example if I reward the vassals who conquer lands, more vassals should be encouraged make conquests. Or if I'm a nepotistic monarch who doesn't value meritocracy vassals with great value should seek a way to remove us. It shouldn't be just 'faction for being independent' it should be an attempt to take the throne and other vassals due to personal reasons or seeking the good of the state should support them.

9)Civilizations and progress should be realistic. I shouldnt able to make newly emerged middle of nowhere capital of progress in 50 years just because I built school for technology pointz xD. I should be able to behave like a enemy of progress or true protector of intellectual freedom which would make zealots my enemy, leads to possible uprisings etc. City states, counties, dukes or whatever the fancy title havers should be rival against each other to have the best university if they have appropriate personality for it just like in irl HRE. Whereas more centralised France had less universities both by quantity. See how interactive it is? It just works.

10) Revising the diplomacy. 3 buttons is not sufficient, it's just outright insulting. Also if our diplomacy and wits sufficient enough let us make the peace deal longer or able to change our details of the peace (like which region to give, which son to take hostage as etc.) Only literal retards in the game should be able to only settle the peace with 3 different choices.

11)Roads. Where are the roads at? This is not ancap simulator.

Despite the bad english (don't worry), I liked all your suggestions.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Now that's something I would play. I would only give donations though, don't really have the time to help with modding.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Absolutely this. Let's say the king died without sons in an agnatic succession law.

Who will inherit? His 80 year old spouse who can be expected to die within a year anyway? His eldest brother? His daughter who technically shouldn't be able to inherit because it's an agnatic system?

Well, since nobody is entirely sure who should inherit, there'll be a succession war, with vassals joining whichever candidate they prefer!

That would spice up successions even more.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Spouse would inherit the throne only if him had powerful army on himself and there were no nobles willing to pull John Bruce on his ass, daughters and their off spring were not allowed to inherit in Salic (Absolute Agnatic) law so I guess it should be one of Father side uncles. Of course in such situation it was the top feudal vassals who were choosing and if they thought Robertian was better candidate than Carolingian the crown was transferred without much fuss. The right for monarch to sit on throne because he was son or grandson of King was not enshrined until early modern age (Not Medieval times) and the Divine Rights of Kings nonsense.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Maybe they can make it so crusades aren't so annoying to fight against. Constantly fighting crusades as Pagan every 30 years against all of Christendom and their 5 holy orders isn't fun.
I'd prefer it if it were every 100 years, or once per pope or something. Or if you can make a peace treaty with him to get off your faith's ass. Like, the only reason why I'm preying on Christian lands is to get enough money to buy mercenaries to hold off their crusades.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The game is not historically accurate. If it were, then the crusades would be set to only be declared in 1095, territorial ownership would strictly follow history, paganism could not be reformed, there would be no supernatural events, catholic heresies would actually be prevalent, you'd be able to execute traitors without suffering from that stupid opinion penalty, and 99% of rulers would not act like complete suicidal retards who turn everything they touch into shit.
Forcing players down a specific path and calling it historical is shit design.
Also, you'd think they'd get tired of crusades after doing it every 30 years. It's a really odd cool down period.

The warscore system in general could use some work. Defending against crusades are awful because:
- Battles generate very low WS except in complete doomstack vs. doomstack scenarios, especially when there's a hundred different rulers on one side and you only wipe a small portion per battles.
- Ticking WS from holding the war goal is very slow.
- Ticking WS from holding the war goal defensively requires you to hold 100%, which will drive you crazy if you are a large kingdom on the Med. With an endless stream of 3-5k stacks coming in its very hard not to keep every occupation off while defending something like Egypt.
- The AI is never willing to end the war until you get 100%.

Most of these points negatively affect all wars in the game but defensive crusades are the worst. Offensive crusades on the other hand are remarkably easy, just get in, siege a few provinces and win a battle. Boom, 100%.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Spouse would inherit the throne only if him had powerful army on himself and there were no nobles willing to pull John Bruce on his ass, daughters and their off spring were not allowed to inherit in Salic (Absolute Agnatic) law so I guess it should be one of Father side uncles. Of course in such situation it was the top feudal vassals who were choosing and if they thought Robertian was better candidate than Carolingian the crown was transferred without much fuss. The right for monarch to sit on throne because he was son or grandson of King was not enshrined until early modern age (Not Medieval times) and the Divine Rights of Kings nonsense.

Indeed, IIRC the Salic Law itself was actually made up on the fly by French jurists in order not to let the strong Edward of England onto the throne, since everyone preferred the weak Philip of Valois. Before that crisis, nothing of this sorts existed and female succession was widely used in France, even in the royal family itself (in case of appanages).

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The warscore system in general could use some work. Defending against crusades are awful because:
- Battles generate very low WS except in complete doomstack vs. doomstack scenarios, especially when there's a hundred different rulers on one side and you only wipe a small portion per battles.
- Ticking WS from holding the war goal is very slow.
- Ticking WS from holding the war goal defensively requires you to hold 100%, which will drive you crazy if you are a large kingdom on the Med. With an endless stream of 3-5k stacks coming in its very hard not to keep every occupation off while defending something like Egypt.
- The AI is never willing to end the war until you get 100%.

Most of these points negatively affect all wars in the game but defensive crusades are the worst. Offensive crusades on the other hand are remarkably easy, just get in, siege a few provinces and win a battle. Boom, 100%.

Yeah, that would make it a lot better. Holy Wars feel poorly implemented to me. Its also kind of wonky to declare a Great Holy War as a reformed feudal pagan, because rulers don't join all at once. You actually have to wait for them to stop what they are doing, and during that time you lose precious warscore. The AI should really be programmed to stop what they are doing and prioritize a Holy War, as you'd think such a thing would be a bigger deal than whatever they are doing.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Indeed, IIRC the Salic Law itself was actually made up on the fly by French jurists in order not to let the strong Edward of England onto the throne, since everyone preferred the weak Philip of Valois. Before that crisis, nothing of this sorts existed and female succession was widely used in France, even in the royal family itself (in case of appanages).

Actually the Salic Law did exist beforehand in 500 AD. It was, however, forgotten until the 14th century, when the French Jurists decided to reintroduce it to keep Edward off the French Throne.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Maybe they can make it so crusades aren't so annoying to fight against. Constantly fighting crusades as Pagan every 30 years against all of Christendom and their 5 holy orders isn't fun.
I'd prefer it if it were every 100 years, or once per pope or something. Or if you can make a peace treaty with him to get off your faith's ass. Like, the only reason why I'm preying on Christian lands is to get enough money to buy mercenaries to hold off their crusades.

Once per pope would likely be more often than every 30 years.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Actually the Salic Law did exist beforehand in 500 AD. It was, however, forgotten until the 14th century, when the French Jurists decided to reintroduce it to keep Edward off the French Throne.

The Merovingian 'Salic law' concerned the inheritance of real estate. It was extended to political divisions because at the time entire country was essentially the private property of the king. However, the situation in 14th century was much different. The kings were no longer "owners" of the country, but instead just highest officials operating within confines of customary and written law. In this sense, the application of Salic law was completely made up.

Beastro

Arcane

There should also be succession quirks added in.

One I recently learned about was the Norman custom that the patrimony a father inherited from his father was passed to the eldest son while whatever conquests that man had made were expected to be given to the second eldest son.

This is ultimately the reason why Robert Curthose inherited Normandy and William Rufus inherited England, not that Robert was incompetent but already confirmed to succeed William the Conquer in Normandy since his late teens. Had Robert not been the idiot he historically was and was a decent successor he still wouldn't have gotten England as per this custom that the Norman aristocracy expected to be met out and enforced on William's deathbed.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom