Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Endemic

Arcane
The AGOT soundtrack is pretty nice too.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I decided to start an "Old Gods" campaign with Avaria, and I've passed a few years. It's been about 5 years since I last played CKII for a serious amount of time, and I'm curious if the map evolves in a meaningful way from an Old Gods bookmark? Will the pagans turn to Christianity with time, or will it all devolve into a mess in a typical sandbox fashion?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I decided to start an "Old Gods" campaign with Avaria, and I've passed a few years. It's been about 5 years since I last played CKII for a serious amount of time, and I'm curious if the map evolves in a meaningful way from an Old Gods bookmark? Will the pagans turn to Christianity with time, or will it all devolve into a mess in a typical sandbox fashion?

It depends if they reform or not. If the AI reforms and keeps their moral authority high, then pagans will stick around until the crusades destroy them. If they never reform then they'll convert to Christianity eventually.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Without player intervention, there's a usually a domino of conversions in mid-to-late 900s.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Though there are some occasions where a pagan reform happens without player intervention, usually it's Bön or West African (on rare occasions Tengri) because they have holy sites that are potentially in reach of the AI's ability. If the West Africans pick pagan battle pope tho, they might snowball in a big way. Norse reformation is *never* going to happen without player intervention because their holy sites are placed in such a wide net that the AI will never get them, and Finnish or Slavic or Romuva reformation is unlikely because of their overlapping holy sites and usually passive AI.

Basically, get ready to use that console in case bordergore emergencies arise.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I am honestly surprised by that. I've mostly seen Norse disrupt other pagans chances to reform before they get steamrolled by Christians (without player intervention).

But yea, out of the overlap zone trio, Slavs are probably the worst off due to distances involved for them (by comparison the Finns have a pretty compact holy site distribution) and they're wedged by Nomads, Byzantines and Norse so they're in a fucked position.

rplnkdd5av641.png

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I noticed that I can't plot to kill my own children.

PLz8O0l.jpg

Why is this so?
Luckily my eldest son is proactive in murdering his own brother to stop the gavelkind sharing. I made him the guardian of his younger brother since I can't directly contribute to the plot otherwise.

UWiBSv4.jpg

PGQXSTD.jpg

Well done, son. :salute:

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I noticed that I can't plot to kill my own children.

PLz8O0l.jpg

Why is this so?
Luckily my eldest son is proactive in murdering his own brother to stop the gavelkind sharing. I made him the guardian of his younger brother since I can't directly contribute to the plot otherwise.

UWiBSv4.jpg

I noticed too and could not figure out why.

RK47

Patron

Ah, a quick google reveals the answer - 'it's too gamey' according to Paradox, so they disabled it to prevent Gavelkind rulers murdering their children for free.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Ah, a quick google reveals the answer - 'it's too gamey' according to Paradox, so they disabled it to prevent Gavelkind rulers murdering their children for free.

They could not bother to put meaningful onus on kin slayers onto game so they removed option all together, Swedes gonna Swede. What mods are you playing with Comrade?

RK47

Patron
The lunatic trait isn't that bad TBH.

hBSsBev.jpg

I restricted my son's marriage but it only lasted for 10 years.
Ah well, should've picked a better wife, sonny.

f4lvE7y.jpg

Went Ultimogeniture to bypass the terrible Eldest son who is Craven and Kind. He will not have the mettle to hold on to the crown. When the Crusade for Egypt was won, he earned a duchy in Egypt.

rv2sAM6.jpg

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So ran into a bit of a problem in my current game -

So I have a massive Norse Scandinavian Empire. Which is great. Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England is also Norse. Which is also great.
What isn't great though is that every 30 years the Pope declares a crusade, and if its against Main Land europe, the crusades take it easily because they can somehow deploy 70,000 troops before I can get my forces together.
Sieging down Rome is not a solution because the Pope somehow has control of central italy, so even if I were to take rome its not enough to instantly win the crusade.

So the question is, how the hell do I deal with 70,000 crusaders on my door step? I just need to survive for another 150 years, but that's still 5 crusades, which is dumb because 30 years is simply way too short of a cooldown, especially when the Muslims are too fucking useless to take jerusalem.

I can at most field 60,000 soldiers, and that's with my retinue.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

So I have a massive Norse Scandinavian Empire. Which is great. Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England is also Norse. Which is also great.
What isn't great though is that every 30 years the Pope declares a crusade, and if its against Main Land europe, the crusades take it easily because they can somehow deploy 70,000 troops before I can get my forces together.
Sieging down Rome is not a solution because the Pope somehow has control of central italy, so even if I were to take rome its not enough to instantly win the crusade.

So the question is, how the hell do I deal with 70,000 crusaders on my door step? I just need to survive for another 150 years, but that's still 5 crusades, which is dumb because 30 years is simply way too short of a cooldown, especially when the Muslims are too fucking useless to take jerusalem.

Can you post a screenshot of the current map and your current location? It'd be helpful to know where "my door step" is, knowing the Pope usually calls for crusades in the Middle East.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Can you post a screenshot of the current map and your current location? It'd be helpful to know where "my door step" is, knowing the Pope usually calls for crusades in the Middle East.

Sure

5A2C6890E0EDD1DD6C179CBB77EB024F43E1FB6B

Its not really clear, because for whatever reason Scotland and Sweden is blue as well as the Empire of Scandinavia, but basically everything blue in the north that's not Scotland and Sweden is mine.
Germany is a tiny kingdom of about 10 counties. Bavaria and Bohemia are controlled by a single king, who I can't assassinate to split his crowns because Elective Monarchy is bullshit and anti-player. Bulgaria is 100% Catholic, and is not an Empire. Ummayids are the only real Muslim power, and they completely lost the Holy Land. Which means most crusades are send after Europe. I just lost Paderborn to a Crusade, but I can probably get it back quickly.

Tartars are also Catholic for some reason, and you probably can't see it but the Pope owns central Italy.
So he has like 17,000 soldiers under his command + an absurd amount of money.

I would have taken Sweden into my Empire, but you can't do a claim on a de jure kingdom. Which is stupid but whatever.

Having such an Empire doesn't really matter though when the AI can just pull several 10,000 soldiers out of nowhere and just chewing their way up to Denmark. I can't even divide them because when they split their forces to avoid attrition it positions them close to each other.

Also, is it worth changing to imperial administration? The opinion penalties seem pretty heavy.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom