Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The last part isn't correct. You can designate heirs through a minor title. Children can't be doges however.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Not to mention once you have the cashflow you basically guarantee selection of the ideal candidate every time. It's only a matter of cash to get those Strong Genius boys to the job.

mondblut

Arcane
The top annoying bugs were that trading posts, if occupied, will never stop being occupied, not even after the war ends, and even though they work normally, you cannot really capture them in a war with other patricians

That's p.bad.

and that succession sometimes bugs out and loses your family's own holdings to the republic leader.

Wait, someone actually loses elections as a republic? Why?

The money you get after a (relatively short while) of playing intelligently (read: chaining tradeposts), you'll start amassing a truly ridiculous income that only snowballs more and more until you have nothing to spend it on anymore

That's the point :smug:

Also seniority succession is mandatory, so you'll always play as some shit-tier old fart from a distant branch that dies in 5 years before being replaced by another one. Sure, you could play a lean dynasty, but this time, having unlanded adult male characters in your dynasty will raise your trade post cap, so you actually need them if you want to get richer.

Eh? I always appointed genius 16 year olds and threw enough money on them to get them elected. Did they ruin it in following patches? :O

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Will dynasty members vote for non dynasty members in Elective Monarchy?
I'm tempted to switch over to elective for my Zoroastrian Empire run, but there's still a few non-dynastic dukes left.
Also, can holy orders be nomimated? One of the dukes is a holy order master.
If I expel vassalized holy orders from my lands, do I lose them as vassals?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
OK it's finished. 2-3 weeks of playing on and off ironman while at work. :lol:

20200122123244_1.jpg

unknown.png

unknown.png

RK47

Patron
I tried starting a count level in Byzantine and I found it really boring.
What are the interesting ways you can approach this gameplay?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I tried starting a count level in Byzantine and I found it really boring.
What are the interesting ways you can approach this gameplay?

There...really isn't one. Start cults I guess? Cuck everyone? Try to shag the Emperor?
Declaring war and trying to steal some Arab lands is pointless because you're so weak, even as a Duke. Trying to get voted in as Emperor is also pointless because you have no influence, and there's a specific set of criteria in order to become a nominee in the first place. Its not like Elective Monarchy; you need to be related to the Emperor, or a commander.

Idk, being a vassal is really boring. Unless you like the idea of being someone's bootlick for the first 10 hours of the playthrough.

Fabricate claims, eventually if you own enough land your emperor will grant you the viceroyalty (which is of course not as good as being a duke but he'll generally always re-grant it to your successor). Once you are duke you can do the usual invite courtier->land->press claim thing. From there if you can blob enough to make a kingdom title, it will stick (emperor AIs generally don't create kingdoms).

Regarding getting elected, IIRC the requirements are to be related to the emperor or on the council/a general. In theory you can collect favors through bribery (or if you are on council they'll periodically request support from you), then call in those favors to make them vote like you. You can also of course just marry your sons/daughters to the emperors children to get claims. Maybe a random faction will demand the emperor abdicate to your heirs, or you can start the faction. The electors are also pretty meriocratic, if you are genius brilliant strategist with high stats and good traits you'll probably collect a number of votes.

The real problem though is when the emperor disables vassals from going to war. Then there's not much you can do except wait for a faction that will decrease the emperor's power.

RK47

Patron
Well, I blew up the stable Byzantine by founding a secret society and went open in 2 generations with the Basileus as a member.
Cue mass revocations of duchies and Abbasid invasion + revolts

:lol: Yeah man, this is some retarded shit since it just started from a single count who is bored with nothing to do.

RK47

Patron
Crusades pre-1000 AD is also not a guaranteed thing. Even with Catholic Basileus who had to fight off revolts constantly.
Things were swinging a bit in the balance but eventually, we just couldn't fight back the 2x 20k Doomstacks from Abbasid and Egypt and lost the Crusade for Egypt.

What's crazier now is that I'm trying to keep the Catholic Basileus in power and it's a serious problem.

ghuXQ0Y.jpg

I did eventually form the Kingdom of Greece but I can't see any benefit in going independent even with the constant revolts giving me the opportunity.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The Byzantine AI seems to be coded to prefer Orthodoxy, it happened in my game too. The AI peacefully (well, as peaceful as the Empire can be) elected a Catholic leader and it turned into an endless shitfight between Catholics and Orthodox.

RK47

Patron
Finally got Egypt out of the equation with 1033 AD Crusades as the Abbasids implode into decadent revolt. Installed my brother as King of Egypt and things will go more smoothly now.

uOBZ7zn.jpg

So far this is one of the weirdest Byzantine vassal run ever. The Basileus is a Catholic Tribal and he keeps revoking and giving away Constantinople while ruling far in the north.

YbAfw8a.jpg

ea6ulAd.jpg

Thankfully this craziness is about to end with me winning the election.

MieyMG7.png

Once I do, I might just give away the northern wastelands to the Free Investiture Papacy instead of trying to defend it from tribal attacks and raid.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Thought some people here would appreciate knowing that the mod 'When the World Stopped Making Sense' has finally been updated for Holy Fury / 3.3.2 as of last week or so. See also: wiki page, forum. Still very much a work in progress, but it's gotten far enough to have seen some decent LPs.

When the World Stopped Making Sense (WtWSMS) is a massive major overhaul for CK2, allowing to play during the Migration Period at any date between 476 (fall of the Western Roman Empire) and 600, and continuing on with that game until the vanilla end date, 1453 (fall of the Eastern Roman Empire).

Features:

These are the major features that are planned for the mod in 1.0.0.

- Multiple new bookmarks with featured characters as well as scrollable history from 476 to 600
- A huge playtime between 476 and 1453
- New historical characters & dynasties, all adapted for the new start dates
- Numerous new religions & heresies
- Numerous new cultures and associated melting-pots
- A completely reworked de jure map modelling the political situation in 480
- A modified province map, with major overhauls in Africa, Persia and Arabia
- New government types adapted for the period, ranging from Bureaucratic to Eranshahr
- New decisions & casus belli to migrate as a Pagan
- New dynamic events relating historical developments (with some church councils & schisms)
- The possibility of Islam appearing dynamically
- The possibility of restoring and unifying the Roman Empires and Roman legions
- Unique sound track written by Christian Szajna
- All of it converter-compatible towards EU4
- Translations into French and Spanish

It's a bit like a historically counterpart to Lux Invicta, and if you've an interested in religion in late antiquity / early Christianity, you might find its particular attention to detail in that regard inetresting.

At the 476 start date:
MLfiltd.jpg

211F9gv.jpg

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Together with the now long abandoned The Prince and the Thane one of my fav mods was Crises of the Confederation. A mod that put CK2 into space. Heavily influenced by Dune and WH40K and featering everything from neo-feudalism to cyborgs and pirate space queens it was mad fun. It has been abandoned a long time ago but recently resurfaced with a new dev team. I'm stoked.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1921207930&searchtext=crisis

To begin, Crisis of the Confederation/Confederation at Crisis/Crisis at Confederation is a recently revived total conversion mod for Crusader Kings 2 created by Galle. The mod's development began in 2013, petered out in 2015, and has recently returned under a new team (with one old developer). The mod forgoes the usual historical or fantastical trappings of CK2 mods in favour of a sci-fi hodge podge drawing from Dune, Foundation, Fading Suns, Mobile Suit Gundam, Warhammer 40k, the Arthurian cycle, and a touch of Star Trek. Future development will likely lengthen the list. Elaboration on the lore will be in the following dev diaries.

With that out of the way, allow me to introduce the team. The ones that aren't on Reddit can be found on the Discord (see below).

Cjay - Lead Developer
LordKeeper - Artist for the original team, and now the new team.
u/Alexmaths - Developer
u/zombaxx - Developer
u/CaC-TheGoldenGun - Developer/Dev Diary Writer
Ballisticwaffles - Writer
Krunch - Writer
Dr. Evil - Writer
And you, possibly - We accept applications, see our Discord.Discord https://discord.gg/DZ68Afv - ! Direct Download Available Here ! -

File Size
Posted
Updated
123.577 MB
26 Nov, 2019 @ 4:44am
21 Apr @ 4:00pm
21 Change Notes ( view )

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
So how do I play Zoroastrians in the 867 without swearing fealty to Muslims? I want to form the Persian Empire.

Every few months i reinstall ck2 and play this start. Just lost again. Without pretending to be Muslim (im not even sure how you do that :obviously:) its intense.

I always go and take Khorasan in the first few months of the game cause you can steal it while the two muslimids to the south fight cause they always declare war when game begins. Try and save your 4k starting troops as much as you can and declare war on muslim neighbours while they are enagaged in wars and rebellions until you are strong enough to stomp them.
Once you get a decent kingdom going get some swords and armour made and start upping your infrastructure (theres a couple provinces that good levies/income that are easy to capture.)
But I always keep minimum of 500 gold for mercenaries lol. Cause usually the abbassids (or so.e other major muslim power will) try and stomp me at some point. And then you just get swamped in wars bouncing your kingdom above debt with war reparations and ransoming their family members. The maybe one time (out of like 10+ played.) I became a contender to byzantium my daughter was possessed by satan and just started murdering all my heirs and i was too fucked up about to change inheritance laws so i just ragequit lmao

Playing Karen viking age start is like crack tho

Also if you have Jade exp they are alot funner to play imo because you can sell your sister to the chinese emperor for crossbows and ming vases lol
Also get silk road effects

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So how do I play Zoroastrians in the 867 without swearing fealty to Muslims? I want to form the Persian Empire.

Every few months i reinstall ck2 and play this start. Just lost again. Without pretending to be Muslim (im not even sure how you do that :obviously:) its intense.

I always go and take Khorasan in the first few months of the game cause you can steal it while the two muslimids to the south fight cause they always declare war when game begins. Try and save your 4k starting troops as much as you can and declare war on muslim neighbours while they are enagaged in wars and rebellions until you are strong enough to stomp them.
Once you get a decent kingdom going get some swords and armour made and start upping your infrastructure (theres a couple provinces that good levies/income that are easy to capture.)
But I always keep minimum of 500 gold for mercenaries lol. Cause usually the abbassids (or so.e other major muslim power will) try and stomp me at some point. And then you just get swamped in wars bouncing your kingdom above debt with war reparations and ransoming their family members. The maybe one time (out of like 10+ played.) I became a contender to byzantium my daughter was possessed by satan and just started murdering all my heirs and i was too fucked up about to change inheritance laws so i just ragequit lmao

Playing Karen viking age start is like crack tho

Also if you have Jade exp they are alot funner to play imo because you can sell your sister to the chinese emperor for crossbows and ming vases lol
Also get silk road effects

Yeah, I managed to form the Persian Empire, but then the Mongols showed up and all converted to Islam, so whilst I have wiped out the Abbasids at this point and took Arabia for myself, I now have Muslim India and Muslim Mongolia up my arse and the Byzantine Empire holding territory I need to become the Sashoyant.
Oddly enough, the Indians don't join in Jihads against me...yet.

Islam is too stable, imo. They are supposed to be prone to decadent revolts, but that hardly matters if they assimilate everyone before that actually happens.

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
The games continuuing? The handful of times ive formed Persia i get overconfident and someone stomps me before i can sashoyant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom