Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Classic RPGs Forever" panel at PAX Prime 2015

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still two weeks until Gamescom, but PAX Prime is already looming over the horizon.

No inXile?

Annie is the only source for this so far: http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule

More Annie stuff: http://murderblonde.tumblr.com/post/124597264430/panels-i-will-be-on-coordinating-at-pax-dev-pax

* PAX DEV - “Shambling Into the Light: Dead State Postmortem” (time TBD)
DOUBLEBEAR TEAM: me (writer/designer), Brian Mitsoda (project lead), Kim Graylock (2D artist), Jake Ramey (QA), Christina Ramey (producer)

* PAX DEV - “Early Hurlyburly” (time TBD), me coordinating. Christina Ramey (DoubleBear Productions), Rami Ismail (Vlambeer), Michelle Juett Silva (Ska Studios), Raphael van Lierop (Hinterland Games)

* PAX PRIME:CLASSIC RPGs FOREVER!” Sun Aug 30, 11 AM Sasquatch Theater
me (DoubleBear Productions), Josh Sawyer (Obsidian Entertainment), Mitch Gitelman (Harebrained Schemes), Swen Vinke (Larian Studios), Jeff Kalles (moderator)

* PAX PRIME: “Surviving Success: How To Handle a Winning Kickstarter” Friday Aug 28, 6 PM Sphinx Theater
me (DoubleBear Productions), Craig Stern (Sinister Design), Eric Chon (Owlchemy Labs), Raphael van Lierop (Hinterland Games), Tyler Sigman (Red Hook Studios), Amanda End (moderator, from Bitch Team Alpha)

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
No Styg? :decline:

Also didn't doublebear have a massive meltdown not recently ago and were basically giving up on RPGs all together?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, the cost of plane tickets to Seattle would probably be a significant percentage of UnderRail's development budget :P

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Yeah, no offense to Double Bear, but they are a bit out of their league there... and no InXile is very weird.
How come they are out of their league?
Wasteland 2,Divinity:OS and PoE, all of them failed to impress despite the overly positive reviews.I think they ''earned'' their place at the table.
Maybe Harebrained should start giving them lessons at how to make a captivating rpg.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Classic RPGs Forever"

"By the way DoubleBear won't be making any RPGs in the forseeable future, also hardly anyone even cared about the thing they did release"

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, no offense to Double Bear, but they are a bit out of their league there... and no InXile is very weird.
Wasteland 2,Divinity:OS and PoE, all of them failed to impress despite the overly positive reviews.I think they ''earned'' their place at the table.
Maybe Harebrained should start giving them lessons at how to make a captivating rpg.
:nocountryforshitposters:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
:nocountryforshitposters:
Highly overrated.The game has a decent combat system and that's all ,everything else sucks major balls,from thebad storyline,lame characters, horrible writing and let's not forget the lame ass humor.
And from looking at DOS forum,barely a few of them finished the game ''Oh i played 30-40 hours and it's great,amazing but i just couldn't finish it'' i think that's saying a lot.
Unless Larian changes something in the writing department, i doubt many people would pay attention to their next game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Unless Larian changes something in the writing department, i doubt many people would pay attention to their next game.
Nonsense, Larian's silly writing is almost a trademark of the company, and a refreshing change from all those grimdark & tight-ass RPGs out there.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Nonsense, Larian's silly writing is almost a trademark of the company, and a refreshing change from all those grimdark & tight-ass RPGs out there.
Maybe you didn't played their past games or don't remember, but they always had a balance between humor and seriousness.
Divine Divinity,Divinity 2 are a perfect example,both games have a lot of grim situations and the humor was there at when it was needed ,not like DOS where the game was a big joke from the begining till the end.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Maybe you didn't played their past games or don't remember, but they always had a balance between humor and seriousness.
Divine Divinity,Divinity 2 are a perfect example,both games have a lot of grim situations and the humor was there at when it was needed ,not like DOS where the game was a big joke from the begining till the end.

I think Dragon Commander was their best written game because they combined their quirky humor with actual real life problems. At least for me, hearing elves complain about combat rape while the undead were saying we shouldn't allow gay marriage did create an interesting atmosphere. Everything was charming but dressed in dark topics, and this is a hard line to walk since you can become kitschy really quick but I think they managed it most of the time. Too bad they gutted the game to make D:OS.

I kinda wish Original Sin kept that tone but given the current climate in the game's industry maybe it is for the best.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Grim situations and humor are not exclusives. Dragon Commander nails this perfectly, being funny and offering tough decisions and tense dilemmas the same time.

Divine Divinity and Divinity 2's "serious" lines were mostly forgettable and bland, it was the humor that gave it a personality and made it memorable.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Sacred Stone, Hunter's Edge... Epic LULZ indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom