Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Close Combat 8: The Bloody First

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by The_Solution, Oct 16, 2016.

1. The_Solution Unwanted

Unwanted
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Slitherine is working on 8th CC game which will also be the first one to be 3d in the series.

[​IMG]

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    That's been in development hell for a long time.
    Have they ditched Unity? Yes, they have.
    edit.
    http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4116917
    :decline:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    • decline decline x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Luka-boy Arcane

Luka-boy
    Parrots:
    On one hand maybe this complete overhaul makes them to finally release a game without frustrating AI issues.

On the other one this game has been in development hell for so long I doubt it won't be a mess.

^ Top  
  4. sser Arcane Cuck

sser
    Parrots:
    That image is completely out of date as they switched to the Battle Academy engine (Archon, see post above). The Archon engine is pretty slick, but it does look like an iOS game in its current BA iterations. Hopefully, CC won't look like such a cartoon.

^ Top  
  5. Bésame Mucho Unwanted

Unwanted
    Parrots:
    Haha. I loled. Come on man. They cannot get multi-storey buildings in because its a 3D engine! But I hear Starcitizen releases soon. Dreed
    Irenaeus

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
  7. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    They have a point, though. It would be a pain UI wise, especially in a Real Time game.

^ Top  
  8. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Not the greatest looking 3D-engine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. TZ3K Arcane

TZ3K
    Parrots:
    Slitherine's claiming they'll get this to release in 2018, with a proper announcement soon now that they've got the old games on GoG.

^ Top  
  10. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    I'm trembling with excitement :lol:

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. mbv123 Savant

mbv123
    Parrots:
    Holy fuck, that's good news. One of the reasons why I never played this is because I couldn't play it on my system because of compatibility issues for some reason. Now that it's on GoG I'm gonna try them out. Particularly interested in the CC3 because Eastern Front rulz

^ Top  
  12. Bocian Arcane

Bocian
    Parrots:
    Have they finally figured out how to control forces bigger than a company?

^ Top  
  13. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=686

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    Could be good, if only they had 1 good programmer :lol:

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I'm sorry, but that 3D engine is ugly as sin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    This was the exact same thing everyone said about Close Combat.

Everyone who saw it said it was ugly and that it was slow. Everyone except me and 1 buddy who was not into computer game, an ex-skinhead and Wehrmacht fanatic who bought the game with me. He split the game with me but "only if he could play as the Germans ".

One thing I do however see on the screens is that the 2D menus are not up to the task and done by someone who took a 8.8cm shell in the head. Close Combat needs no 3D, it needs crisp, realistic maps, great sound effects, graphically appealing menus with many different weapons and uniforms, as well as great gameplay with a long, engaging, open ended campaign (CC2).

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Parrots:
    It's close combat ! in 3d!...... i'm keeping my watch on this

^ Top  
  18. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It doesn't look worse than Combat Mission to me, so I would be ok with it. The main problem I had with the CC was the AI (both friendly and enemy). Did they make significant improvement to it?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Beowulf Arbiter

Beowulf
    Parrots:
    Gameplay video:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    Wonna buy an Eight?

Show Spoiler

^ Top  
  21. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    Parrots:
    May I suggest:

[​IMG]

Obviously the graphics are ugly at this point (curse of early 3D) but the attention to detail is impressive. There are more than enough premade scenarios and campaigns to keep you busy for a while, and an editor\quick battle options.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Robert Jarzeback Educated

Robert Jarzeback
    Parrots:
    So many years and tanks still cant driver straight.
    This looks really bad and lack of german campaign is a fucking joke.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Kwota Educated

Kwota
    Parrots:
    But there is a german campaign.

It just doesn't work as american one since you're using different divisions.

^ Top  
  24. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    I dunno. This looks more or less like Theatre of War, and will probably play as bad.

3D is a huge mistake if the very basics i.e. AI and campaigns are again ignored. I would play a 2D CC to death if it had the same formula and athmosphere as CC2. But this game is depressing shit.

Close Combat was an AAA game in a genre that normally belonged to indie games. In that respect it was one of the very few gaming orgasms a certain kind of player ever experienced, and the reason it remains in their memory forever.

This little new Matrix program on the other hand looks like yet another 3rd rate programmer tries mimicking Close Combat, and it will be shit. I would not be surprised if they still use the sound effects from 1998.

Another appetizer in a genre that wants 5 course meals, I expect next to no content and the amount of DLC milking will be outrageous.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. darkpatriot Arcane

darkpatriot
    Parrots:
    I don't like how they made the basic infantry element the team instead of the squad. For one it reduces the size of the overall unit you are commanding to something closer to 1 to 2 platoons instead of a full company, unless they are letting you have like 30 units instead of the typical 15 they limit you to.

Secondly, although by doctrine the WW2 US Infantry squad was organized into 3 teams (a rifle team of 5, a automatic rifle team of 3, and a scout team 2, as well as squad leader and assistant squad leader) that were supposed to be able to form a separate fire and maneuver element, in practice American infantry squad in WW2 rarely attempted to operate as a separate fire and maneuver element and when it was attempted it had limited effectiveness. Generally a squad was the smallest infantry maneuver element and 2 squads were necessary (or a squad and a machine gun team) to have a fire and maneuver element.

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Journals/NCO-Journal/Archives/2018/March/Infantry-Squad-Part-1/

Show Spoiler

Post-WWII: Redefining the Doctrine

After WWII, the infantry squad underwent another transformation, reducing its cadre of 12 Soldiers down to 10. Maj. Gen. David W. Gray, who commanded the 25th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division, during the Korean Conflict, wrote that one reason for reducing the squad to two five-man fire teams was because "one man cannot effectively control eight or more fighters." His viewpoint was not just a random thought; in 1946 infantry leaders gathered at Fort Benning, Georgia, to discuss lessons learned from the WWII battlefields and ended up shaping much of today's infantry doctrine. At the conclusion of the conference, the attendees recommended four changes to the doctrine of the infantry squad:

Command and control

One of the changes that all infantry conference attendees agreed on was that a squad leader could not effectively control a 12-man squad, even with an assistant squad leader. During the conference, NCOs related their experiences in trying to control 12 men in combat and suggested to the attendees that the maximum squad size should be nine members.

Continual 20% combat attrition

Combat attrition helped further shape the nine-man theory. Routinely, during the war, squads would operate at an 80% capacity, due to death, injuries, and illness. The reduced operational levels also helped to show NCOs could command nine-men while remaining large enough to be an effective fighting force.

Lack of a squad light machine gun

The German Army doctrine of equipping a nine-man squad with a light machine gun and the squad tactics focused on this weapon strongly influenced the conference attendees. Equipping the squad with a lightweight machine gun added flexibility in attack and defense. This flexibility made a significant impression on the infantry conference attendees.

Limitations of squad tactics

Attendees of the conference conceded that the pre-war doctrine of a squad conducting "fire and maneuver" was not possible. They found that achieving fire and maneuver required at least two squads: one to be the firebase, while another maneuvered. Even with a fully staffed squad of 12 men, there were too many moving parts for this doctrine to be effective.

I am not sure why they are switching from the squad to the team as the basic infantry element. Technical limitations?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)