Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Cloud is Dead (Final Fantasy VII CYOA)

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Random, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    Told ya the best option was to hunt the fuckers like some angel of annihilation, instead we cowered in a corner like a rat or a German.

We don't know if the emergency teams have been alerted.

If you have to Bluff, bluff tactically. Sometimes on the line....

C) This is Marcus Westford, Major of the Shinra Co. Peacekeeping Corps, Department of Public Safety, Military Police Division. Your leader has been neutralized and the hostages are safe. Your ephemeral control of the building is gonna end soon. Surrender peacefully and there won't be any trouble.

And, of course,

H) Ask the crew to re-activate the cameras and put them on direct-mode. Start broadcasting a small quick message with you and the body of the chief terrorist, telling publicly how a terrorist attack has been stifled but not yet stopped, managing several things at once:

+ More PR for us, yay
    + Guaratees that ShinRa will send fast the Best and Brightest before the terrorists can overwhelm us. We're talking the company that keeps a bunch of crazy supersoldiers in its basement just in case.
    + Morale hit for the terrorists
    + Without their leader, counter attacks against us will be hasty and disorganized in any case

Easy to fuck up, but we need guarantees and not being passive as fuck hiding under a table.

Sure, there's the option they went the standard AVALANCHE way and placed bombs everywhere but a man has to risk.

• Deus Vult Deus Vult x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    C) This is Marcus Westford, Major of the Shinra Co. Peacekeeping Corps, Department of Public Safety, Military Police Division. Your leader has been neutralized and the hostages are safe. Your ephemeral control of the building is gonna end soon. Surrender peacefully and there won't be any trouble.

H) Ask the crew to re-activate the cameras and put them on direct-mode. Start broadcasting a small quick message with you and the body of the chief terrorist, telling publicly how a terrorist attack has been stifled but not yet stopped.

I'm in. The show must go on. Maybe they should even film them being exterminated. If we live, we'll make millions off the footage alone.

^ Top  
  3. Random Arcane Patron

Random
    I was originally planning to update tonight, but there have been a lot of interesting new suggestions for what to do, so I'm gonna let y'all debate about it a little more until everyone's had a chance to consider the new options. You guys are getting creative. This is good. I will state that there is one kinda obvious option available to Marcus that I did not include in the list which would radically change the situation, and if you think about it a little, it may come to you.

The alternative choices currently on the table:
    Discuss!!!!
    :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    ...we have a cellphone, don't we? Someone in the audience has a cellphone, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Random Arcane Patron

Random
    You do indeed have a cellphone. It's the PHS in your inventory.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    'k. Do we have service/reception?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    ^ Top  
  7. Random Arcane Patron

Random
    You do. It seems the terrorists couldn't afford a cell phone signal jammer.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    'k.

I propose, and change my vote to, option I: [Bluff with the intent of discerning identity of the terrorist group] "Glory to AVALANCHE! Well done!" Then, call the police. Tell them that the terrorist leader is dead, that we have positive control of the hostages and that we are barricaded in the studio with enough firepower to hold them off for a little while. Provide the group's identity, if possible.

Edit: This will let the counter-terror teams know that they are free to wreck face, and hopefully identify whose face they will be wrecking.

^ Top  
  9. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    I say we have Dave and the audience call the cops while we get to corpse shenanigans and weapon retrieval.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. GreyViper Arbiter

GreyViper
    Nice to see this CYOA alive again.
    So many options.

If there is an option to go live id suggest using the live feed to project this to viewers at home.
    H) Ask the crew to re-activate the cameras and put them on direct-mode. Start broadcasting "This is Marcus Westford, Major of the Shinra Co. Peacekeeping Corps, Department of Public Safety, Military Police Division. Your leader has been neutralized and the hostages are safe. Your ephemeral control of the building is gonna end soon. Surrender peacefully and there won't be any trouble.
    Also, put the corpse of the rebel leader for display for cameras.
    Since they will be coming to studio anyway.
    A) Nothing. (That way they might keep on using the channel for longer and don't know its compromised.)
    J) Use the PHS to call reinforcements after broadcast.

^ Top  
  11. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Two problems I see with broadcasting. The cameras are serving to block doors and the crew may not be willing to leave the safety of the bathroom.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. GreyViper Arbiter

GreyViper
    Hmm maybe exploit Daves ambition and explain, this is his once in a lifetime moment. Think of the ratings. :D

^ Top  
  13. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    C) + H) "Your boss is dead. I've taken the studio. Surrender now. A Shinra counter-terror squad is already on its way. If you don't surrender peacefully, the only way out of here for you is in a bodybag."

Or A) nothing.. they might give away more info if they keep trying to contact their leader

^ Top  
  14. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    What exactly is the plan with activating those cameras?

^ Top  
  15. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Risky glory grab. We should forget the cameras.

^ Top  
  16. Random Arcane Patron

Random
    Right now there's 1 vote for D), 3 votes for A) (counting EFRYKAD's H as an A vote), 3 votes for the trying to start the cameras up, 2 votes for C) and its variants, 1 vote for F), 3 votes for using the PHS to call the authorities, and Grimgravy's suggestion for using the corpses as psychological warfare against the terrorists. It's all a bit scrambled, so I'm going to simplify it and ask for a run-off vote.

I'm going to just go ahead and confirm that Marcus will use the phone to call the police no matter what else happens, so that can be removed from the vote entirely.

That leaves two major questions:
    A) Say nothing on the radio or C) Announce who you are and what you've accomplished?
    Try to get a live feed going or not? Y/N?

There are still cameras around that you haven't used to barricade the doors, non-portable ones bolted to the floor. But it's important to note that Marcus does not have the technical expertise to get a livefeed started. You'd have to ask for some of the crew to help set that up.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    I think the camera idea is pointless.

A, say nothing;
    No live feed.

^ Top  
  18. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Say nothing
    No live feed.

^ Top  
  19. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

^ Top  
  20. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    A

^ Top  
  21. Random Arcane Patron

Random
    Will update tonight.

^ Top  
  22. Random Arcane Patron

Random
    Sorry about the delay. Was one of those weekends where it's just one thing after another and you don't get any real rest or hobby time. On top of that I realized I mixed up the two different talk show hosts; the one for the show you're at is John, not Dave. Dave was the guy at the first talk show, and you drove to a different one. I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

The Hero Returns, Part XIV

"Boss? Boss?"

"No response," says a different voice on the radio. "Did Shinra roll out a jammer?"

"Then we wouldn't be talking right now, wiseguy. Maybe he's deep sixed. We'd better get back there," says a third voice, much deeper.

"Hold on. If that's true, the building might not be secure. We gotta sweep it again."

"You joking? We don't have time for that!"

"We don't have time not to!"

"You're not the boss, asshat!"

"If he's not in contact, then we have to operate without him!"

"I'm going to sweep the northeast hallway and work my way west on the third floor to the control booth."

"No! Get back to the studio!"

"Go yourself."

You chuckle a little. They're definitely in disarray and they're spewing mission critical intel at each other on an unsecure channel. You almost feel bad for them.

Listening to the radio and cross-referencing their directions and routes with your admittedly cursory knowledge of the layout, you're all ready to mount your defense, but then you realize you've totally forgotten about something crucial. You don't have to just wait and hope help's on the way. You have a phone in your pocket.

Setting the rifle down on John's desk, but keeping your hand firmly around the grip so you can swing it up and fire at a moment's notice, you fish the PHS out of your jacket pocket with your left hand and struggle through pressing the buttons one-handed to dial the police emergency number, 811.

"Hello, 811 operator here. What is the nature of your emergency?"

"This is Marcus Westmore. I'm in the Evening Digest studio. We're under attack by terrorists."

The woman on the line pauses, then very curtly answers, "Please hold."

You stay on the line for a while, and someone starts banging on the northeast door to the studio, the one jammed with the Buster Sword.

"Hey! Open up! Boss!" shouts a voice you recognize from the radio. "Hey! You in there?!"

You cradle the cellphone between your shoulder and your head, lifting and swinging the rifle around to cover that vector. There's nothing but silence coming out of the phone, but it's still your best hope of getting out alive. With your head bent down in a funny way and your shoulder raised for the phone, you can't quite call it an optimal position for aiming. It occurs to you to maybe put it on speaker phone, but the banging intensifies and soon the guy trying to pull the door open gives up and starts shooting the hollow steel door full of bullet holes. He's not aiming at the locking mechanism, so it's just a waste of bullets; they all just bounce right off the Buster Sword and you're pretty sure you hear at least one ricochet right back through the door and back into him, since he starts shouting and groaning in pain. You quickly grab the phone from the crink of your neck and set it to speaker, then place it at your feet so you can properly aim and prepare to shoot the guy if he somehow manages to get through.

Sounding very frustrated and furious, the guy unloads the rest of his magazine, some of the bullets going into the ceiling. He starts screaming into the radio that there are hostiles in the studio; you guess he didn't understand what had hit him and just assumed it was enemy gunfire. Still, he is technically correct, just not for the right reasons. The radio lights up with reports of the terrorists acknowledging him and all announcing that they're heading for the studio, and you shake your head. You're really out of time now. It sounds like there are at least twelve or so more terrorists, possibly way more if they're traveling in teams of 3 like the boss and his two flunkies you took out. That means you can expect thirty to forty bastards coming your way in the next few minutes. Wonderful.

"Westmore," comes a female voice on the phone, different from the operator. It's lower. Meaner. You nearly shoot your own cellphone, as startled as you are out of your focus.

"Huh? Who's this?" you ask.

"SOLDIER."

Your blood runs cold in your veins, immediately recalling the terrifying experiences you had both in dream and reality. Shinra brought out SOLDIER for this?

"What? Why? Shouldn't the Counter-Terrorism Unit be in charge?" you ask.

"President ordered SOLDIER to handle the incident."

You groan loud enough for her to hear you. You realize you don't know much about Rufus Shinra; he seemed pragmatic when you met him for just that short while, but he should know better. There are special units for a reason.

"Is that a problem, Major?" whoever it is snaps impatiently.

"It's not your job to handle this," you say, feeling irritated by the arrogance of this SOLDIER lady.

"You going to whine about jurisdiction, or are you going to tell me what room you're in?"

"I'm - no, we're in the studio. I'm on the set itself. The audience is in the bathrooms."

"You in command of the room?"

"That's right," you mutter under your breath as you notice hard banging on a few more doors now. The enemy is congregating all around the studio. You're surrounded. "Enemy's using 303.22 as their freq."

"We noticed. Are you armed?"

"I've got a rifle."

"Put it down."

"What?"

"I said, lay down your rifle."

You narrow your eyes at the phone, shaking your head. She can't be serious. Can she? The enemy's at your doorstep and not all the barricades are totally solid and holding up to the hard assault of a bunch of men ramming the doors. One of them's going to break down in short order, chairs stacked up tumbling away and clattering to the floor.

"Not really an option right now, if I'm being honest!"

"I can't guarantee your safety if you don't, Major."

"What, you got an assault team on the door and ready to clear the room?" you snap angrily.

"Not on the door, exactly. I've taken care of the marksmen on the roof."

So there were hostiles up there after all. You're glad you decided not to tell the people to make a run for it. But it doesn't make you any less pissed at this woman.

"What, you just took them out? What happens when they don't report in?!" you yell. "Did you even have a plan?!"

"Improvisation is SOLDIER's specialty," she answers calmly.

Oh great. Of all the supersoldiers to get assigned to saving your ass, you get a goddamn cowboy. This is why you wanted the CTU.

"Then you can improvise around me having a rifle, lady," you say, watching the barricade behind the southwest door finally collapse, the door breaking inward from one last good kick from a big and beefy terrorist in a balaclava. You and he move to gun the other down simultaneously, but you're faster on the draw, and you put two rounds in his skull and drop him before he can even lift his weapon in your direction. The death reflexes cause him to pull the trigger regardless, though, and his gun sprays harmlessly over the floor. You see a couple heads poking out from the around the doorway, and fan the trigger, suppressing them and anyone else that might be hiding in that hallway. More of them come out, and you fulfill the grim history of what a man on overwatch covering a single, sole angle of assault has done and will always do. You pull the trigger over and over and just gun down man after man after man, slaughtering them like a sniper in trench warfare. It's so easy that an infant could do it, and that's a chilling thought. Your magazine clicks dry, so you quickly swap it out with practiced ease, and shoot the next few idiots who throw their lives away for their cause. In under a minute, you have killed nine men without missing a single shot. You make sure they're dead if they start squirming, putting one last bullet in them.

Another barricade begins to collapse on the opposite end of the studio, and you whirl, seeing the table knocked out of the way and a terrorist shouting as he trots in, but he does not seem aware of where you are, so you easily pop him twice in the center of mass and he's done. Just as you do that, you see in the corner of your eye movement from the first door that was compromised, and swing around, but you're too spread thin in focus and reflexes, and don't react in time to stop the hail of bullets that fly at you from a hostile assault rifle. You duck under the desk, hearing the thuds of bullets that slam into its wooden bulk, stopped before they reach you. You're pinned, and you can hear several of the bastards shouting directions at each other as they come marching right into the studio through both entrances.

"Hostile under the desk!" one shouts. "Oh my god, he killed them all like dogs!"

"Flank him!" another yells. "Make him pay!"

"Where are the hostages?"

"Take the bastard out!"

You've really done it now, you think, rubbing your sweaty face with a hand. Training and experience is not infinitely powerful. It was one of you and dozens of them, and you did your best, but it was too easy to corner you since you're just one man. And that's the match. Maybe trying to fortify a studio set was not an ideal course of action. You glance at your phone, planning to ask the SOLDIER to come help, and see that the call was hung up. Great.

What do you do?

A) Throw down your rifle and surrender; they still need hostages and surely you'd make a good one.
    B) Stay under the desk and blindfire your rifle in random directions to suppress them all and buy time.
    C) Leap out from the desk and try to run, using suppressing fire to get to the door blocked by the Buster Sword; it's the closest one, should be the easiest door to get through, and you don't think there are many hostiles waiting behind it compared to the two doors that are now open and swarming with terrorists.
    D) Throw smokes, then try to bolt as in C)
    E) Throw frags, then try to gun down anyone not dead from them.
    F) Kill yourself before they can take you hostage. Better to die on your own terms than let them decide how painful to make it.
    G) Alternative

Roll Results
    Show Spoiler

Agility 7 vs. Terrorist Forces Agility 3; Marcus acts first
    Marksmanship roll to take out terrorists in killzone:
    Roll: 1d20 + Agility 7 + Marksmanship Lvl. 2 - Exhausted status effect = 20 + 7 + 4 - 2
    TN: 10
    Final Result: 29
    CRITICAL Success!
    Consequences: TN10 - 29 = 19/2 = total terrorists killed in killzone = 10 kills
    BLOODBATH

Terrorist Forces fire at Marcus
    Roll: 1d20 + Agility 3 - Decent Cover - Demoralized = 8 + 3 - 4 - 2
    TN: 17 (10 base + Agility 7)
    Final Result: 7
    Failure!

Character Sheet
    Show Spoiler

Name: Marcus "Steelwall" Westford
    Class: Ranger
    Profession: Major of the Shinra Co. Peacekeeping Corps, Department of Public Safety, Military Police Division
    Inner Nature: X
    Dominant Inner Nature: None
    Health: Fine

Characteristics:
    Strength 4 Agility 7
    Tenacity 6 Intelligence 7

Skills:
    Discipline Lvl. 3
    Marksmanship Lvl. 2, Athletics Lvl. 2, Bluff Lvl. 2
    Hand-to-Hand Lvl. 1, Fieldcraft Lvl. 1, Stealth Lvl. 1, Academics Lvl. 1, Observation Lvl. 1, Electronics Lvl. 1, Computer Use Lvl. 1

Inventory: Nice Suit, PHS, note from Janice, Tom's business card
    Gear: Shangwu Arms AR-16 w/ 1 mag (14 rounds remaining), 1 full spare mag, 2 smoke grenades, 2 frag grenades, handheld radio on terrorist frequency

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    E

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Seems like telling the civvies to stay put was a good idea.

E > D

These guys are amateurs who only managed to surround us due to sheer numbers.
    They won't be able to cope with frags, I feel.

^ Top  
  25. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    E

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)