Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Cloud is Dead (Final Fantasy VII CYOA)

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Random, Dec 12, 2013.

1. taxalot Gone forever. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    There's 27 pages of this. Should I read those ?

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    C. If she gets evasive, then we should get creative and confront her. I have a feeling that this is important.

Welcome to the LP. I do recommend reading the updates to get a feel for the character we've built, but we are not that far along.

• Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    B - if she wants to talk she can come in for a nightcap.

^ Top  
  4. Random Arcane Patron

Random
    If you want to get the full detail of experiences the character has gone through from start to finish, yeah. If not, here's a summary that's a lot less exciting than the actual updates themselves:

Show Spoiler
    You are Marcus Westmore, a Lieutenant security officer stationed at ShinRa HQ. You were supposed to go on vacation but AVALANCHE attacked, and you decided to fight instead of run away. After a lot of struggles, you managed to shoot and kill Cloud Strife, ending the attack before it could achieve its goal. You collapsed from your injuries and exhaustion, and then woke up to find that the President of ShinRa had been killed, seemingly by the legendary hero Sephiroth. You chose to let Tifa Lockhart, the only unharmed member of AVALANCHE, escape because she saved your life.

After that, you spent a while getting back into the groove of things and working out. As the man who took down AVALANCHE, you were spontaneously promoted to Major and received major media acclaim. While at one of the sets that was filming a late night talk show, terrorists later identified as AVALANCHE attacked the studio and you barely managed to survive, saving the hostages in the process, but you needed to be saved by a SOLDIER sent in to wipe out the enemy forces.

Finally back to full health after surviving a gunshot wound, you have no outstanding orders except to get some rest, so you were discharged from the hospital. You went to a bar and got some good food and drink, but then watched the leader of AVALANCHE, Barret Wallace, get executed on live TV, listening to his miserable apologies after having been tortured into a broken man by ShinRa. You are now heading home after staying out of a barfight caused by the execution, and noticed you are being followed by a mysterious biker lady.

^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  6. Kipeci Magister

Kipeci
  7. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    B. Let's stretch our legs and burn off some off those fries.

^ Top  
  8. MoistCloister Savant

MoistCloister
    E - B+C Confront her, but walk around a bit and buy some flowers beforehand.

Also,
    Show Spoiler
    Did we eat the stake? If not, better go back to the bar and get it, 'cuz that's a 100$ stake. Then we can offer the babe both drink and dinner.

^ Top  
  9. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    C)

Maybe it's the SOLDIER chick from before.

^ Top  
  10. skaraher Arbiter

skaraher
  11. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    C

I love how Westford can recognize women by the size of their chests.
    I suspect its that SOLDIER. Or not - sending a SOLDIER to tail Westford seems like a waste

^ Top  
  12. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Don't Bother.

^ Top  
  13. Random Arcane Patron

Random
    You did get around to eating the rest of it, yeah.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Random Arcane Patron

Random
    Changing Times Part IV

At first you're determined not to even acknowledge her, but after a while curiosity overwhelms your indignity. You walk for a little while just to summon your courage to address the mysterious rider directly, then you pivot on your heel and stand right where you are, waiting for the motorcyle hanging a block or two back to slowly trundle up to you and then stop in the empty street. The engine of the motorcycle rumbles with restrained life as the biker chick sticks out a foot on the road to prop herself and the bike up, leaning forward on the bars and draping her arms over it and staring right at you, almost like a lounging cat.

You wait a little while for her to say something, but she doesn't. She seems perfectly content to just stare just as you stare at her. Eventually, feeling maddened by the total stonewall she's giving you, you throw out your arms. "So, you just gonna follow me around?"

She nods slowly.

You take a long glug-glug from your bottle, holding the neck of it between your index and middle finger, and wipe your mouth as the burn of good booze sinks down your throat. "Did ShinRa send you?"

Again, a slow nod.

"Great," you mutter. "What, are you here to protect me or to intimidate me? Kill me?"

This time she doesn't make the slightest motion of answer, but to be fair, you did sling a lot of questions at her at once.

"My place is in Sector 4. You gonna follow me all the way there? Gonna be a long night," you ramble, feeling increasingly pissed at her just for refusing to talk to you.

"If I have to," she says, and though her voice is muffled, you recognize it. It's familiar. It's the same voice as the SOLDIER who you had the angry conversation with earlier.

"Oh, it's you," you snap, rolling your eyes. "Don't tell me, they put you on guard duty."

She says nothing.

"I mean, actually tell me if that's what your orders are," you say with a groan of annoyance.

She nods.

"I don't need freaking SOLDIER watching my ass everywhere I go," you shout at her. You realize you're being a little more volatile than you normally would. You must be pretty drunk.

"I agree," she replies in a bored tone. "AVALANCHE is dead. The tactical risk of one last gasp from a broken ring of assassins and bombers doesn't warrant wasting a SOLDIER on your sorry ass."

Suddenly you're angry for the entirely opposite reason. So you angrily chug a few gulps of Gysahl brandy down to add fuel to the fire. "Sorry, I'm not important enough for that?"

"Not in the least," she says.

"Watch your tone. I'm a fucking Major. I could put you into so much shit if I reported that you said that," you threaten, seething at her. Why does she have to give you so much crap?

"Worst they could do is put me on monster patrol in that frozen hellhole surrounding Icicle Inn. Would rather do that again than shadow you on your nightly strolls through the pit of the city," she says. She doesn't even sound upset. She's not afraid of you at all.

"And what happens when I go home? You gonna just stand outside my door all night?" you ask.

"No, there's a squad of MPs stationed in the apartment beside yours to monitor and guard you," she says.

"Why the Hell wasn't I told about this?"

"Because the powers that be decided you don't need to know," she says, drumming her fingers on the brake lever.

You have no idea how to handle her. You can't even see her face to get a read on her. So you swallow another bittersweet mouthful of the brandy as you consider your next move.

How do you respond?

A) "Fuck off." Walk away and don't talk to her anymore.
    B) [Charm] "Then give me a ride home, lady. I get home faster and you get to go home sooner, too. It's a win-win."
    C) [Charm] "You want some gum?"
    D) [Charm: Legendary] "Heyyy babyyy, come ride something bigger and harder than that bike seat!" With appropriately timed pelvic thrust.
    E) Alternative

Character Sheet
    Show Spoiler

Name: Marcus "Steelwall" Westford
    Class: Ranger
    Level: 2
    Profession: Major of the ShinRa Co. Peacekeeping Corps, Department of Public Safety, Military Police Division
    Inner Nature: X
    Dominant Inner Nature: None
    Health: [Pristine - Fine - Poor - Severe - Critical - Dead]

Characteristics:
    Strength 4 Agility 8
    Tenacity 6 Intelligence 7

Skills:
    Discipline Lvl. 3
    Marksmanship Lvl. 2, Athletics Lvl. 2, Bluff Lvl. 2
    Hand-to-Hand Lvl. 1, Fieldcraft Lvl. 1, Stealth Lvl. 1, Academics Lvl. 1, Observation Lvl. 1, Electronics Lvl. 1, Computer Use Lvl. 1

Perks:
    Tough Guy ("Love the suck." The penalty for all mundane negative status effects is reduced by 1)

Inventory: Civilian casual clothes, Shinra Employee ID Card, Jupiter Energy Bar, Pocket Knife, Spearmint Gum, Portable Handheld System, Wallet w/ 19,670 Gil, Note from Janice, Tom's business card (blood-stained), half-empty bottle of Gysahl Brandy
    Gear:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    B>E: "Fair enough." Walk home.

^ Top  
  16. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    C>D>B

^ Top  
  17. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    B>E same as Baltika.

^ Top  
  18. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
  19. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    B>E

^ Top  
  20. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Something is up, why is ShinRa putting a SOLDIER to tail Westfield?
    Hmmmm... lemme do some big think:

1. They suspect AVALANCHE or someone else (Sephiroth?) will try to attack Westfield and want to preserve their asset.
    2. They suspect/know Westfield helped Tiffa bolt away
    3. They are afraid Westfield will become a threat to ShinRa interests.

I say, let us make her into our little friend. Maybe we can update that to waifu.

C) Let's share the gum.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    ^ Top  
  21. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    You sure that's B and not C?

^ Top  
  22. MoistCloister Savant

MoistCloister
    C) (sneaky butterface check): Offer her some bubblegum (since she's currently not kicking ass).
    Otherwise, going with Baltika's plan.

^ Top  
  23. baud Savant

baud
    E same as Baltika.

^ Top  
  24. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    You're right, changed it.
    In my defense, I may have been a bit doped in that moment.

^ Top  
  25. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    With "gum" you mean booze?

Kk, we're drunk and we suck at charm. I guess C then B, let's try to get some info out of our guardian angel. Not that it will help, considering we are dead drunk and she isn't.

Can SOLDIERs even get drunk anymore?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)