Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Co8 content issues & bugs

gazra

Educated
Holten Kindlehopper (Farmer) has a typo in his dialogue. He states "Hallelujah! May the gods be praised! You go down and talk to Fruella now. You go tell her the good news, you hear?". The error is that Holten is standing on the ground floor of their 1-story house while he says that to you, and Fruella is just in the other room of the house, so it should read " You go talk to Fruella now."
Confirmed

The Large Spiders at Deklo Grove and in the tower of the Moathouse ruins do not have venomous attacks - they just do normal Hit Point damage attacks. Whenever I've played the Co8 Modpack using TFE-X, those Large Spiders have always done ability (attribute) (Strength? Constitution?) draining venomous attacks whenever they hit!
Confirmed, but it's not a TemplePlus issue (does happen in Co8 too, and is a MOB issue - it got fixed when I copied the MOB file for the Spider from vanilla GoG).

In the basement (cellar) of the Inn of the Welcome Wench, the blue portal icon of the left staircase is almost impossible to activate. I need to move my PC directly in front of the staircase (in order to be able to activate the blue portal icon) which is very difficult to do because most movement commands to position a PC there result in the PC not moving at all.
Noted. Also want to allow NPCs to click those icons since they sometimes are the closest to them.

After the assassin attacked my adventuring party, and after my party leader confronted Gremag about the assassination attempt and the note from Smigmal, and after attacking Rannos Davl and Gremag and then seeing them flee, when my party leader spoke to Burne, my party leader had no dialogue option to Tell Burne about what had happened. Whenever I've spoken to Burne at that stage while playing the Co8 Modpack using TFE-X, I've always been able to inform Burne of what happened and then receive the Retribution quest.
Looks like a plain old Co8 scripting bug - happens if you let both of them run away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
AKA Somebody Else's Problem™ (well, a lower priority for me at any rate...)

Currently I'll be transferring here stuff from the alpha thread that is Co8-specific in nature, as well as misc stuff like typos etc, because I want to focus on TemplePlus first.

I guess you can also use this platform for suggesting changes to Co8 stuff (Codexian mannerisms welcome), but again, it's lower priority at this point.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
I found the probable cause of a bug I reported over in the old thread at Co8 concerning the zombies in the Moathouse dungeon not having damage reduction applied consistently.

As with the Deklo spiders, it seems to be conflicting properties in the MOB overriding those in the protos for most (all but 3) of the 10 or so zombies. Some MOB instances have a redundant entry for either the 'zombie' or 'plant' monster type properties in place of the DR property.

I'm wondering if that may have been deliberate in order to make the encounter a little easier for a low level party. Interesting bit of nostalgia... in 1st Ed AD&D, zombies have no specific physical DR. In the Hommlet module however, they get heavy resistance to piercing weapons (no more than 1pt applies). The 3.5ed or d20 zombie gets DR 5 (slashing)... which is actually more forgiving for bows and such. Personally, I feel every encounter should be a tactical puzzle and stress resources :obviously:, so why gimp these guys who already can't move and attack in the same round?

So whether or not that's a bug, I thought I'd dive into the World Builder and try 'fixing' them . The option to clean internal D20 states strips obj_f_conditions (which is where the DR should be), obj_f_permanent_mods and obj_f_permanent_mod_data. I didn't really want to clean all of that, but thought I'd experiment anyway to see whether the protos would cover it or something else would go wonky. It didn't work though... there was no apparent change. I saved my 'cleaned' .mobs and replaced those in the relevant map folder. So I'm guessing that data is either cached somewhere or baked into the save file... the edit should have at least broken something :?

Any insight?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
I don't know for certain, but my guess is that the 'clean internal d20 states' doesn't clear the flag that tells the game that the property is set in the MOB, only the data itself. So this might be ok for e.g. clearing out the gnolls' DR (known vanilla bug), but not resetting it for MOBs that SHOULD have it. I've run into the same issue with the Spiders btw, but didn't really feel like delving into it. To be honest, I think the simplest solution is to just spawn new zombies via WorldEd (and set the old ones to OF_OFF).

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Ah, so the packed .mob is still referenced in that case. I guess I could hunt for the offset and change it via hex editing instead stripping everything. Odd that those can't be directly edited by WB along with everything else.

But, as you say, just placing fresh zombies is probably easiest. Still getting the hang of WB and the general data layout. Thanks :)

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Well, the packed .mobs (in toee.dat) actually have DR on all zombies, but lack the monster:zombie and monster:plant properties. Hmm...

Unraveling 10 years of modding is hard :?

Heinous Hat

Scholar
OK, fixed it. I neglected the cache files in the map folder... clearing those got the cleaned .mob files in play. All of the zombies had DR 5 (slashing) and it was a much harder fight for the 2nd level party in my save.

I still wonder though, if it's pulling the properties from the prototype or from the packed .mob in toee.dat. The packed .mobs don't have the monster type properties (zombie and plant). Any idea what those do, specifically or where I can find the definitions?

Reported this one as a bug over at Co8... someone else mentioned it as well.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Nice find, hadn't thought of the map cache!

As for the packed files, I think the unpacked files just override them.

Monster Zombie causes you to have 1 standard action per round instead of std+move. Monster Plant renders you immune to Crit Hits and Sneak Attacks, and I think it also confers some immunities or something like that (probably to mind effects).

There's a breakdown of the Condition callbacks here: (when you apply a condition_add to an object, it appends these callbacks to their Dispatcher object)

https://github.com/GrognardsFromHell/DllDocumentation/wiki/Conditions-(List)

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
I had fixed some missing damage reduction on certain zombies in the moathouse dungeon .mob by using the 'clean' feature in the WorldBuilder... I think I posted something about it a couple of weeks ago. I'm curious what that actually entails in full though, other than to strip conflicting D20 properties.

For example, this is the relevant part of the mob prior to cleaning out the D20 state data..

attachment.php

In this case, obj_f_conditions lacks a DR property (along with an argument) and has a duplicate 'zombie' property instead. Cleaning that removes those and (I assume) defaults to the correct properties in the prototype. However, the clean feature also removes obj_f_permanent_mods and obj_f_permanent_mod_data. Some of that is contained in the proto (e.g. toughness) while some doesn't appear to be.

My question here is whether using 'clean D20 states' is a good approach to solving such inconsistencies, or if it's more like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly.

Also, I'm wondering whether the original (packed) copy of the .mob is completely overridden, or if it's data is aggregated with any modified copy present. In other words, is the prototype data used in the event you strip D20 state data, or does it default to the packed .mob?

I'm sure I'd have better insight if I went through the whole process of laying out an area and an encounter, but at the moment I'm just curious if it's feasible to apply quick fixes using WB, which lacks the ability to directly edit .mobs

Any enlightenment appreciated :?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
AFAIK mob gets completely overridden, the game uses differentials for saves only I think.

Most of the stuff in permanent_mods gets auto-added in the D20StatusInit function, except maybe the 17983 unidentified hash code (this might be a corrupted value?).

If the permanent mods / conditions object fields are cleared (this information should be flagged in the MOB) then once it tries to read those fields, it will fetch the values from the proto. Other than that you pretty much have full specs in the link above :)

On a somewhat related note, I've made some pretty good progress on mapping the various Event Types associated with Conditions - check it out: https://github.com/GrognardsFromHell/DllDocumentation/wiki/Conditions-(List)

Last edited:

Endarire

Scholar
-Otiluke's resilient sphere and meld into stone make the affected target immune to HP damage, but not ability loss. Thus, it's possible to get hit by Iuz who does HP and STR damage, but only negate the HP damage.

-It's possible to have a negative STR value. Normally, a creature can't have an ability score below 0.

Last edited:

SwingBlade

Educated
Can Horrid Wilting be adjusted to exclude friendlies? The spell as-written is targeted, and while I think the chosen interface for casting the spell is perfect (especially given how finnicky ToEE is with clicking multitarget spells), it is still important to note that it is in fact targeted. I should be able to cast it into a crowded area and have the effect avoid friendlies.

SwingBlade

Educated
Okay so this is probably more on me, but with Lareth in Burne's tower, I opted to KO him in order to take his boots. Then I restored him back up to normal, and smuggled him out of the tower. Then I sold the boots to the traders to get those encounters as well. I have Lareth as a vendor at the Tower, but the guards are still down in Burne's, blocking access to the vendor gal, and I snuck back down to the basement to discover another prisoner-version Lareth. Any suggestion how to fix this so the mage vendor is accessible again?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Okay so this is probably more on me, but with Lareth in Burne's tower, I opted to KO him in order to take his boots. Then I restored him back up to normal, and smuggled him out of the tower. Then I sold the boots to the traders to get those encounters as well. I have Lareth as a vendor at the Tower, but the guards are still down in Burne's, blocking access to the vendor gal, and I snuck back down to the basement to discover another prisoner-version Lareth. Any suggestion how to fix this so the mage vendor is accessible again?
I think that's intentional, since Burne is upset with you for freeing Lareth. Either way it's a Co8 piece of content so I'm reluctant to change that sort of thing.

Etharil

Novice
Sorry for a double, but spotted a bug with the AI that I'm not sure if it happens in Vanilla as well - once Iuz resurrects every evil being into a zombie state, the risen undead bugbears and wizards will use potions of cure wounds, effectively comitting a sudoku if the 'healing' is strong enough. Perhaps Iuz's dark resurrection could change their potions into unholy ones?

Endarire

Scholar
I'm unsure if this is Co8-specific, but hide from undead (Cleric spell) with a high enough caster level let me target one creature more than once. There was no additional effect for this.

Etharil

Novice
Posting this here as it happened during a fight with Old White Dragon and the biggest monstrous spiders in the matriarch level of gnome quarters and the cavern with big spiders: My cleric was able to dismiss SPELL_NONE, clicking on it gave no results of course. I have a save with this specific issue. Will mail it later once the internet is more stable.
The biggest spider guarding the matriarch doesn't initiate combat and initiating combat with my thief caused the entire game to glitch out as he was next to it. I have a log which might reveal this but no save.

My Wizard used Delayed Blast Fireball in a cave between Matriarch and Young White Dragons on the spiders - it exploded immediately and the game used the animation and of a lightning bolt for a missile AND the explosion of a fireball for some reason. My Front-End is set to 1 turn delay, so I'm confused. The log has that as well, but no save.

On the other hand whose idea was it to use such an oversized, pixelated gargoyle model for a dragon?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
My Wizard used Delayed Blast Fireball in a cave between Matriarch and Young White Dragons on the spiders - it exploded immediately and the game used the animation and of a lightning bolt for a missile AND the explosion of a fireball for some reason. My Front-End is set to 1 turn delay, so I'm confused. The log has that as well, but no save.
Heh, I thought no one would use the delay feature so I didn't bother replicating it for Temple+. I don't know why the author of the spell used a lightning bolt effect - maybe to signify that the "delayed blast seed" was created?

On the other hand whose idea was it to use such an oversized, pixelated gargoyle model for a dragon?
I feel the same... originally it used the Ice Lizard model (same as the wyrmlings). The rationale for the change was to differentiate it from the ice lizard model or something like that but IMO it's a poor choice. I don't like to interfere with matters of taste though so if you want it changed you'll have to take it up with the Co8 or mod it yourself.

Etharil

Novice
Heh, I thought no one would use the delay feature so I didn't bother replicating it for Temple+. I don't know why the author of the spell used a lightning bolt effect - maybe to signify that the "delayed blast seed" was created?

I feel the same... originally it used the Ice Lizard model (same as the wyrmlings). The rationale for the change was to differentiate it from the ice lizard model or something like that but IMO it's a poor choice. I don't like to interfere with matters of taste though so if you want it changed you'll have to take it up with the Co8 or mod it yourself.
Could I suggest using the animation of Produce Flame's projectile for DBF if you can change that? I don't think that one is a matter of taste (the dragon I can live with as a nostalgia thing) and it just seems awkward.

deuxhero

Arcane
The AI thinks Resilient Sphere (disable target, make them unkillable) is a buff spell
yxggav.png

I had to skip a lot of turns to kill this guy

Luckily that seems to be the only AI character to actually have the spell.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
The AI thinks Resilient Sphere (disable target, make them unkillable) is a buff spell
I had to skip a lot of turns to kill this guy

Luckily that seems to be the only AI character to actually have the spell.

I think that was intentional - he tries to make you go away or something like that.

This is a strange one, and it's probably on me, but when I open up Temple+ and load a game, I can't use the mouse to scroll left or right. Up and down work just fine, but I need to use the arrow keys for left or right.

Hmm, what resolution are you using? Windowed or fullscreen? Is the game letterboxed?

Endarire

Scholar
Otiluke's resilient sphere (and probably also meld into stone) prevented HP damage to my party, but not ability damage! These should also prevent ability damage!

Zelnorack

Novice
I've got another bug. After letting Senshoc or whoever, the greater wizard of the greater temple, escape, everyone became hostile to my party. Guess the only workaround is to start over. For the 10th time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom