Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Code Vein - new action RPG from God Eater devs at Bandai Namco

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Beat Butterfly and Pole Dancer.

Butterfly would not stay off my shit, NPC could not hold agro for shit

Pole dancer statused the shit out of me within 10 seconds. Also same for NPC not holding ago

NPC was Yakamo.

But :despair:

Had to finally call in Multiplayer help to beat them

Zep--

Child of Malkav

Erudite

Pole dancer statused the shit out of me within 10 seconds. Also same for NPC not holding ago

NPC was Yakamo.

Zep--
You're playing with companions? Bruh.....

Reinhardt

Arcane
Yakumo can just kill poledancer solo. When people talk about companion=easy mode they mean Yakumo.

Reinhardt

Arcane

NPC was Yakamo.

Zep--
You're playing with companions? Bruh.....
I'm running with Mia. She's useless but cute.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Finally, the invading executioner is down. And I realized why it took me so long. Because she one shots me with pretty much every attack I just didn't survive long enough to learn her moves, to get the correct timings for dodges as I got hit it was something I couldn't recover from.
Once I saw all her attacks and got the timings down, that's when I started seeing actual progress. In 2 tries, she was down to 40%. ln 4 tries, down to 10%. 5th was final.
But yeah, extremely cheap bullshit.
Make the boss one shot you in order to prevent you from learning the attacks and finding the correct timings, artificially prolonging a fight that isn't difficult, as the boss only has 4-5 different attacks.
This is exactly the reason I avoid playing Souls like clones, they're either too easy or too filled with cheap shit. Just leave it to the experts. From Software probably got this down to a science.
Anyway, I said it before and I'll say it again: the maps are beautiful. I just reached this game's version of Anor Londo and it's unreal. Gonna explore it tomorrow.
For a clone, it's a pretty solid one, I'll give it that. But From titles are by far superior.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Also, I'm starting to regret my caster choice. Up until now, I only found a blood veil that increases dark damage. Like, gear for mages is non existent. I watched some YouTube videos and melee characters output so much damage it's insane.
But I'm gonna stick to it, hoping it gets better. I'm waiting to get that harmonia blood code, saw it in a video, seemed pretty powerful. Until then, playing like a normal fighter with some ranged damage until I run out of ichor and have to get into melee to recover it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Also, I'm starting to regret my caster choice. Up until now, I only found a blood veil that increases dark damage. Like, gear for mages is non existent. I watched some YouTube videos and melee characters output so much damage it's insane.
But I'm gonna stick to it, hoping it gets better. I'm waiting to get that harmonia blood code, saw it in a video, seemed pretty powerful. Until then, playing like a normal fighter with some ranged damage until I run out of ichor and have to get into melee to recover it.
If you haven't yet, you should give that poison based code a try, it's got good caster stats and the passive gives you plenty of ichor. Was the point that casting started to seem viable to me.

so goys how does it compare to dark souls 1?

is the combat speed faster paced? I liked the slowish rhythm of DS1. It was one fo the few games with aakshun combat i was able to play with satisfaction without rage quit.

also whats the magic/special skill system like? vancian / mana based / some weird hybrid / something else?

keyboard mouse controls?

hows the variety of weapons? melee weapon movesets feel? any ranged weapons?

Damned Registrations

Combat is similar, it's got all the same basic trappings (light and heavy attacks, backstabs, stamina, blocking, rollspam, poise)

The magic/skill system is based on a resource called ichor, which you build up by hitting things, and by doing things like backstabs and parrys and charged attacks, you can raise the cap as well until you rest. You have room for 8 active and 4 passive skills at once, and can change them around freely whenever you want, as long as they aren't a buff currently active.
Weapon variety is decent. There's not any real ranged weapons, theres some guns but they have incredibly short range and consume ichor to fire. Theres like 5 classes of weapons but something in the halberd class can vary between a stabby spear, a slow ass pole axe or a fairly speedy halberd. Individual weapons have different movesets, especially their heavy attacks.

You also get special melee skills that only work with some classes of weapon generally, they have short cooldowns like the spells and generally feel fun to use, and can fill gaps in a weapon's moveset.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
so goys how does it compare to dark souls 1?

I'd say it's a solid 3/5 game. If you really love Dark Souls, it will partially scratch that itch. However, if you don't like Souls, it really doesn't do enough to transcend its genre to make it noteworthy. I probably would have regretted it had I paid $60, but I got it for $40 off a key site. I'd say it's probably worth $20.

Pros:

-Combat is fun.
-Basically has Dark Souls' weapon scaling system, except weapons scale off of a combination of your class (which can be changed at will) and any str/dex/will items you have equiped.
-Lots of variety of builds and strategies for play. Tons of weapons and they can all be upgraded with elementals if you want.
-Lots of grindy shit to find and collect, if that's your thing.

Cons:
-Shit level design. The levels are really linear, only occasionally opening up into slightly larger areas (think 2000s era Bioware). A couple will have you running around trying to find switches, but there's nothing as interesting as Dark Souls. In terms of art design, most are drab, post-apocalyptic, boredom.
-I haven't tried NG+ yet, but I'm about half way through NG and it's far too easy. Between the start of the game and the Anor Londo rip-off level, I died just 4 times (twice fighting the butterfly snake boss lady, and twice when I was mobed by a bunch of monsters in two different areas of the cliff level). The game seems to have lots of customizable builds, but I didn't have to strategize much at all until I got to that invasion portion of the Anor Lando level (at which point I promptly died 6 times in a row, and finally beat it when I redid myself as a tank with lots of HP).
-I hate anime, and the plot is very anime in all the worst ways, so I'm not terribly taken with it. Plus, I have an OCD thing about forcing myself to watch all cutscenes, and, holy shit, this game has a lot of cut scenes. Many featuring characters walking very, very slowly from one side of a map to the other while horrible anime dialog plays.

Regarding my playstyle, I've settled into playing a high Dex + high Strength halberd build. Halberds do AOE damage and are the best weapons in the game. I can 2 shot most common enemies.

Last edited:
-Shit level design. The levels are really linear, only occasionally opening up into slightly larger areas (think 2000s era Bioware). A couple will have you running around trying to find switches, but there's nothing as interesting as Dark Souls. In terms of art design, most are drab, post-apocalyptic, boredom.
this makes it a difficult for me to convince myself to try it. I LOVED the incredible 3-D level design in Dark Souls. First time i played blind i was amazed at those nifty shortcuts you find.

-I hate anime, and the plot is very anime in all the worst ways, so I'm not terribly taken with it. Plus, I have an OCD thing about forcing myself to watch all cutscenes, and, holy shit, this game has a lot of cut scenes. Many featuring characters walking very, very slowly from one side of a map to the other while horrible anime dialog plays.
welp other than exploration and the melee combat of DS, what i loved was the storytelling style. The subtle, figure it yourself stuff from item descriptions and what not. Not the in your face kawai animu weeb shit otherwise popular in Nippon.

While the other stuff does sound interesting to tolerable; drab level design and weeb shit together make it a no-deal for me. Even if only one of these two major cons where present, I would ahve loved to give it a try.

:cry:

Hope of Incline wanes as Weeby Despair Reigns.

Reinhardt

Arcane
At least i started dying. Usually to cathedral invasions and super yetis later. Too much shit happens at same time so it's not always possible to facetank with my zweihander.
Mia dies very fast and i'm usually too busy to revive her so it's mostly solo now when i'm pushing to next camp.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
header__chara_2.png

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Navigating Anor Londo is confusing, holy shit. But it's also very linear.
As you map it out, you only ever have 1 maybe 2 ways to go somewhere but you end up at the same place so don't really see the point. I'm at the 3rd mistle now and many enemies can be avoided WoW style.
They have an aggro range and as long as you stay out of that you can avoid pulling them.
Also, for those who play mages, the enemies are weak to lightning and ice. Makes farming upgrade materials easier.

Edit: also every door in existence is locked. Not even Soulsbornekiro games had this many locked gates.

Edit: also every door in existence is locked. Not even Soulsbornekiro games had this many locked gates.
these guys possess 4 meters long weapons capable of slicing a gigantic killer demon of armored death but can't knock a rusty iron door. this is some kind of retardation i'll never be able to wrap my head around.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Snow area boss was actually easier than regular jumping yetis. You can easily block his attacks AND you can't fall from arena.

Now i have Io in my party. Bye-bye, Mia.

Damned Registrations

I was liking the offensive magic for a while until I started to get the really broken support magic.

Also, if you want to make a lot of areas much easier
transform you veil with the area's element, it gives 50 more points of defense, which can make you like 90-100 percent immune to that element.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Gilded hunter raped me hard. Then i found you just need to go full turtle for a bit. Then i raped him hard.

Hardest enemy so far is pits and ledges. they killed me more times than all bosses combined.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Playing a Zweihander (Fortified) build in heavy armor, I wonder how I should transform the Veil.
Also Fortification? Or perhaps the increased Drain rating (Artemis?.. the one from Mia)? Seems to be like 50% more Drain (presumably also from regular attacks).

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'm sick right now so spent all day playing Code Vein. Io is very modest girl. "I'm weak" she said. I don't know how she will be on ng+ but right now if something jump me from behind she kills it before i even start combat.

Also catgirl is the funniest boss ever. Me and Io both finished battle with full hp. In second phase boss completely ignored me and focused on Io and she tanked it like a pro while i just slashed kitty from behind non-stop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom