Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Code Vein - new action RPG from God Eater devs at Bandai Namco

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What's the "normal" mode here? Having a companion makes the game easy or going solo is hard mode?
kind of, yeah.

the game is pretty easy with a companion tbh. they will usually try to resurrect you a couple of times if your health hits zero, provided they have regeneration left.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I would say going solo is fair difficulty, aside from the invasions, which are bullshit. Depends on how much you dump into levels and gear and all that of course.

You're clearly meant to bring a companion with you given all the mechanics for it though.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

the game isn't really meant to be "le hardcore souls experience(tm)" though.

it's basically a chill anime simulator with combat, so not taking a companion rob the experience a bit.

it really depends on how challenging you want the game to be.

that said, if it really is easy for you, you will increase the difficulty yourself by going on for long stretches without needing to go back and rest. The more you rest, the more respawned enemies you grind through and the more your levels will go up.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'm just running around with zweihander +3 and kill stuff. Louis is here to buff my attack because i'm too lazy to do it myself.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I caved in and bought it.

Its janky and well, the beginning was very weak, but I'm kinda glad I suffered trough it. The various Code Blood and Gift combinations are kinda addictive. Finding items to unlock them feels properly rewarding. Boss fights are okay - well, far more entertaining then the countless trash mobs.
And with the Zweihander I finally have a moveset I enjoy.

I think the companion system is a mistake. Same story as Dark Souls - when you have a summon, you steamroll everything and even boss fights are far less demanding. Even moreso that the companions here actually revive you 3 times per rest... Without them, the game would be much better balanced and challenging. You'd need to keep on your toes and pay attention, rather then rush trough content all the time.

But generally I feel that Nioh and Dragon's Dogma have spoiled me in regard to action RPGs. I find the Souls-like combat model lacking, even moreso when its more janky, like Code Vein. Nioh is just so much superior. Wonder if some other games will ever reach its level of combat system excellence (other then Nioh 2, that is).

I caved in and bought it.

Its janky and well, the beginning was very weak, but I'm kinda glad I suffered trough it. The various Code Blood and Gift combinations are kinda addictive. Finding items to unlock them feels properly rewarding. Boss fights are okay - well, far more entertaining then the countless trash mobs.
And with the Zweihander I finally have a moveset I enjoy.

I think the companion system is a mistake. Same story as Dark Souls - when you have a summon, you steamroll everything and even boss fights are far less demanding. Even moreso that the companions here actually revive you 3 times per rest... Without them, the game would be much better balanced and challenging. You'd need to keep on your toes and pay attention, rather then rush trough content all the time.

But generally I feel that Nioh and Dragon's Dogma have spoiled me in regard to action RPGs. I find the Souls-like combat model lacking, even moreso when its more janky, like Code Vein. Nioh is just so much superior. Wonder if some other games will ever reach its level of combat system excellence (other then Nioh 2, that is).
I actually quite enjoy the gameplay as well, even though it's nowhere near as tight as the source-material it's copying. That being said, it has its own unique elements and it's fun to play. I also like the boss design quite a bit so far. I fully agree with the companion system being a complete mistake. It's basically easy mode, and that really eliminates the point of this subgenre of games, which is rising up to and defeating challenges. You can see it for yourself with the bosses. The first time I fought the delirium butterfly I almost steamrolled her since I had help (75% dead in a matter of seconds). After that I decided to try without aide and it took me ~two dozen tries to beat her. By the end I had to perfectly master all of her moveset to defeat her and that felt amazing. I wholeheartedly believe that you will be robbing yourself of the thrill of the game if you bring companions along.

Luckily, the game does allow you not bringing companions along, so that's a problem solved. I do wish they redirected all the resources they spent on companions to improve map design though. The maps here remind of God Eater 3, and well, that's not a comparison you'd want. At the very least the maps do feature some folding on itself, and I really like the minimap.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
What annoys me is that the maps are filled, literally filled with enemies, you take 5 steps and I shit you not, there's a new ambush, either from around a corner, or some just jumps on you from a taller structure or they hang on some ledge and when you go past they climb and attack you.
Of course, by now I know this stuff so it doesn't surprise me but I think they overdid it.
And yes, play without companions. The game is actually quite difficult.
Maps are pretty big and beautiful, atmosphere is good. Story/premise interesting and setting is well done.
Another thing that's infuriating, at least for me is that enemies behave like they have no stamina bar. Like, they just attack, relentlessly, maybe a few pauses here and there otherwise it's just non stop. And this becomes apparent during those sections with the invasions. Holy shit, there are 3 enemies that are invading and after you kill one, another one spawns. If you kill 2, 2 spawn, so the number of enemies stays the same, at 3. And you have to kill each enemy 4 or 5 times, I'm not sure, but when combined with their OTT aggression, yeah, you're in trouble.
Also I managed to find 5 Regen increases (basically the equivalent of estis shards or gourd seeds) so I have 6 healing doses that heal for 400 or so points. I'm 9 hours in, just defeated the delirium butterfly (beautiful arena, initially I thought that was a web and the boss would be a spider) and now I'm at the dried trenches.
Also, enemies that have halberds, love to spam that spin-2-win attack like there's no tomorrow.
And funnily enough (or sadly) when you complete a story objective, in the cutscenes you can see the 2 guys from the beginning accompanying you as if I had them with me the entire time. Not every aspect of this game has been thought out out it seems. It's the same annoying issue as with Ghost Recon Wildlands, where if you disable your AI companions, their remarks and dialogue happen as if they're there with you.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I somehow missed butterfly part of the map at first and went to flooded area. Enemies here give lots of exp for start of the game and very easy to kill - literally roll to close range and 3 hit zweihander combo each. So i've spent few hours unlocking passives and buffs from all codes i'm not planning to use.
Butterfly still pretty hard for beginner boss but doable. Louis can solo her at least to 1/2 hp and he's not even that good in battle compared to Yakumo. I watched him fight while rolling around and learning. Still died to venom in the end.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I'm playing a caster and the bolt does 300-400 damage to a boss, 500-600 to a normal enemy, but I still use a very fast sword, upgraded to get ichor back. Also, the fireball does 1.5-1.7k to a boss but it costs 6 ichor to cast. I just can't find any gear for mages, I keep upgrading the blood veil and leveling up as that gives more HP and spell damage.
Also, where can I farm Queen's steel? I really need that.
Edit: typos.

Puukko

Arcane
I'm playing a caster and the bolt does 300-400 damage to a boss, 500-600 to a normal enemy, but I still use a very fast sword, upgraded to get ichor back. Also, the fireball does 1.5-1.7k to a boss but it costs 6 ichor to cast. I just can't find any gear for mages, I keep upgrading the blood veil and leveling up as that gives more HP and spell damage.
Also, where can I farm Queen's steel? I really need that.
Edit: typos.
Queen's steel only becomes available in Anor Londo, I spent a long time looking for it as well since my weapons were +4 early on.

Beat the game and got what I am quite certain is the worst ending. I fully plan on doing a NG++ run but whether that'll be immediately or after a break remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Poledancer took me forever. Slow is a death sentence and her charge attack in the second phase usually one shot me. I can't even remember who despot is so I'm guessing it wasn't that tough. I've definitely had some bosses go splat without much of a fight though. The most recent one I fought was a motherfucker OTOH; took me ages and some pretty cheesy techniques to win.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I defeated despot easily. Butterfly, eh, took me some time. But I'm absolutely stuck on invading executioner. She one shots me with that charging attack in her 2nd phase and if you stay close to her she can do that AoE attack which can one shot you if you don't get away and chances are you won't because all the attacks are so damn fast. Yeah they are telegraphed somewhat but the attack is super fast.
Anyway I eventually made some progress, during her charge if you lock on to her, and you should, just dodge to the left when she charges you, she always misses. Now I only have to figure out how to, you know deal damage to her, from melee range. Even though I play as a caster but I run out of ichor if I spam spells and I need to get close to enemies to recover ichor by hitting them, but with this chick it's very difficult as she can do the charge even when you're close, it's not proximity based.
This game was definitely designed for co-op. The amount of enemies and HP of bosses is through the roof. Also locking on can either make some fights very difficult or very easy.

Puukko

Arcane
It went a bit overboard in Anor Londo with enemies constantly climbing up ledges but other than that it wasn't too excessive.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Not really, there are lengthy stretches of empty areas.
There are, yes, but they are the exception not the rule. 99% of the time there are enemies either hiding, hanging or lying down (yes, DkS style) pretty much everywhere. Some of them, due to the textures, camouflage themselves really well with the environment.
They went overboard. It's clearly designed for co-op.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom