Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Company News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has trademarked cancelled time travel RPG Meantime...and also Van Buren?!

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Brian Fargo; Fallout 3 (Van Buren); InXile Entertainment; Meantime

That's right, Roguey has done it again! As you probably know, we recently learned that inXile Entertainment had begun preliminary work on their next RPG. The popular assumption was that the game would be a proper revival of The Bard's Tale, the series of "Wizardry killer" dungeon crawlers that put Interplay on the map way back in the 1980s. But now, this:

[​IMG]
    Meantime, in case you're unaware, was an ambitious time travel RPG that was in development at Interplay in the late 80s but never saw release. A resurrection of Meantime has been a popular "black horse candidate" for inXile's next game among fans, but most people thought it was too obscure for that to ever actually happen.

But now, this trademark. Once again, as was the case with Torment back in 2012, it's owned by "Roxy Friday, LLC", which we know is an entity owned by Brian Fargo. Does this mean that inXile's next game is definitely Meantime? I'm not totally sure about that - it is possible that they're just grabbing everything they might someday need before anybody else does. It could even be an elaborate put-on. But judging from what has happened before, the odds just became a lot higher.

UPDATE: Wait, what?

[​IMG]

Okay, I officially don't know what's going on anymore.

• Brofist Brofist x 53
    ^ Top  
  2. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    And the Codex destroys Fargo's carefully built media hype campaign yet again...

• Brofist Brofist x 28
    ^ Top  
  3. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :yeah:

I'm just glad they didn't choose to torment the poor Bard's Tale's corpse any further (unless they would've chosen for it to be a blobber, of course).

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  4. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Hohoho, Codex (and Roguey) always delivers for the Holiday season.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Curious_Tongue Larpfest Patron

Curious_Tongue
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
    They need a project to invest all that Wasteland 2 profit in to.

Oh wait

^ Top  
  6. Sitra Achara Arcane Patron

Sitra Achara
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I bet Brother None told him to do it just to fuck with us.

• Brofist Brofist x 19
    ^ Top  
  7. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    This time, it really needs more bloom.

^ Top  
  8. Cosmo Arcane

Cosmo
    Project: Eternity
    So western Chrono Trigger it is... :hero:

^ Top  
  9. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Are you trying to hype me up for this or something.

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    ^ Top  
  10. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Now watch as all the gaming journo's demonstrate their professional standards by reporting on this news without crediting the Codex as the source.

Although it'll force Fargo to make a statement on whether or not Meantime is in the making.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  11. Diablo169 Arcane

Diablo169
    If this is just copyright trolling I'ma cry. Otherwise i'm preaty happy about this.

^ Top  
  12. Cosmo Arcane

Cosmo
    Project: Eternity
    Maybe, but that's also something i told myself ages ago, when i first read about Meantime...

^ Top  
  13. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    • Brofist Brofist x 42
    ^ Top  
  14. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    meantime at rpg codex

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    ^ Top  
  15. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    I am satisfied. I have recently posted about my preferences for time travel over bards tale and Fargo listened to it. Back in November.... So I guess he has done some successful tests on the time travel as a reference point:P

^ Top  
  16. garren Arcane

garren
    Funny, I was just replaying Chrono Trigger, been like 15 years since I last played it.

..carry on.

^ Top  
  17. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    :yeah:

I will definitely support this if it's Meantime. I mean how many time travelling western crpgs do we have? Inxile could really deliver here from all the money they get from W2 and Torment and especially experience that they will have by their 3rd crpg. I have high hopes for them.

^ Top  
  18. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Let's have the Wasteland 2 writing team handle the complexities of a time travel plot, great idea. :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    FTFY

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. KingDinosaurGames King Dinosaur Games Patron Developer

KingDinosaurGames
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    A+ discovery, hyped as fuckkkkk

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Whoa. I was joking when I suggested Meantime in my Kickstarter comments. I mean, I hoped, but I didn't dream they would actually do it. Fucking crazy. Very much looking forward to the announcement, whatever it is, but now I'll be disappointed if it isn't this.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Tzaero DEPARTED Patron

Tzaero
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Now how the hell are they gonna pull this off..

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Diablo169 Arcane

Diablo169
    I'm personally hoping for a CRPG version of Radiant Historia and Chrono Trigger.

^ Top  
  24. Visperas Savant

Visperas
    Was there some kind of story for Meantime back when besides time-travel? Characters? Plot? Anything?

^ Top  
  25. Diablo169 Arcane

Diablo169
    If you combine the above with Radiant Historia's non linear branching storylines we could have something amazing. The ability to travel back and fowards in time, and across multiple timelines? I need to lower my expectations.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)