Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has trademarked cancelled time travel RPG Meantime...and also Van Buren?!

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
6b8502f678.jpg

Welp. He's seen it.

EDIT: By the way, http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2ojtyv/brian_fargoinxile_entertainment_has_acquired_the/ inb4 all news sites cover the story.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
It would be interesting to visit the different times, like:
Late Middle Ages, Renaissance, Japan Edo jidai, Wild West times, Victorian times, World War 2 and Cold War times.
The question would be if we could recruit only real historical characters or also fictional.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Idea for inXile: Josh Sawyer as a stretch goal, so he can finally work on the historical RPG Obsidian doesn't want to make. He could provide systems/gameplay feedback (like Gabe Newell did for Deus Ex) and/or design an area.

It'll also be worth it for the groaning that would inevitably happen on its announcement.

Diablo169

Arcane
Does anyone remember the amount of time that passed between the previous uncovering of the Torment trademark, and the eventually announcement and kickstarter? Just wondering how far this might be away.

Diablo169

Arcane
Does anyone remember the amount of time that passed between the previous uncovering of the Torment trademark, and the eventually announcement and kickstarter? Just wondering how far this might be away.

The Codex tag system makes researching that easy: http://www.rpgcodex.net/tags.php?id=1171

Thanks Infinitron. So if we follow roughly the same pattern we may see an official announcement in the new year, and a Kickstarter in March.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The Codex tag system makes researching that easy: http://www.rpgcodex.net/tags.php?id=1171

Thanks Infinitron. So if we follow roughly the same pattern we may see an official announcement in the new year, and a Kickstarter in March.

Maybe. But now that inXile have a better idea of how long it takes to make one of these games, they might choose to delay it a bit longer, to better synch up with Torment's development.

Quarex

Novice
Not to mention Brian Fargo got the rights to Wasteland back ~12 years before the sequel appeared. Yes, there were plenty of other reasons for the delay, obviously, but this could just mean their next-next project is a Mean Time reboot... Err, boot, I guess. Odds are they would not have already started working on a new game that they just trademarked weeks ago... ....maybe.

So Roxy Friday is this company through Fargo collects trademarks? Then I have found something....

25u4rvr.jpg

Source:
http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber= 86426870&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

So Fargo is bound on bringing dead back from grave? He is our gaming necromancer.
:necro:

Edit: Some trademarks are also held under inXile Entertainment (like Wasteland), nothing interesting, except that "Desert Ranger" is trademarked. I think it doesn't mean we will have an expansion under this title, it was trademarked back in 2012, so I rather think Fargo have done it on order to protect the brand :
http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber= 85629691&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Edit 2: Links are now fixed.

Last edited:

himmy

Arcane
Fargo is obviously using the "several limos" method of transporting a celebrity. Sure, one of those trademarks is probably for real, but which one is it?

Visperas

Augur
What's the point in trademarking Van Buren? Are the desing documents or something like that in the pack or is it simply the two words?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe President Martin Van Buren will be a joinable companion in Meantime. :troll:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Has it just occurred to someone that when Fargo talked about a "passionately demanded" RPG he really was just referencing the constants comparisons drawn between Fallout and Wasteland?

Now, if they did make Van Buren, I'm not sure what they could make out of it, I don't know if Beth owns the design documents however..

himmy

Arcane
Maybe President Martin Van Buren will be a joinable companion in Meantime. :troll:

Van Buren will be the third companion you're supposed to get. Despite being extremely promising, the quest always ends up in a Quest Failed message, because the quest giver is mauled by wild creatures. In the second half of the game, you are surprised and excited to receive the quest again, from a different quest giver. You hurry to finish the quest and do so, only to realize your new companions is George W. Bush, instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom