Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has trademarked cancelled time travel RPG Meantime...and also Van Buren?!

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Joking aside this copyright doesnt really make much sense. Van Buren was only a codename.
Yeah, my thought too. They can call it whatever the fuck they want without needing to file a trademark if it's not the name of the final product.

Still, if by some chance it actually is Van Buren, Chris Avellone or GTFO.

himmy

Arcane
This reminds me of the time that everyone assumed the (not yet officially announced) Project: Eternity was an RPG based on The Wheel of Time.

Couldn't resist/was bored:
2nler8k.jpg

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not to mention Brian Fargo got the rights to Wasteland back ~12 years before the sequel appeared. Yes, there were plenty of other reasons for the delay, obviously, but this could just mean their next-next project is a Mean Time reboot... Err, boot, I guess. Odds are they would not have already started working on a new game that they just trademarked weeks ago... ....maybe.

At this point I think Brian probably just trademarks everything he sees. :P

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
He'll need to get Bethesda's blessing for Van Buren.
Why? I doubt they will make obvious not Fallout 3. Maybe new ip or Wasteland sequel?

The Franchise is worth hundreds of millions of dollars to Bethesda. Possibly more.

I can't see them turning a blind eye to remaking or a re imagining of a cancelled Fallout game.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Never heard of it.
What was the development idea behind that?

Not entirely clear on the specifics, but Fargo didn't like the experience or the results and blamed Bethesda for being an unequal partner. Knowing Bethesda, it probably entailed giving no funding, taking all profit, and being a dick about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom